Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Undo "fixes"

Default Re: Undo "fixes"

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    Why should a dragon be stronger? you can level a dragon to max in a month or less, and you can min-max them in roughly 4 months. Bipeds, even though there are some quick ways, take A LOT longer, and they shouldn't be rewarded for that? heck, bipeds should be stronger in my eyes, and that's coming from a player who has 80% of dragons in her character list. There's a lot less work that goes into dragons, and it's sad to see the game's main gimmick...be so simple.
    First of all, I am always surprised seeing a game with maybe 30 players left have the same kind and volume of complaints we had back in 2004. All this fighting can achieve, is to demoralize and eventually make some more players quit.

Second thing, I hate the "you can level a dragon to max in a month or less" thing so much.
    Once again, I think in 2005 I had already been forum banned who knows how long, because I was part of the players who wanted dragons to be an epic, challenging experience. We asked for dragons to have 3-4 classes (it ended up in developing Helian and Lunus traits a bit more) and each class would take 6 months or 1 year to level up. This way, Adults (there were no Ancients back then) would really have been an epic sight and bipeds would finally stop complaining. Because they were complaining LOUD in 2005 already about how quick dragons could get maxed.

To me, fast dragon levelling has been a curse, not a blessing. After 7-8 years sitting at max level and with everything in game I started taking longer and longer pauses from Istaria. If I had something to aim to, I would not have grown bored. These days I play about 2 days per year, as soon as I log in my biggest fun is to talk with some guildies and oldbies, then I kill some stuff, get bored and leave again. If levelling a dragon had been harder, I'd probably still feel engaged by Istaria.

Last but not least, the "dragons should be weaker / stronger" than bipeds is another 2004 ancient issue. In most games where you can play both, dragons are "special", in the sense they are either hard capped in number and / or super hard to play and / or take forever to level up or take some other huge factor to make them rare. Being rare / hard to play usually justifies dragons being as epic as fantasy books dragons are meant to be.

Sadly in Istaria there had not been any "hard mode" for dragons, therefore we have more dragons than squirrels. Therefore dragons have been made as weak / strong as bipeds are.
    Last edited by Vahrokh; December 14th, 2015 at 11:26 PM.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    First of all, I am always surprised seeing a game with maybe 30 players left have the same kind and volume of complaints we had back in 2004. All this fighting can achieve, is to demoralize and eventually make some more players quit.

Second thing, I hate the "you can level a dragon to max in a month or less" thing so much.
    Once again, I think in 2005 I had already been forum banned who knows how long, because I was part of the players who wanted dragons to be an epic, challenging experience. We asked for dragons to have 3-4 classes (it ended up in developing Helian and Lunus traits a bit more) and each class would take 6 months or 1 year to level up. This way, Adults (there were no Ancients back then) would really have been an epic sight and bipeds would finally stop complaining. Because they were complaining LOUD in 2005 already about how quick dragons could get maxed.

To me, fast dragon levelling has been a curse, not a blessing. After 7-8 years sitting at max level and with everything in game I started taking longer and longer pauses from Istaria. If I had something to aim to, I would not have grown bored. These days I play about 2 days per year, as soon as I log in my biggest fun is to talk with some guildies and oldbies, then I kill some stuff, get bored and leave again. If levelling a dragon had been harder, I'd probably still feel engaged by Istaria.

Last but not least, the "dragons should be weaker / stronger" than bipeds is another 2004 ancient issue. In most games where you can play both, dragons are "special", in the sense they are either hard capped in number and / or super hard to play and / or take forever to level up or take some other huge factor to make them rare. Being rare / hard to play usually justifies dragons being as epic as fantasy books dragons are meant to be.

Sadly in Istaria there had not been any "hard mode" for dragons, therefore we have more dragons than squirrels. Therefore dragons have been made as weak / strong as bipeds are.
    (woo thread rez! :P)
    Oh man Vah, I hope my message didn't come across in the wrong way.

While yes, I do state that I think bipeds should be stronger than dragons, I didn't mean that as a general statement, I meant it mostly as a statement of how the system stands currently. I would love for dragon leveling to actually take longer, to take effort, and to keep players in the game for longer than aforementioned "month or less". Afterall, the current "power struggle" between dragons and bipeds is not that big of a difference, and is relatively balanced, it would make a lot more sense to make the journey to level 100 (or whatever proposed end-game) should take longer, and shouldn't feel like your just an errand boy for all these trainers (which is what it currently feels like to me) who give you enough XP from a single quest for nearly a level in the higher tiers.

Heck I would be fully in support of making dragon leveling harder than biped leveling (or alternatively, easing up on biped leveling while bringing down the hammer on dragon leveling at the same time), just to give them that extra umph of special.

But the thing is, we've seen dragons dumbed down so much over the past few years (*cough* RoP Lem and Kaa *cough*), and a large amount of the dragon playerbase has gotten so used to getting everything they want handed to them simply because "they're dragons", that I'm afraid even the slighest change would hurt both the community and VI as a bussiness.

I was thinking along the same lines but not just for adventure but craft as well.

Thread Information