Thread: Biped Class Craft Quests (Work in Progress)

Default Biped Class Craft Quests (Work in Progress)

Alright! over the past few days I've been discussing how the biped leveling experience can be summed up in one word, "grind", so how about we add some more quests to that, huh?

First I want to make clear though, this is not an appeal at the devs to add in more quests, this is more a discussion thread for something I have tiny tidbits written down for and plan to submit to the devs as one big collection of quests. But let's get down to business.

The Adventure Thread will be posted later, please keep suggestions/discussion for those outside of this thread! feel free to send me a PM regarding them though.
    ___
    I currently have a google spreadsheet in which I'm writing down both basic and in-depth info on each of these before I go and write down the actual quests, I will make these open in a couple of days once I get the basic layout done in such a way that it isn't annoying or difficult to read.

The main thing I'm looking to discuss here is:
    -Potential rewards per class.
    -Length of the quests.
    -Goals of the quests.
    -At which levels there should be quests available, and how many should there be?.

The first point is something completely open to discussion, throw ideas at me, let's discuss them! New art assets, in essence, is no problem, I'm a 2D artist who has focused on game design over the past years and my current partner is a 3D artist who is willing to make models for istaria, and we're both volunteering for this.

The second point, I might actually have a general idea for, I was thinking along the lines of the Defender of New Trismus line, not too long but definately not a "Gather [X], Create [Y], deliver to [Z]" type of quest. Or perhaps closer to Trials of the Gifted, which is slightly shorted than the Defender quest if I'm not mistaken. A big point should be that you get several levels from doing them, I'm not saying shower us with levels, but atleast get a nice amount whilst doing these (3/4 or so)
    A fun idea would be that all these quests (per class) are part of a single story-line for which you unlock more and more as you level. I actually have this already considered for one class, which I'll talk more about later in this post.

Goals, the goals should be something fun, something that might make you chuckle when you see it appear, or something that makes you look forward to other/more quests, one thing I do want to point out, is that they shouldn't be copy-paste rewards, neither from each other or already existing quests (so no measly 500 copper). As an example in the thread where I discussed this previously, people came up with the idea of better stat-boosting food, or food that gives you particle effects for Confectioner.

Lastly, the frequency of the quests, I personally get the feelig that this is very dependant on the class, but at the very least, 5 per class (10-30-50-70-90 or 5-25-45-65-85, or anything else allong those lines) should be a nice amount for now (think of it as the first wave of addittions), but as with all other points, this is all up for discussion!
    ___
    Other things to potentially discuss:
    -Lore that could be explored through the quests, for example, we could be making items that used to belong to an old race, or perhaps a group of follower of a specific deity. Or even lore related to specific areas.*
    -What makes a class unique? I have most classes written down except those that handle armour (Outfitter, Tailor and armorer) and Fletcher, I simply cannot figure out what truly makes them unique, this helps with figuring out what quests rewards could aso be potentially applied.
    -Whatever else you people can come up with.
    ___
    Here's an example of a quest reward I've written up:

Jeweler -> Relics of Skitr -> Jewelry pieces unlocked over the leveling process (formula or one-time reward? either way Town Marshalls make sure you can get them multiple times), not a lot of tech-able use, I was actually thinking of making them non-techable, but all pieces give a nice boost to speed, and all pieces together should give you a boost in speed similiar to how the priceless jewelry pieces were on blight (2 pieces gave +60 each if I'm not mistaken before it was changed to +30 on the necklace only if I'm not mistaken), so roughly a +100 speed in total (+20 per piece?). All these pieces would have pieces of lore tied to them, as to what I have no idea, but the name would be something I'd like to keep (Skitr<->Skitter, as well as it being an abbreviation for something that might give some people a chuckle)

I currently have potential rewards for:
    -Jeweler
    -Alchemist
    -Confectioner

I have some single rewards for other schools, but not anything I could spread over levels as a line of rewards.

Default Re: Biped Class Craft Quests (Work in Porgress)

Small update
    ___
    I've figured out what sets Outfitter apart from the other armor crafting schools, but I haven't entirely decided on a set of rewards, current ideas:
    -A set of unique containers (pouches/backpacks etc.) for example, a pouch that would have insanely high stack limit, but incredibly low bulk (great for GH/vault sorting)..tell me if something like that already exists.
    oooor
    -Remove the Fashion designs from the Fashion Designers around Istaria and instead make them quests rewards based on region/tier.

Personally I am leaning towards the second reward type, but it also seems like it would fit tailor pretty nicely.

As always, input is highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    -A set of unique containers (pouches/backpacks etc.) for example, a pouch that would have insanely high stack limit, but incredibly low bulk (great for GH/vault sorting)..tell me if something like that already exists.
    I love my floating bookshelves (portable scroll tote) for instant +50 item stack. Perhaps something like tiered scrollcases would work as the inventory pouches for sorting that you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    I love my floating bookshelves (portable scroll tote) for instant +50 item stack. Perhaps something like tiered scrollcases would work as the inventory pouches for sorting that you suggest?
    ah, that would work just perfect! and it should go nicely with the scroll tote yes! perhaps even different kinds over the tiers (one for formulas and techs, one for tech comps, one for trophies, etc. etc. etc. all with unique looks), what I mean by that is that they only accept that kind of items in their storage, though I'd have to ask the technical peeps whether doing that to an inventory container is even possible.

just a small update, I haven't abandoned this project, and I've been brainstorming ideas while taking a semi-break from istaria.
    I have yet to update the spreadsheet with all my updates, but here's one I've been thinking about lately.

Tiered Alchemy Fluff Potions.
    You would get a quest from your (current) Alchemist trainer to do [X] (still figuring out what), this would lead you to create several 'prototype' potions, which would transform you into a critter (deer, wisp, etc.).

These would be usable by everyone, not sure whether a level requirement should be done though. But can only be created by Alchemists who have done the quests (obviously)

As you progress in these tiered quests (Beginner, Jman and Exp) the things you can get transformation potions for would get better and better ofcourse, starting at critters, then normal mobs, then perhaps even WA forces (impersonation potions?).

Either you would get 2 different forms from 2 different quests each tier (beginner transform pots and advanced transform pots) or you would get one single form from one quest, it mostly depends on what other ideas I (or other people) can come up with to spread around the levels)
    ___
    if anyone reads this (dev or not) and wants to take these ideas, please, don't, I'm spending heavy amounts of time on these figuring out what would go best with what, and although I would love to see these added, I'd rather not see people run off with my ideas. (posting this due to bad experiences I've had with this sorta thing)

got another update again!

-I started working on fleshing out the transformation potions I had planned for Alchemist, and am nearly done.
    -I have abandoned the old google drive and started working in a more organised manner, in the way quest submissions should be made (thanks again Miira for finding the link for me!), you can still find a slightly out of date version of the alchemist quest in the drive.

The transformation potions will work in this way now:

There are 3 questlines in total, Beginner (10-15), Jman (50-55) and Exp (90-95)

Beginner potions:
    -transforms you in a random (or predetermined, depending on whether the system is able to do randomised results) passive mob: Deer, Wisp, Cow or Chicken.

Jman potions:
    -Are split into several catagories: Beast, Insect and Elemental (possibly more, I just can't think of any other ones atm).
    --Beast pots transform you into a random beast: wolf, grouk, etc.
    --Insect pots transform you into a random insect: Spider, Tarantula, Scorpion, Fly, etc. (Fyakki?)
    --Elemental pots transform you into a random elemental: Golem, Treant, etc.

(yes I'm aware spiders don't belong in the insect family, feel free to suggest a better name for that catagory)

Expert Potions would be either of these:
    -Racial pots, which would randomly transform you into a random player race. (dragons pose a problem maybe? I think it's best they are left out of this catagory), that is if the game allows swapping to another race without any problems (character creation settings).

OR

-Blighted Potions, which transforms the player into a WA creature, lore-wise I think these wouldn't be all too fitting though (no matter how hilarious it would be to run around Bristugo transformed into an aegror).
    ____
    I'm still working on what the best recipe would be, though I have an idea for atleast the beginner version (which is the quest I'm currently writing)
    ____

The effect would last 10-30 minutes (not sure about the timer yet) and can be simply right-clicked to dispell.
    It would be purely a cosmetic effect! this means, no, you won't get new kinds of abilities or anything, you'll simply take over the appearence of the aforementioned creatures.
    It won't limit what you can and can't do (attack, gather, etc.), I'm not sure whether this is entirely possible, but it's worth a shot.
    I'd love for these to also work on dragons, but it would have to limit their flight...would be kind of odd to see a flying spider.

The main reason why I'd prefer seeing these with a timer rather than being never-ending like the costumes is because I want to give players a reason to keep creating these, rather than make one, keep the effect on as long as they want and maybe create another one at a later date.
    this is also partially why I'd prefer seeing the effects be random. Perhaps a player really wants a specific look, but they get one they don't want, so they use another pot. (thus creating demand for these potions as well)

Overall though, the quest series is meant to make the grind less visible and jarring, each quest would give xp that is only slightly higher than the usual turnout. and the xp gained for the creation of the potions would also pretty much coincide with potions of the appropriate tiers. but the fact that there might be (again, can't be sure) a market for these potions, or just that people want to make them for others just gives a player another option to make instead of grinding the same resource for the same formula over and over.

Any change would likely need to restrict involvement in combat for the simple fact that animations would most certainly not work and particle effects could not be guaranteed to work on the new models.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Any change would likely need to restrict involvement in combat for the simple fact that animations would most certainly not work and particle effects could not be guaranteed to work on the new models.
    ah alright, well, could always work that into the description of the potion, or if anything add a simple OOC-ly warning onto it like with the skeleton key.

Right behind you when you're not looking!

I like this idea, as for the spiders, maybe Arachnea/Arachnae not sure which is correct... xD
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

Quote Originally Posted by flamefeniks View Post
    I like this idea, as for the spiders, maybe Arachnea/Arachnae not sure which is correct... xD
    Arachnid/Arachnida would be the correct term...though then it'd exclude the other ones aside from scorpions (who I think fall under the same class in the animal kingdom?), one thing they all share is an exoskeleton though, so I might be able to call it something in reference to that?

Thread Information