Thread: Thinking on starting a Dragon

Default Thinking on starting a Dragon

I have some questions

If i don't get the lair sub, how important is the lair?

Can the scales equipped change the shape or color or be visible on dragons?

I tried Dragon to about 25 long time ago and i got bored of using same skills, whereas a biped have so many options, Do i get more diversified skills at higher levels?

Default Re: Thinking on starting a Dragon

Lair or plot are not required to play but are helpful in storing items and lvling your lairshaper school. Scales don't alter your appearance. There exist decoration masks though,they don't change shape of the head but they put a pattern on your head.
    Dragons have a set of unique spells that bipeds don't have but generally as you lv,you upgrade your abilities and spells. Bipeds many abilities come from 28 different adventure schools... for now dragons have only 1.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by ramonsantana View Post
    I have some questions

I tried Dragon to about 25 long time ago and i got bored of using same skills, whereas a biped have so many options, Do i get more diversified skills at higher levels?
    Lair and sub only add to storage and would help in leveling your crafts.

You don't get any more skills. You have the same two bars worth. You do get some breath attacks later on, but that's about it.

You'll be a better player sticking to bipeds. ;p
    rip

If you're looking to play a dragon with the maximum number of buttons to push, I'd suggest playing as a hybrid that can use melee and spells equally well. Get every spell there is, hunt down every ability out there, and work towards level 100, adulthood, and ancienthood since there are some things you can only get at level 100 or are limited to adult or ancient.

Playing like that you end up getting about 5 full hotkey bars for things you'll use in combat including melee abilities, damaging spells, breath attacks, debuffs, buffs, healing spells, and miscellaneous abilities. For even more diversity, you can make multiple scale sets that can easily switch your strongest attacks and defenses to fit the occasion. Less flexibility than bipeds of course but you can still get a fairly wide range of things you can do on just one dragon character.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Don't forget you will get the ability to fly later so no more running around.
    100 / 100 / 100 / 100 Lunus
    "Mythclaws" Saris

Quote Originally Posted by ramonsantana View Post
    I have some questions

Dragons are a completely different barreled of fish. Dragons are completely different to any other class or race as a whole it takes alot of skill to play as a dragon and win in doing so if you want a challenge you will love playing as a dragon. If you end up being a dragon know they can be the most heavily armored race in the game and can have more armor then a biped tank could ever wish. with the recent buffs to dragon scales tier 6 scales a level 100 dragon can have 500 more armor then a biped mine stands right now unbuffed around 3080 while buffed its at 3500-3600 armor points so you can tank like a crazy sob dragons are like in the storys huge as tanks with a strength of a titan.

Course it depends on how you wanna play as your dragon as a whole ^^;;
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDemon View Post
    Dragons are a completely different barreled of fish. Dragons are completely different to any other class or race as a whole it takes alot of skill to play as a dragon and win in doing so if you want a challenge you will love playing as a dragon. If you end up being a dragon know they can be the most heavily armored race in the game and can have more armor then a biped tank could ever wish. with the recent buffs to dragon scales tier 6 scales a level 100 dragon can have 500 more armor then a biped mine stands right now unbuffed around 3080 while buffed its at 3500-3600 armor points so you can tank like a crazy sob dragons are like in the storys huge as tanks with a strength of a titan.

Course it depends on how you wanna play as your dragon as a whole ^^;;
    Wait... WHAT?? *resists the urge to B Vs D* I am not gonna turn this into a dragon vs biped BUT.. Dragons are VERY simple to play successfully.. although only at a mediocre level.. However if you want to be in the top tier of players *looks at alisto* then yes that does require skill..
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Wait... WHAT?? *resists the urge to B Vs D* I am not gonna turn this into a dragon vs biped BUT.. Dragons are VERY simple to play successfully.. although only at a mediocre level.. However if you want to be in the top tier of players *looks at alisto* then yes that does require skill..
    I agree on this, dragons are insanely easy to play successfully, heck you can go to lvl 100 in less than a month if you're used to and know the grind. and still be recklessly overpowered.

I'm saying this as I'm working on upgrading my crafting set on my lvl 67 dragon...who is fighting enemies well over his level in an incomplete T3 crafting set.

There is essentially no dragon build that will be unplayable so no matter how you distribute training points or what you put on your gear, you will likely not have any problems having a playable build. Though as Calyndrell said, if you want to be exceptionally powerful that does take skill. It's comparatively easy to get a maxed dragon character, but it does take skill to make that maxed character more than "passable." There's quite a big difference between a level 100 dragon who has put little to no effort getting there and a level 100 dragon who has put in a lot of effort fine-tuning and tweaking their build to be as powerful as possible. Essentially the difference between a dragon who dies in the first 10 seconds of an epic fight and a dragon who stays alive the whole epic fight.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    There is essentially no dragon build that will be unplayable so no matter how you distribute training points or what you put on your gear, you will likely not have any problems having a playable build. Though as Calyndrell said, if you want to be exceptionally powerful that does take skill. It's comparatively easy to get a maxed dragon character, but it does take skill to make that maxed character more than "passable." There's quite a big difference between a level 100 dragon who has put little to no effort getting there and a level 100 dragon who has put in a lot of effort fine-tuning and tweaking their build to be as powerful as possible. Essentially the difference between a dragon who dies in the first 10 seconds of an epic fight and a dragon who stays alive the whole epic fight.
    That is very true, Machaeon, there is a difference if you take little effort and not trained well you will die very easily in an epic fight compared to one person who put in effort and is well trained.

Another example, IMHO, where the difference lies in the experience - within Istaria - of the player. I have my Ancient (Tondargaet), so, getting one of my alts (like Berda) to Ancient status would be relatively easy, although I'd put the work in to have Berda be a very good example of a Lunus dragon.

But, when I first began Tondar, I was completely new to Istaria, and getting that fat little white hatchie up to Adult and then Ancient was definitely NOT easy...and, that's a very good thing, as I was forced to learn the game (and, am still learning it). I had a lot of help and made a lot of friends along the way...another very good thing!

Having said that, I'll freely admit that dragons are a whole lot easier than bipeds to level successfully...I've tried, several times, to work on a biped alt, and I've never gotten past the mid-teens...confusion about what I should do, along with missing being able to fly and kicking butt on just about everything I run in to (and, a bit of laziness...lol) brings me back to my Ancient.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilithia View Post
    Lair or plot are not required to play but are helpful in storing items and lvling your lairshaper school. Scales don't alter your appearance. There exist decoration masks though,they don't change shape of the head but they put a pattern on your head.
    Dragons have a set of unique spells that bipeds don't have but generally as you lv,you upgrade your abilities and spells. Bipeds many abilities come from 28 different adventure schools... for now dragons have only 1.
    Where does one get these masks to add head patterns? Do they work on hatchlings?
    IGN - Primordia Starlighter - hatchling on Order

Masks are found at the Fall harvest festival at New Brommel island and are wearable at lvl 20 when the head scale slot has been unlocked, also there are costumes for dragons (zombie and ghost).

From New Trismus go to the portal and travel to Genevia island, then find the "resort" portal and travel to New Brommel.
    The festival is south of the island near the big blighted area (48,015/14,438).

Costume and mask vendors exchange their items for candies (the price has to reach 0 when trading) that can be gathered on enemies in the blighted area, or if you don't want to kill you can take the "trick or treat!" quest given by Jacques Allantyrn and ask NPCs for candies.
    SuHuz Fieryclaw, Grand Master Dragon Crafter (Order)

Thread Information