Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Dim crystal of Might

  1. #1

    Default Dim crystal of Might

    Istaria crystal of might.jpg

    Recently I have come across a very unique item that a certain dragon showed to me on Order, it is an item called the 'Dim crystal of might' and although it appears very innocuous a weapon crystal it actually has a lot more potential than its stats would lead you to believe. The Dragon displayed the crystals abilities to me and I was surprised to find that its effects were not just powerful they were also extremely viable outperforming my socketed Ironwood emerald claw with its own fangs of fury and Light ruby crystals.

    The damage of the crystal stacks with the strength of the dragon using it, the demonstration of its capabilities showed me that it was capable of dealing up to an average 200 extra nature damage per hit based upon the demonstrating dragon's stats. The crystal also offers cosmetic effects including a flash of lightning per hit and a unique sound effect that replaces the claw attack sound.

    The Dragon Aleron I will now call him told me that these crystals had not been available since 2007 and thus the supply of which has dwindled over the years to the point where only the select few and elite still have them. Similar to the dragon scale techs of old and their respective tech stacking these crystals give a significant boost to any player that might still have them giving them the advantage over younger players who would be highly unlikely to even hear of such a crystal let alone acquire them. The rare sale of even one of these crystals can reach up to 40 gold which only proves their current demand for those actually in the know of what these items are.

    My suggestion is re-release a version of these crystals that younger players can have a hope of getting as currently the item represents a clear advantage veteran players have over younger players even if they get all equipment currently possible for them to get. The Crystal used to be acquired from small blue presents which used to drop them when opened, maybe a return to this old system might alleviate this fact.

    This concludes my suggestion, I am unsure about how many people on this forum actually knows about this crystal so I consider this suggestion as much an announcement declaring that this item exists as I do a call for it to be brought back in some manner. I hope for a favorable response, thank you for taking the time to read if you made it this far.
    'the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' -Edmund Burke

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    I have mixed feelings about this. sure id like community to benefit from those because they are indeed great crystals but at the same time how will feel those who already got one and worked really hard to find and get it? Id feel somewhat angry if they came out now.
    perhaps a weaker and different version than old one.
    I think those were mistakenly made anyway. and pretty sure any discussion about them ended with no.
    " ~ Existence..~ ..is beautiful, if you let it be. Life is not a question. There does not need to be an answer..."
    "Keep up the good work. It takes effort, but effort brings fulfillment."
    Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Don't worry it'll change in 5 minutes.
    Posts
    543

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    All I know of those is that they are great for massive damage and came and went long before I started playing. I trust that they were removed for a good reason, whatever that may have been. I'm more or less ambivalent to the suggestion, I do just fine without one but I wouldn't complain about getting one either.

    Not to completely derail this so soon but perhaps we can get something similar but not identical to one as a crystalshaper-crafted thing with a very rare drop as a component needed to craft it.

    Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    I do not believe that a remade version would do any harm and I do not think that it would derail this thread, but one thing I believe is that this is one very little known item that is just impossible to get normally now is also a massive advantage that any veterans that might have it would have over younger players. A similar thing has already been done with the old dragon techs like Drulkar's retribution and Primal Eminance so why not this one crystal as well?

    Also I am not going to necro an old thread from 2007 to bring this up again so I may as well start my own to discuss why this cannot be brought back. I understand the player who probably paid 40 gold for one of these would be ticked off that these might become commonplace but do please consider that this same crystal is extremely rare and the chances of anyone else having one who hasn't been playing this game for a long time is extremely unlikely, that one player would now effectively have a tremendous advantage over the capabilities of any other player and he/she/it knows that is fact.
    'the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' -Edmund Burke

  5. #5

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Crystal of might (item desc box only).jpg

    Here is a second picture as Xiro mentioned it the box was too small to read on my screenshot
    'the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' -Edmund Burke

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wherever the food is O_O
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. sure id like community to benefit from those because they are indeed great crystals but at the same time how will feel those who already got one and worked really hard to find and get it? Id feel somewhat angry if they came out now.
    perhaps a weaker and different version than old one.
    I think those were mistakenly made anyway. and pretty sure any discussion about them ended with no.
    I would counter with - what about the people who never even had a chance to work really hard to find and get the crystal? It's rather irritating to know that, no matter what I kill or how many hours I play, there are some things I will -never- accomplish. At the very least, it's a beautiful graphical effect and imo it's a shame to keep it so limited, would be nice to at least see the graphic somewhere.

    I have one on Blight and if the crystal is doing 200 damage per strike, it's more than likely on a very low level mob. I tried it on my full strength/tc dragon on lv90 pygmies out in Harro, got around 75-90ish. The crystal would be near useless on boss mobs


    Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    All I know of those is that they are great for massive damage and came and went long before I started playing. I trust that they were removed for a good reason, whatever that may have been. I'm more or less ambivalent to the suggestion, I do just fine without one but I wouldn't complain about getting one either.

    Not to completely derail this so soon but perhaps we can get something similar but not identical to one as a crystalshaper-crafted thing with a very rare drop as a component needed to craft it.
    Maybe something similar can make an appearance as an epic crystal? >.> <.<

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    It depends which server board I think is which.
    Posts
    1,600

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by Alisto View Post
    I have one on Blight and if the crystal is doing 200 damage per strike, it's more than likely on a very low level mob. I tried it on my full strength/tc dragon on lv90 pygmies out in Harro, got around 75-90ish. The crystal would be near useless on boss mobs
    Really? Hearing that it makes me wonder why it was taken out. I was thinking it was hitting 200 on high level ones.

    I was about to post a counter-argument saying that it was removed for a reason, that being it's OP, but hearing that I don't have much to say, frankly. I don't see why not other than the frustration of "I JUST PAID 40 GOLD FOR THIS, DANG IT!". An Epic Crystal would work, though.

    I've a sneaking suspicion it was removed because of its graphical effect being irritating to players akin to the snowballs being removed for griefing...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by Alisto View Post
    I have one on Blight and if the crystal is doing 200 damage per strike, it's more than likely on a very low level mob. I tried it on my full strength/tc dragon on lv90 pygmies out in Harro, got around 75-90ish. The crystal would be near useless on boss mobs
    I have one, it hits for about 70 - 130 for me as well, depending on the mob.

    It is basically the same thing as Frozen tech, just nature damage vs Ice damage. You can still get the Frozen tech, the quest starts with the Tinkerer in Delgarath. Works great on claws.

    Concerning both of these, if the mob has resistance to that damage type, it hits for 0. It's not useful against all mobs.

    Hitting for 200 sounds like a maxed out ancient with strength scales, fighting low level mobs, or nature vulnerable mobs (probably midlevel). That's not a typical damage output for it, and in that situation the mob is dead in a second anyway. It's not adding in a meaningful way to that fight. It just appears impressive.

    There is a tech similiar to Frozen tech that does nature damage, Hunters Retribution. Its t1 and doesn't hit 100% of the time. Perhaps a higher level version of that that works similiar to the Frozen tech?

    But for now, for the OP, just do the quest for the Frozen tech. Leave an open all the tech slots on your claw, do 1 socket, frozen, and then battleforged, etc. This is of course a t5-t6 quest, so you will have to level up first. It might require level 100.

    As far as buying one for 40G, that's a bargain. The last one on Chaos sold for 1M + a collection of epic weapons. That buyer would be understandably upset if these just came back for free.
    Last edited by Guaran; November 13th, 2015 at 11:27 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    It depends which server board I think is which.
    Posts
    1,600

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    As far as buying one for 40G, that's a bargain. The last one on Chaos sold for 1M + a collection of epic weapons. That buyer would be understandably upset if these just came back for free.
    Holy crap. Guess that's a good indication of Chaos market vs Order market, eh?

    Anyway, forums are giving Alisto problems. He mentioned that it was probably removed because it has a requirement of level 1, letting you murder everything for a while, which was very OP.

    So to reply to this, I just want to say - well, up the level requirement?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Really? Hearing that it makes me wonder why it was taken out. I was thinking it was hitting 200 on high level ones.

    I was about to post a counter-argument saying that it was removed for a reason, that being it's OP, but hearing that I don't have much to say, frankly. I don't see why not other than the frustration of "I JUST PAID 40 GOLD FOR THIS, DANG IT!". An Epic Crystal would work, though.

    I've a sneaking suspicion it was removed because of its graphical effect being irritating to players akin to the snowballs being removed for griefing...
    aye like guaran said, the damage is not that OP on actual high level mobs, against most you do an average of 40-50, and some (read: a lot) of high level mobs are even immune to nature damage or have high resistance, so in that case you can count on 5-8.

    one thing I would like if it ever were to come back....please cut down on that visual effect, yes it looks awesome...the first few minutes, then it kinda becomes a strain on the eyes, but that might just be me, having it proc on every attack (the visual effect, not the actual crystal) just seems a bit...overwhelming.

    I'd say, yeah up the level requirement (rating requirement if that's possible?), and maybe give it a medium/long quest to get one. (ofcourse adding it to appropriate town marshall's too)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where ever my mate is sleeping...otherwise,wherever Murnos isn't.
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    I think a version of this crystal or anything that gives similar effects would be a nice to have in istaria again...even if it's brought back in presents for one year,at least then others will have a chance to get it.

    Or even like Meepsa suggested a new crystal given out as reward to a quest perhaps...just spitballing.
    Last edited by Aleron; November 14th, 2015 at 10:38 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    ...please cut down on that visual effect, yes it looks awesome...the first few minutes, then it kinda becomes a strain on the eyes, but that might just be me, having it proc on every attack (the visual effect, not the actual crystal) just seems a bit...overwhelming.
    I disagree.

    It's the lightning bolt effect. That's it. Identical. So why change the effect on the crystal? If you are playing with a druid using lightning bolt, it's an identical situation. Or playing with someone using spirit bolt. Its has a repeating graphical effect. Or a caster dragon using prime bolt. Again, a repeating graphical+audible effect. It's no different than these, so I don't see the point in changing it. If someone dislikes spell effects, those can be turned off in the client. That way someone who is "annoyed" solves their annoyance without affecting others.

    As far as putting a level requirement above level 1, also see no need. It's a t1 crystal, with t1 damage amounts. Base damage is determined by your strength. A lowbie toon using this in a level 1 weapon will get likely 3 to 10 damage per hit. It scales up as the player levels. For a multiclass player it will hit more, but thats coming from their "mastered Strength" stat, that carries over, which also buffs their melee damage by a nice amount, even when using a t1 weapon. There's no reason to change that. It's part of how multiclassing works. Level 1 weapon, for a player with a lvl 100 school under their belt, with the crystal will hit for 50 to 75 for the weapons dmg, and similiar numbers for the crystal damage. It's fine as it is. level 1 player with level 100 spiritist under their belt, will hit for 150 to 175 with spirit bolt 1. That effect is integral to multiclassing.

    Leave the crystal alone.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Harro somewhere near Fafnir the Defiler
    Posts
    486

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    I disagree.

    It's the lightning bolt effect. That's it. Identical. So why change the effect on the crystal? If you are playing with a druid using lightning bolt, it's an identical situation. Or playing with someone using spirit bolt. Its has a repeating graphical effect. Or a caster dragon using prime bolt. Again, a repeating graphical+audible effect. It's no different than these, so I don't see the point in changing it. If someone dislikes spell effects, those can be turned off in the client. That way someone who is "annoyed" solves their annoyance without affecting others.

    As far as putting a level requirement above level 1, also see no need. It's a t1 crystal, with t1 damage amounts. Base damage is determined by your strength. A lowbie toon using this in a level 1 weapon will get likely 3 to 10 damage per hit. It scales up as the player levels. For a multiclass player it will hit more, but thats coming from their "mastered Strength" stat, that carries over, which also buffs their melee damage by a nice amount, even when using a t1 weapon. There's no reason to change that. It's part of how multiclassing works. Level 1 weapon, for a player with a lvl 100 school under their belt, with the crystal will hit for 50 to 75 for the weapons dmg, and similiar numbers for the crystal damage. It's fine as it is. level 1 player with level 100 spiritist under their belt, will hit for 150 to 175 with spirit bolt 1. That effect is integral to multiclassing.

    Leave the crystal alone.
    I have to agree to leave the crystal alone, this makes things unbalanced for what a nice effect? It should be made available maybe for a quest yes. Also, just cause something is annoying it doesn't mean it should be removed there is options. So I restate the crystal should be left alone.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    The most annoying thing I find personally with the whole DCOM thing, was the fact that there were *loads* of people at the time who were prepared to "work really hard" to obtain this crystal, but......a "certain guild" (who shall remain nameless) took over the spawn 24/7 (no exaggeration they had people at that spawn all day every day, to maintain their monopoly), who bullied and threatened anyone who dared to try and get one for themselves. THIS is why they are so rare and expensive nowadays. So yes, I kinda would like a chance to actually get one, or one similar, myself.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Harro somewhere near Fafnir the Defiler
    Posts
    486

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamianth View Post
    The most annoying thing I find personally with the whole DCOM thing, was the fact that there were *loads* of people at the time who were prepared to "work really hard" to obtain this crystal, but......a "certain guild" (who shall remain nameless) took over the spawn 24/7 (no exaggeration they had people at that spawn all day every day, to maintain their monopoly), who bullied and threatened anyone who dared to try and get one for themselves. THIS is why they are so rare and expensive nowadays. So yes, I kinda would like a chance to actually get one, or one similar, myself.
    What that "certain guild" did was wrong and the other people that helped them. What they did was certainly against the code of conduct. I think to prevent history from repeating more than one spawn place, or quest line.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamianth View Post
    The most annoying thing I find personally with the whole DCOM thing, was the fact that there were *loads* of people at the time who were prepared to "work really hard" to obtain this crystal, but......a "certain guild" (who shall remain nameless) took over the spawn 24/7 (no exaggeration they had people at that spawn all day every day, to maintain their monopoly), who bullied and threatened anyone who dared to try and get one for themselves. THIS is why they are so rare and expensive nowadays. So yes, I kinda would like a chance to actually get one, or one similar, myself.
    alright so if I'm not mistaken this was from Gnomekindle back in the day yeah? (it was before I joined atleast). back then there were the christmas treants as the only way to obtain ornamets if I'm not entirely mistaken, right now, we have hundreds of mobs to hunt for ornaments, and the spawns are nicely spread out.

    Either way, I have tried over and over to get these back in game through gnomekindle as a rare drop (allong with other things *cough*Shoulder Pets*cough*, however, it seems it didn't catch a lot of attention, or there simply is no intent to bring them back at all.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    While the DCoM was definitely over powered when it was introduced, over the years ninja nerfs have happened. Mobs all of the sudden have nature resists through the roof. Bringing this item back seems counter productive to the "adjusting" of characters damage. I was shown how powerful this item was towards the end of gnomekindle by a guy named Plot, so I farmed treants for 3 days til the event was over. I only saw 2 people farming the treants, not this guild camping them. Now people farming the event named mob for the Boars Mask, that was terrible. The true elites just got more powerful.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    Quote Originally Posted by Riaken View Post
    While the DCoM was definitely over powered when it was introduced, over the years ninja nerfs have happened. Mobs all of the sudden have nature resists through the roof. Bringing this item back seems counter productive to the "adjusting" of characters damage. I was shown how powerful this item was towards the end of gnomekindle by a guy named Plot, so I farmed treants for 3 days til the event was over. I only saw 2 people farming the treants, not this guild camping them. Now people farming the event named mob for the Boars Mask, that was terrible. The true elites just got more powerful.
    I believe they were talking about Order, but you and me are on Chaos.

    Even still, it got crowded hunting the blighted cedar treants (mean christmas trees). But after farming over 15000 blue ornaments (several days work) I was burnt out. I recall seeing players from several different guilds there. We fought over mobs (both running to the same tree sometimes) on occasion but it was generally not a problem.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    This was on Chaos......and I can assure you I remember correctly. It was one of the very few nasty moments Ive had in this game in the 10+ years Ive played.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Dim crystal of Might

    hmm...I might actually have an idea for this...would have to think about it though.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dim Crystal of Might
    By GalemThawn in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: July 21st, 2014, 06:09 PM
  2. WTB/WTT Dim Crystal of Might
    By Takora Drakan in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 29th, 2008, 08:09 AM
  3. crystal
    By Rannik in forum General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •