Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Undo "fixes"

Angry Undo "fixes"

Well you had fixed the maggots in Doom and all the maggot piles across Istaria..... So they re-spawn at like 10 min apart, and they all agro at the same time so a biped killing them is not going to happen. Lets see how else we can get the bipeds to leave the game? was that the goal here? If it was broken for 10 years, and now its "fixed" I would love to see what a real fix would do... How about we help the bipeds considering they have 2,800 levels to gain in comparison to the 100 dragon levels, rather then hinder them. This game has been great for the last 10 years, but these "fixes" are killing every leveling/grind spot in Istaria for bipeds. Perhaps if you listened to the community you may get more people to join the game. For now though when I tell friends about how fun Istaria is, I have to mention that it will take them another 7 years to just get 10 schools leveled. That is unless its 2x exp during a holiday where bipeds hopefully have saved up 30k trophies to level 3 schools.

Default Re: Undo "fixes"

I highly doubt "fixing" one type of enemy...would ruin the game...it also wouldn't hinder your leveling at all because hunting maggots has 0 use when it comes to leveling (no trophies, nearly no town marshall quests as far as I know, you'd only get raw XP and maybe crystals I guess? but that's chump change at high levels, not to mention that at high rating, you wouldn't even get raw XP anymore)

Also...what's up with people making forum accounts with redundant names just to whine on a subject. kinda hard to listen to a community that will only go on the forums when something goes bad, instead of, I dunno, actively giving feedback through support and the forums.

OK so the ONLY way bipeds can level now is via trophies and town quests, thanks for the clarification. As a returning player, its always nice to come back and have every grind spot removed. No more New Brommel Zombies/spiders, no maggot grind, and no more ED easy mobs. When you have a mid/high level rating, grinding trophies is almost 10x longer then grinding those maggots. Trophies are not a guaranteed drop, they also have a diminishing return on exp given, so if you played the game for a while and used your turn-ins, you are now making even less exp, and not getting any exp for the trophy mobs due to high rating.

As far as the things going right with active feedback, congrats, biped crafting is still fun, and unless you are a dragon, that is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    OK so the ONLY way bipeds can level now is via trophies, thanks for the clarification. As a returning player, its always nice to come back and have every grind spot removed. No more New Brommel Zombies/spiders, no maggot grind, and no more ED easy mobs. When you have a mid/high level rating, grinding trophies is almost 10x longer then grinding those maggots. Trophies are not a guaranteed drop, they also have a diminishing return on exp given, so if you played the game for a while and used your turn-ins, you are now making even less exp, and not getting any exp for the trophy mobs due to high rating.
    I thought it was pretty well established that as a high level ped, trophies and town marshall quests simply are the way to go.

also, on "removal" of grind spots, there's still plenty in the game. and "ED easy mobs"? that clearly shows the mentality you have going into istaria...and it should be obvious that that simply won't work, istaria isn't an "easy" game so don't expect "easy" ways out, at best they're exploits.

Istaria is grindy, no way around it.

Either way, this shouldn't be in suggestions, it's a rant more than anything. But I'll leave those as my last words in this thread.

I'm not expecting an easy way out, the ED easy mobs were an exploit, the maggot were not, nor were the mobs in New Brommel. Grinding alone on mobs to gain a 100 schools was relaxing to me that is what grinding is. Now its 2-4 months to get a school to 100 unless its a holiday 2x exp time., and forget it if you have 4-5 schools left to max.

Wow, that sounds brutal.

I mean 278 was no easy feet. Doable whilst keeping your sanity if you did so during double exp, which was RARE until recently.

But wowowowow, I think this may be the nail in the coffin for biped leveling. Ouch.

Edit: Seriously, be prepared for non stop crits and flaming from DRAGON players. They're the lulz for bipeds. Few did ROP back in the day when it was a true feat. I feel for ya man, I do, and I hope you got as close do that 230 mark as possible before trophy time.
    rip

OK so the ONLY way bipeds can level now is via trophies and town quests, thanks for the clarification. As a returning player, its always nice to come back and have every grind spot removed. No more New Brommel Zombies/spiders, no maggot grind, and no more ED easy mobs. When you have a mid/high level rating, grinding trophies is almost 10x longer then grinding those maggots. Trophies are not a guaranteed drop, they also have a diminishing return on exp given, so if you played the game for a while and used your turn-ins, you are now making even less exp, and not getting any exp for the trophy mobs due to high rating.

As far as the things going right with active feedback, congrats, biped crafting is still fun, and unless you are a dragon, that is about it.
    Before your biped's rating screws you over, it's entirely possible to grind levels via kills only. However, when your rating is so high that you get MAYBE 200 xp per kill of anything in Doom, yeah... trophies and town marshall quests are the way to keep your hair and your sanity. I haven't reached that point with my bipeds yet, I can still grind fairly easily on various things in the ED and in Doom- none of which are "easy" and they shouldn't be! If my biped is getting around 12k xp per kill (with multiple enemy bonus) with 5 schools to 100 already then the mobs should be challenging.

There's still plenty of spots to grind every mob that exists across the entirety of the map. I'm sorry you're shocked that things change when you return after being gone for who knows how long but things do change sometimes. There are still zombies and spiders on New Brommel by the way, wouldn't recommend grinding anything other than candies with them as they're very low-level. You can absolutely grind the maggots in the first left turn in Doom by the way, no 4 maggot limit on their spawn and they don't all aggro at once like dung pile maggots so have fun grinding those. The fix on dung pile maggots has not impacted me in the slightest with getting my Sslik leveled since I know enough to realize that maggots are chump change for xp. I can tackle groups of more challenging things and get more xp faster, or I can pick up all the town marshall quests and make a run through them all, pick up trophies while doing so, then run back to Aughundell and turn all that in at once for a huge xp spike.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

I don't see bipeds lvling in Dralnoks Doom since the change. that's a fact.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by Dracillion View Post
    Edit: Seriously, be prepared for non stop crits and flaming from DRAGON players. They're the lulz for bipeds. Few did ROP back in the day when it was a true feat. I feel for ya man, I do, and I hope you got as close do that 230 mark as possible before trophy time.
    Ooooh, the salt is real...surprisingly I have 5 bipeds, 2 of which are reasonably multi-classed, and one of them I'm working on at this moment, when I'm not working on mods and stuff that is.

Anyhow, if this keeps up, this thread deserves to be closed as I doubt anything fruitfull comes from it. It could have actually been a nice, proper discussion, if it wasn't brough up in this format.

As a small added note though, after telling people about this thread, their first reaction was "the maggots were changed? how long ago was that?", and after looking it up, the "latest" changes to doom, or just the maggots in general, are:

Live Delta 270-272, added May 5th of 2015:
    -Dung Piles now spawn a minimum (and maximum) of 5 maggots at a time.
    -Maggots are now less vulnerable to fire, slash and spirit.
    (so in essence, they got a nerf)

and Delta 262, which was in September 2014:
    -Adjusted spawn rates in Dralnok's Doom and the Autumn Forest.
    Which doesn't tell us a whole lot, but I do know that's when some things were changed about the maggots.

So they re-spawn at like 10 min apart
    Just checked a maggot pile in Dralnok's Doom, the respawn time is a little under 2 minutes.

they all agro at the same time so a biped killing them is not going to happen
    In past experiences, I've been able to easily pull 1-3 maggots at a time with a weak ranged ability and survived alone with appropriately techniqued armor (t5 cloth stuff via lv100 crafting school, slash resistance, etc). I've noticed that the aggro seems to be different for dragons and bipeds...I've never failed to pull less than all of the maggots on my biped, but the dragon is having trouble. Maybe its butt is too big. Anyway.

How about we help the bipeds considering they have 2,800 levels to gain in comparison to the 100 dragon levels
    Unless you've leveled your biped specifically to get to 278 in the most efficient manner, the last chunk of schools to level will gain you a minuscule amount of character power. My biped is 242, and after looking at all the schools he doesn't have leveled, there's nothing in any of them that would inspire me to finish off those schools. I have a biped who is just below 160 rating who does everything I need him to do. Also, your comparison is extremely flawed, there is more to it than just the amount of levels gained stacked up against one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    I don't see bipeds lvling in Dralnoks Doom since the change. that's a fact.
    And it could be due to any number of factors. I don't see anyone in Dralnok's Doom either, but that's because I tend to log in at different times than I used to, it's summer, etc...

and forget it if you have 4-5 schools left to max.
    If you have 4-5 schools left to max, then unless you've majorly screwed up how you leveled your biped (I don't even know if it's possible to mess up that bad, actually, you had to have leveled SOMETHING to get to the point where you've only 4-5 schools left) then you'll gain effectively nothing from those schools. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought that being a completionist was supposed to actually take a significant amount of time, especially in this game.

Maybe you could try constructive criticism next time?

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    Ooooh, the salt is real...surprisingly I have 5 bipeds, 2 of which are reasonably multi-classed, and one of them I'm working on at this moment, when I'm not working on mods and stuff that is.

Anyhow, if this keeps up, this thread deserves to be closed as I doubt anything fruitfull comes from it. It could have actually been a nice, proper discussion, if it wasn't brough up in this format.

As a small added note though, after telling people about this thread, their first reaction was "the maggots were changed? how long ago was that?", and after looking it up, the "latest" changes to doom, or just the maggots in general, are:

Live Delta 270-272, added May 5th of 2015:
    -Dung Piles now spawn a minimum (and maximum) of 5 maggots at a time.
    -Maggots are now less vulnerable to fire, slash and spirit.
    (so in essence, they got a nerf)

and Delta 262, which was in September 2014:
    -Adjusted spawn rates in Dralnok's Doom and the Autumn Forest.
    Which doesn't tell us a whole lot, but I do know that's when some things were changed about the maggots.
    Im not sure how that is a nerf, min/max 5, but they all agro at the same time, so getting slammed with 5 mobs at once. Being less vulnerable, would make them more tanky to those specific attacks.

My concern was not only for myself, but for future gamers. after your first say 4 level 100 school, its really only efficient to go after trophies. Many people are casual gamers, and seems all progression hinders bipeds leveling. I love my biped and leveling, but I really wish a mild ease would be put on the burden of biped leveling.

After your first say 4 level 100 school, its really only efficient to go after trophies.
    This is not true. Up to a rating of overall 200 it's EASY to level up, without using trophies. You need well teched gear with resists and wards against the damage type of the creature you chose to hunt and you need to know to controll your toon. Use Weaver and Fitter to max dex and str. And very important are your TPs, a lot of people spend them on the wrong things, you'll find some threads in this forum about. There are still a lot of other places to gain levels and not only the Eastern Deadlands (Fyakkis, Blights), Doom (Maggots, Guards, Mylocs). Up to Rating of 160 it's going well on different types of Golems if you knock down large pulls.

To get rating 278 you'll need trophies when you hit rating above 230 (if I remember right). And you need lots of them. It never was an easy task to get that far. And I wish VI won't change the way levels are gained. It would become too easy for dragons then. A high rated biped should still be something that is difficult to gain. And yes, Istaria is a old school grinding game, no way to change this.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

I never hunted maggots in my toons life to level and levelled fine. Hunt something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Teto Frum View Post
    I never hunted maggots in my toons life to level and levelled fine. Hunt something else.
    Yes you can hunt something else,theres always another way but if you never hunted them you don't know what was lost. it may be hard for somebody else to just switch to another monster when they were used to fighting maggots for long time. (thinking of others,im done lvling)

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    Yes you can hunt something else,theres always another way but if you never hunted them you don't know what was lost. it may be hard for somebody else to just switch to another monster when they were used to fighting maggots for long time. (thinking of others,im done lvling)
    You are right, it is a challenge to switch. That is part of what keeps the game interesting. :-)

I am afraid I totally agree with Seriously. It's why you never see many bi-peds in the game. A game can become not fun to play when they make everything too hard. Its not worth it anymore. Slimey on Order

I don't quite understand what the complaint is. Previously they spawned 10, at the same time (which was never intended, that was a bug in itself). The only change that occured was it was decreased to 4 max instead of 10 max. Then the max was bumped up to 5, due to complaints about too few of them. The timer wasn't ever changed. They spawn every 3 mins.

They've always aggro'd when you pulled one that was close to others. Before and after, I can pull one at a time, no problems. You've just got to wait for one to wander a couple more meters away from the others.

The common method (and I'm guilty as charged) that bipeds would level with 10 maggots at a time, was to either dual log with an Ancient or have an Ancient with them. Pull all 10 maggots and Ancient performs Primal Cast + Breath of Fire (all dead). Not much of a challenge there and fast exp. Everyone loves fast and easy experience, but is that really the best route for a MMO? I think that's why the spawns were decreased from 10 to 5. But they do respawn every 3 mins, that's plenty fast. A biped by himself should take minimum 3 mins to kill all 5 of those maggots anyways.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...les-in-General discussed a little bit about the maggots and loot timer (which can increase the spawn timer, indirectly).

And now that the Geleon's master scroll is back on the menu (now a craftable scroll), handling 5 maggots at a time shouldn't be much of a problem. You get one full minute of 0 damage from the maggots and it recycles 1:30. I recall back in the old days, when the old Geleons' Master scroll didn't consume itself, this was the common technique in Doom:

1) Use Master Scroll
    2) Run up and agro all maggots, run back to the Ancient (no damage to the puller for 1m while they're biting your ankles)
    3) Ancient performs Primal Cast + BoF
    4) All dead instantly, rinse and repeat.

If I recall, it is this scenario that caused the 10 maggots to be decreased.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; November 5th, 2015 at 12:56 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    I don't quite understand what the complaint is. Previously they spawned 10, at the same time (which was never intended, that was a bug in itself). The only change that occured was it was decreased to 4 max instead of 10 max. Then the max was bumped up to 5, due to complaints about too few of them. The timer wasn't ever changed. They spawn every 3 mins.

They've always aggro'd when you pulled one that was close to others. Before and after, I can pull one at a time, no problems. You've just got to wait for one to wander a couple more meters away from the others.

The common method (and I'm guilty as charged) that bipeds would level with 10 maggots at a time, was to either dual log with an Ancient or have an Ancient with them. Pull all 10 maggots and Ancient performs Primal Cast + Breath of Fire (all dead). Not much of a challenge there and fast exp. Everyone loves fast and easy experience, but is that really the best route for a MMO? I think that's why the spawns were decreased from 10 to 5. But they do respawn every 3 mins, that's plenty fast. A biped by himself should take minimum 3 mins to kill all 5 of those maggots anyways.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...les-in-General discussed a little bit about the maggots and loot timer (which can increase the spawn timer, indirectly).

And now that the Geleon's master scroll is back on the menu (now a craftable scroll), handling 5 maggots at a time shouldn't be much of a problem. You get one full minute of 0 damage from the maggots and it recycles 1:30. I recall back in the old days, when the old Geleons' Master scroll didn't consume itself, this was the common technique in Doom:

1) Use Master Scroll
    2) Run up and agro all maggots, run back to the Ancient (no damage to the puller for 1m while they're biting your ankles)
    3) Ancient performs Primal Cast + BoF
    4) All dead instantly, rinse and repeat.

If I recall, it is this scenario that caused the 10 maggots to be decreased.
    So before 10 would spawn, but you could single pull them as a biped and solo one after another. Now all 5 come at you regardless of where you are at due to the fact the entire dung pile agros off of a single pull now. Before you could solo them as a biped, now you cannot, you need a dragon. It was a great way to level and earn hoard for young hachies in NT. Now that's gone. Well unless you are an ancient. As you said, Needing a dragon to do it...

Hmm, you should be able to pull them one a time, carefully. I'll head down there and test that out when I get some free time. I haven't been down to the maggots since those updates. Maybe devs can fine tune it a bit if they can't be pulled individually. Will update post when I see whats going on.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    Hmm, you should be able to pull them one a time, carefully. I'll head down there and test that out when I get some free time. I haven't been down to the maggots since those updates. Maybe devs can fine tune it a bit if they can't be pulled individually. Will update post when I see whats going on.
    Im not super mad about the 10 spawn to 5, that is not the issue for me, the fact that the dung pile agros every time on me when I pull one regardless of the distance in relation to the pile, makes it impossible to level and enjoy that area anymore. I have tried the doom maggots and the maggots outside, both react the same.

Thread Information