Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $4.99 sub option for playing with one character slot past limit.

Default Re: $4.99 sub option for playing with one character slot past limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    There is already a character slot upgrade option for $4.95. Go to accounts.istaria.com, login, then go to add/renew service.

To use it, you must first have Property Holder access:

Granted that the Service type info page
    http://community.istaria.com/pg.php/subscriptions doesn't specifically detail what the Character Slot upgrade adds. But it would be at least 1 character slot (might be more).

But basically there are already multiple choices available. If you are currently on a free account, then you need the $9.99 option which upgrade you from 1 to 5 characters.

If you have 5 characters and want a 6th, upgrade to Property holder access for $14.95 per month, or $12.95 per month when you buy 6 months or more at once. That's only $3 more. That will give you 2 extra character slots plus a plot. Pretty good value really.

If you already have 7 characters and want an 8th, do the above mentioned Character slot upgrade for $4.95.
    Pay to win is when someone uses real money to get an advantagevthat makes it easier to get to the end game faster over the ones who dont pay or pay just to play. Theres no pay to win involved with istaria.. pay to win is example WOW or Everquest 1 and 2 they give exp potions and gear you need to be a member to use and there better then raid gear. Kronos and wow tokens are another form of pay to win you use the coin you get from tokens and kronos to buy ingame currency to buy the best gear in the game. Thats pay to win and i dont see it in istaria at all you loon.

eq2 is soo bad that they are introducing 600% exp potions to payer and the payers get a 100% exp bonus over the free to plays who cant get this bonus and it takes a month to a 5 months to reach level 100 while a subscriber in that game can reach it in a matter of 7 hours. and have enough coin to buy level 100 gear and raid and buy his way to win with kronos as each one costs 50k to 100k plat coins each. thats pay to win.. if your a free to play in that game good luck your fuked. and if you get a relic item in eq2 and you stop paying the company rips the equipment from your character and its useless till you involve real cash again.

Istaria can run on 5$ everquest 2 did a silver sub you pay 5$ to get acess to all the chats and can use the global connie frees cant use the connie So a 5$ sub can be used to cox in new players and they will upgrade to a 9 or 14$ sub the moment they find out the community is a beautiful thing and theres no pay to win involved and they know there funds will make the game better.. heck the devs said they are putting in a new engine thats living proof the devs care and our funds are doing something. so i support the 5$ sub plan
    Last edited by ArchDemon; December 31st, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Meepsa and Alisto have made good points, ArchDemon summed things up pretty nicely, Lovwyrm made no sense as usual (nothin' new thar), Terao made a ******** fine point that has been parroted a few times (absolutely correctly, mind you) before and after, Guaran fails at making factual claims, and Alisto is as good as Steffi when it comes to typing. Do I have that all correct? XD

No but seriously, a new sub option for $5 can't hurt the game in ANY capacity. The people subbed now are stubborn, not likely to drop low without necessity, and such a sub option can ONLY bring in new players much faster than you'd lose old ones (as if losing the stubborn AND old ones would harm the game anyway, really, but that's a topic for some other thread). I mean, I still wouldn't pay to play personally thanks to the fanboys and fangirls being utterly unable to converse on a level above "lol isty da besht", but that's a topic for later.

ON-TOPIC, consider also my current thought-process when it does come to Isty. I can sub to play a dragon, or I can go find a single-player game that is either free or pay-once and play a dragon whenever I want. If I want to RP as a dragon, I have chat programs that allow infinite imagination. And trust me, I will choose NOT to play Isty because, again, I don't HAVE to pay to play a dragon in many MANY of my other 1k+ games I own, on top of that I have enough programming knowledge to just make my own shite, or I can even just write a story. Which is also free. Good stuff!

This in mind, a $5 sub option with a single character slot would be FAR more enticing to me. You just have to keep me from the long-time elitists who think they're the hottest ******** since sliced bread just because they can rub their face on a computer monitor for longer than I have the time to. If it would just cost $5 a month, that's something I really REALLY wouldn't mind trying at least once, maybe longer. But I am NOT paying $10 a month when there is FAR better for aboslutely free.

Also regarding the engine change: it's not happening anytime soon, I guarantee it. I HOPE it happens, and above all else I hope it happens PROPERLY. Unreal Engine? For Isty? Devs, I am truly hoping you did your research. I've worked with UE since the original iteration, it's a GREAT engine, but you're gonna have to really know your ******** if you intend to make an MMO with that engine. I wish you guys the best of luck, definitely. With enough diligence and learning, you guys can do amazing things with that engine.

EDIT: Hahahahaha, I love the censorship. First word: dang. Second word: Shizzle. Third word: Shizzle.

EDIT EDIT: Kesstryl, you made a fantastic point I forgot to bring up becuase I'm a derp.

"the kill 10 rats driven quests of Istaria make me never want to have alts because I don't want to do all that all over again"

That is one of the many many many reasons I refuse to pay any sub above $5. The game is nothing BUT that, the initial designers had no creativity whatsoever.
    Art block is like constipation. Sometimes you just gotta push. Once you get something out, the rest just starts flowing right out and you're left thinking "When the heck did I get diarrhea?!"

It would be really hard for those who have many toons and many plots to reverse to that type of subscription so im not sure this would take away money. I think this additional option may help transition for newer players. And im with Kesstryl here,it doesn't make sense to pay more for character slots you wont use.
    A dev input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Tilithia; December 31st, 2015 at 03:15 PM.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by Kesstryl View Post
    Now what about all these people who have filled up char slots with high level characters? They would have to delete all but one to access the $4.99 sub option I'm proposing, and with all the work that went into leveling those characters, this scenario will not happen. No one is going to delete high level characters just to spend $5 less a month.
    Actually you CAN archive characters (never done it personally so i don't know the specifics) but I know someone who has several chars archived.
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Actually you CAN archive characters (never done it personally so i don't know the specifics) but I know someone who has several chars archived.
    yep, this was done so people that downgrade from two subs to one are not stuck in said scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Vergial View Post
    But I am NOT paying $10 a month when there is FAR better for aboslutely free.

That is one of the many many many reasons I refuse to pay any sub above $5. The game is nothing BUT that, the initial designers had no creativity whatsoever.
    so .. you talk about a game_ you`ve never played-and will never play?
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    so .. you talk about a game_ you`ve never played-and will never play?
    I believe he did play once.. though I could be wrong?
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Lov: Your limited mind strikes again. How can I know anything about a game I have never played (such as the grind, oh dear GOD the grind)? I've been playing Istaria on and off for a bit over two years under a few free characters, plus I DID have a sub account for a little while. Hardly worth my money, but they got SOME of my money, really. I play because my girlfriend plays. I don't have to like it, I just have to enjoy spending time with her. Hell, I was around before the Great Experience Nerf, which I'm still 100% certain happened only to give the illusion that the game takes longer to play (hint: it doesn't, it's a crappy manipulative tactic that should never have happened).

Cal: Yea, I definitely played more than once. Unfortunately. XD I'll dabble on the free side, but they ain't getting another sub off me anytime soon.

EDIT: Actually, I've been playing for at least four years. My, how time flies.
    Last edited by Vergial; December 31st, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
    Art block is like constipation. Sometimes you just gotta push. Once you get something out, the rest just starts flowing right out and you're left thinking "When the heck did I get diarrhea?!"

(such as the grind, oh dear GOD the grind)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    I believe he did play once.. though I could be wrong?
    The grindfest introduced right from kion isn't exaclt enticing (heck, if i didn't find my clique in istaria I would've never got to ancient either because of that very grind. im pretty sure people finding exclusive freind groups is the only thing keepin istaria up right now because its sure hard to find any help at all outside of cliques.)

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    ...what works for other mmos does not neccessaryly work for Istaria...
    ...the number of players of a game says nothing-
    really nothing-its just statistics and numbers- no empirical prove...
    What works for other games doesn't work for istaria, you're totally right. Why? Because istaria's playerbase is tiny and man, its been discussed before that istaria's sub system is awful and it would make more revenue changing it, but the problem was there'd not be enough initial funds to get a system like that off the ground.

So this thread takes a step towards fixing what we can. I'm sure we'd definitely make more with a 5 dollar sub option there. As has been said - almost no ones gonna downsize, people aren't ready to give up their hard earned characters.
    Level 15 (or even 20) isn't much of an introduction to the game because you hardly leave KION at that point and there's an entire world to explore, nevermind you don't know half of the community either. So this provides a cheap entryway. People don't wanna fork out 10 dollars for a game they don't know if they even LIKE yet.

And for the pre-existing community - i think Alistos already mentioned somethign akin to this - they can stay in touch. When you have 5+ chracters with progress, you don't wanna delete em but if you're inactive you're not really inclined to pay 10+ dollars for a game you're rarely gonna touch. Thats a cost that people cannot justify. But if you sitll wanna drop in when you're not busy???? More likely to make a free account and that helps no one. One here has the option to archive characters until unbusy and go down to 5 dollars - a cost people are much more willing to pay.

As for the numbers...i'm one step away from being a lot saltier here. If games have player bases of 1k, 10k+ and make millions in revenue per year they're definitely doing SOMETHING right which istaria, blatently, by its hardly what, 100 players? maybe 200 max across all active accounts? And i don't imagine a lot more with paying but inactive accounts, istaria obviously is failing to do something. I'm sorry you really love istaria but it's far from a perfect game (hard to accept, i know) and thats clear by its lack of players - its lack of revenue.

There's a lot of flaws i could list but frankly this ain't the place to do it. But to dismiss games which are exponentially more successful than istaria then i'm not sure what to say. What words can get through a skull that thick. They're doing something right to get that revenue and istaria could do with following in their footsteps if they wanna stay alive in a very quickly developing and moving game market.

Azath, nice wording. Did a good job explaining some extra details some of us have missed. But this:

"But to dismiss games which are exponentially more successful than istaria then i'm not sure what to say. What words can get through a skull that thick."

Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesstryl View Post
    Ummm, the $4.99 is a sub, and is therefore not pay to win in any sense, nor is it a microtransaction. You pay to advance your one character. More money for the company. The $9.99 option gives extra character slots for those who like alts. I don't want alts so it's not attractive to me....
    You have a point.

I think I could support the idea if it follows the restrictions of the free sub, i.e. no Dragon characters. Would be up to Vitrium to decide if it should open up the other biped raves or stick to human only. The games' primary draws are playable Dragons, and plot building.

In your subsequent post you mention that you are playing a Dragon. That means beyond the trial period, you will need to sub with $9.99 sub at the minimum.

I do not support the idea of a $4.99 sub for a Dragon character.

To the rest of the posters, congrats on reaching level 97 Trolling! Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Guaran; December 31st, 2015 at 08:19 PM.

To the rest of the posters, congrats on reaching level 97 Trolling! Keep up the good work.
    You once again prove why your opinions don't matter. You don't wanna accept that some people don't agree, so you brush them off as meaningless. Thusly, you can be summarily ignored.

Also this: "I do not support the idea of a $4.99 sub for a Dragon character."

I read that as "I do not support the idea of letting other new people play the game for a cheaper price, cuz God forbid new people get to pay for the game and increase revenue."
    Last edited by Vergial; December 31st, 2015 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    It would be really hard for those who have many toons and many plots to reverse to that type of subscription so im not sure this would take away money. I think this additional option may help transition for newer players. And im with Kesstryl here,it doesn't make sense to pay more for character slots you wont use.
    A dev input would be appreciated.
    Its for the new players mostly and if they upgrade for another character is going to be costing them more so they are likely to buu the 10$ one and such, its to bring in more players.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...

You have a point.

I think I could support the idea if it follows the restrictions of the free sub, i.e. no Dragon characters. Would be up to Vitrium to decide if it should open up the other biped raves or stick to human only. The games' primary draws are playable Dragons, and plot building.

In your subsequent post you mention that you are playing a Dragon. That means beyond the trial period, you will need to sub with $9.99 sub at the minimum.

See here its allowed for all races.. i wouldent have no problems letting others play.. if they want to have more character slots for more dragon alts they will upgrade stop being a humbug you old elitist fart. I dont care if theres thousands of dragons running around xD But to simply put it just have it that they cant archive a character simplest way to end this one character slot all the way to 100 plus. all races, same as a free to play just unlocks the level 10/15 lock you just cant archive other characters xD

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    yep, this was done so people that downgrade from two subs to one are not stuck in said scenario.
    just have a set limit how many characters are allowed to be arcived. like the 4.99 one only let 1 character to be archived. oh sorry for the triple posts im on a ipod xD and it hates copy pasteing.

I can see a limit on archived characters for $5, possibly, though it'd likely entice new players better if there was no limit. Trust me, the chore of archiving/recovering characters on a regular basis would be more of a kick in the bum to upgrade the subscription, if anything.

Outright banning archiving for a $5 sub would be alienating to a degree, and would keep new players from testing more useful waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    And for the pre-existing community - i think Alistos already mentioned somethign akin to this - they can stay in touch. When you have 5+ chracters with progress, you don't wanna delete em but if you're inactive you're not really inclined to pay 10+ dollars for a game you're rarely gonna touch. Thats a cost that people cannot justify. But if you sitll wanna drop in when you're not busy???? More likely to make a free account and that helps no one. One here has the option to archive characters until unbusy and go down to 5 dollars - a cost people are much more willing to pay.
    I have to agree here. If you want to know my own reasons why I am failing more and more to justify the cost monthly on full accounts it is because of several reasons, some of which this isn't the place to discuss them on. One of the major ones though is the diminishing player base. It is a frustrating issue to say the least.

It makes getting rare items or crafted items (mainly items I can't craft or get the forms for like *cough* mental bane) that were normally on the connie or available somehow very difficult. Not to mention it is not much fun to play alone when maybe only 5-10 people are online. You can't do end game content like the epics or get ahold of end game items like the epic forms with one person unless you are willing to multi-window. That is just solo play and I can understand that gets lackluster after doing it for as long as your patience can withstand it.

Its already been said several times over that there is a grind to the game. There is a certain amount of grind to every game, but it is one of the issues Istaria has dogging it. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game, or play it when I feel like it. I am saying what I see. I do understand that this is a reason why it would be understandable that a new player to the game would not stick around and why older players get fed up with the repetition or difficulty. This happens in other games like WoW and even modern games like GW2 and Elite. Other games can offset that with expansions and major content updates, and ista can not do that which is fair enough. I don't expect miracles. The major hurdle ista has for it in regards to grind is that there is no way to deal with the grind of bipeds when they multi-class without an imbalance to rest of the system. If you go a week full of hunting up xp and trophies and don't get at least one level as a reward for that, then that is quite an issue that could be a factor in driving a player away.

I suppose one idea could be to make a biped only dungeon or area where they could get the xp to help with the grind issue that exists. Doing this, could be a way to go about it that doesn't affect the way the dragon xp gains work nicely atm. But this idea isn't for here and it belongs in its own separate thread.

TL;DR - There has been too much loss in the active players that hasn't been recovered over the last year, and the christmas season didn't pick up as it normally would have in population. These players have all had their reasons to quit, but its had a knock on effect for me. I just feel it may not be justified for me to keep several full accounts open at $10-14 an account in a game where I am pretty much only online with 3-10 other players a majority of the time.

The only thing holding me here is the ability to mod the game, which is a major creative outlet for me and a big pull, and my guildies and friends to whom I wouldn't speak to or see otherwise.

I think that a $5 sub could really help with gaining back some players who don't want or don't need several character slots. From a business perspective, its a smart decision to at least try it. Income is income. The bills need to be paid. A sub is better than no sub.

As for the numbers...i'm one step away from being a lot saltier here. If games have player bases of 1k, 10k+ and make millions in revenue per year they're definitely doing SOMETHING right which istaria, blatently, by its hardly what, 100 players? maybe 200 max across all active accounts? And i don't imagine a lot more with paying but inactive accounts, istaria obviously is failing to do something. I'm sorry you really love istaria but it's far from a perfect game (hard to accept, i know) and thats clear by its lack of players - its lack of revenue.

There's a lot of flaws i could list but frankly this ain't the place to do it. But to dismiss games which are exponentially more successful than istaria then i'm not sure what to say. What words can get through a skull that thick. They're doing something right to get that revenue and istaria could do with following in their footsteps if they wanna stay alive in a very quickly developing and moving game market.
    There are those who have said you can't compare Ista to other games, but you have to. Istaria might be an indie game and a niche game now, but those other games are still competition to Istaria in that they can draw players away from its player base and compete for the money that would go into a player's Istaria subscription. Those other games can affect Istaria's ability to survive another two, five, or ten years from now. So yes, you have to consider those other games and compare Istaria against them, at least in terms of what draws players in and what puts them off. You can't ignore a major factor that gives or denies Istaria more income to do what it needs to do to survive be that new hardware or hiring and paying staff.

And if that means $5 subs for one single character slot then why not? For those of us who have buildings we hold for our guilds or for the community and for those of us with five or ten alts we still actively play, its not really going to make a difference to us. To others who can't justify a full subscription, then it very well might.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Why? They're paying for one character only already. Heck, a FREE sub would offer more to people if it was this limited honestly. Considering most of the playerbase is dragons, and most not a dragon are not humans.

From the already a player but downgrading PoV: see above. a free sub would just be a lot better. you'd archive everything and create a new character just because what's the point in paying for a character that you'd never use because all your other characters are better///because most don't have a good human to fall back on so would need to create a new character anyway.
    there's not many that would be able to downgrade without forsaking ALL of their characters(versus all but one). This wouldn't at all aid people who have little time to play or little interest; really the only reason you would downgrade, and would more likely just force them away from the game/to not pay at all since...what's the point when they can't even be their character.

From a new player point of view: humans are grindy. very grindy. biepds are grindy. locking people out of being a dragon - which are way more fun to start with due to less grindy - is just poopy, especially because most people really wanna be the dragon. People won't be anymore inclined to justify the 10 dollar sub playing a human infact they'll probably be less wanting to pay more - there are many who refuse to touch bipeds because of how grindy and tedious they are to use. Many also suggest dragons as starter characters because of how in comparison simpler they are than peds. Locking to human (or biped at all) seems infact quite the opposite of what shoudl be done to increase revenue.

Dragons are the BIGGEST DRAW. the least grindiest. what is the point of paying for something that..doesn't even allow you to play the main point of the game?? frankly i think if i was new to istaria i'd just not play at all because i want an intro, but i wanna be a dragon y'know, 99.9% of the reason people pay attention to istaria at all is because of dragons. Locking them out of dragons when they're PAYING is some pretty poopy service you're giving people, and as of right now i don't see any justifiable reason for it?

It's not like it's a free sub - and i'd totally agree, free needs to be limited - but not while paying should race be limited. The one character limit is already a huge limit impeded on people (you need 3 characters to be able to do every questline in istaria).
    Last edited by Azath; December 31st, 2015 at 09:16 PM.

I can see a limit on archived characters for $5, possibly, though it'd likely entice new players better if there was no limit. Trust me, the chore of archiving/recovering characters on a regular basis would be more of a kick in the bum to upgrade the subscription, if anything.

Outright banning archiving for a $5 sub would be alienating to a degree, and would keep new players from testing more useful waters.
    Speaking purely from a personal perspective, having a limit on archived characters would kill it for me. At 18 characters, I would not cut down on the amount of alts I have just so I could have one active character to log in with at a lower price than my previous sub. Admittedly I am the exception and not the rule, but more alts = playing the game more, and imo it's neither morally right nor profitable to punish someone for playing the game more by limiting the number of allowed archived characters on a $5 sub.

*Unless a 'grandfathered' thing was done, similar to how the F2P option went, which allowed accounts that already had more than the limit to keep that limit, something like that. If I had to delete characters in order to meet an archive limit so that I could use the $5 sub, I just wouldn't sub, which IIRC was the point of the option in the first place.

Why? They're paying for one character only already.
    If I understood the OP correctly, they are playing a single dragon character on a free trial, and want to add another character. The game is likely not allowing that simply because their account is already out of bounds of the free account. He needs to either sub or make a new human only account.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisto View Post
    Speaking purely from a personal perspective, having a limit on archived characters would kill it for me..
    To my knowledge there is no limit on archived characters. They just get backed up to the same offline storage as all the unity characters they have. They can be imported at a later date via support ticket.

Thread Information