Thread: keep crashing when attempting to log in

Default keep crashing when attempting to log in

Keep getting unhandled exception error approx. 30 seconds after logging in using patch to blight, blight client 388.132.0

Turn that off and everything ok, no crashing.

Default Re: keep crashing when attempting to log in

Please check your resources_override for any UI files. It's probably the chat or quest defs. Delete those and use the defaults / compare the latest versions and merge in your changes. Maybe you run the chat tab mod, or another UI mod?

Checked resources_override folder,found no chat or quest defs or any other UI files, just map and character.def file. Seems though client 288.133 fixed whatever the problem was.

ok maybe spoke to soon, while no longer crashing with patch to blight (client 288.133) now with it Im can't see any chat in any channel. I can see people are in the channel, and the tab blights I'm assuming when someone posts, I just cant see their post or mine, chat remains blank.

Tried leaving channel and rejoining, did not help.

You might have that 10 tab (or was it 20) chat mod. Try to temporarily rename resources_override to something else like resources_override1 . Do this before starting game.

Once the game starts, it will automatically create a blank resources_override folder. Thats fine. See if those crashes and no chat still occurs. If not then that suggests something in override folder. Maybe try to eliminate (or add) things one at a time until it starts again.

That chat mod was causing crashes on the new npc chat dialogue too.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I'll try the renaming of resources_override folder and let you know. I have used the chat mod in the past but haven't been using it lately. Far as I know only mod I have currently is the mappack.

Nope with folder renamed, got same results with patch to blight. Im in the chat channels, i can see everyone that is in channel but can see no chat (theres or mine) except for guild chat that works.

Hmm, I can suggest one last experiment. Copy your /prefs/ServerName_Character_name/UIPersonal.def to some where safe location, then delete it from that folder. The game will re-create it upon startup. It stores things like chat windows, last window sizes of windows, such as inventory, etc. See if that brings chat back.

Also, check Chat Settings button (bottom right of chat box). Look towards the top and right side where it says "Filters". Make sure they all are blank. If you see one with something in it (such as a player name), then click (maybe it's double click that) and it should clear it.

If all of those still fail, please zip up your UIPersonal.def (from character folder) and your ClientPrefs_Common.def, ClientPrefs_Graphic.def and ClientPrefs_Launch.def and attached it to a support ticket, please.
    ----
    Edit: Seems Jstntron posted at same time. I hadn't thought about that, try his experiment first before my experiment. Could you copy that UICommunicationsPrefs.def over somewhere, before you delete it? Could be helpful for devs to analyze it and see what the issue is and deduce what might have caused it.

I had the same exact issues as you, and decided to just suck it up and take a few minutes to wipe and re-create my chat preferences. I deleted UICommunicationsPrefs.def from \Program Files (x86)\Istaria\prefs\<CHARACTER_NAME>\ and then launched the game and closed my three chat windows, and re-launched it. I then opened three new chat windows and populated them with my desired chats, then gracefully exited the game from the menu, launched again and all is well now. This seems to be required for game version 388.132 now, guessing that something with the UI manager was changed.
    Jstntron (Chaos): Ancient, Grand Master Dragon Crafter
    Woobie (Chaos): Saris, 41 Adventure/216 Crafter
    Vulkanos Firefiend (Order): Hatchling, 20/11

Actually, I spoke too soon as well. I completely backed up and deleted my character prefs, renamed resource_override, reset my global prefs and did a full scan using the Patch to Blight option, and nothing changed. I can see system messages in my main/combat tabs and such and even receive and reply to tells, but in any chat tab that is a player group chat, I cannot see any text sent or received, only the member list of the chat. 388.130 was the last working build for me, 388.132 crashed shortly after launch every time, and 388.133 doesn't crash, but group chats are blank. Patching back to live returns the game to a fully working state.

So, are you saying, if you patch to blight, you can not see for example, chat done in Market Channel?

Ok deleted the file UIPersonal.def and it recreated it, same results no chat works, player made (Scarlet-Dawn) or nonplayer (marketplace) for example. Only channels seemed to be working was Main and Guild. Guild chat works fine.
    I do see the chat tab blinking when someone says something just cant see whats said.

Nothing showing for filters.

Zipping up files to send in with a ticket.

PS: I didnt try what Jstntron said cause he posted spoke to soon, it didn't fix the problem after all.

Ok files sent to Support.
    Last edited by Smaug; January 9th, 2016 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    So, are you saying, if you patch to blight, you can not see for example, chat done in Market Channel?
    That is correct. Marketplace or any player chat channel does not show anything aside from the present chat members. Messages sent (even though you can't see them) still appear for other players and the chat tab blinks when there are unread messages, however. I can see all the olive colored system messages in the default main/combat tabs, player connects/disconnects and stuff like that, and even send and receive tells without issue.

Thanks, I can reproduce this, passing this off to tech for a fix

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    Thanks, I can reproduce this, passing this off to tech for a fix
    Fixed with latest blight client, thx

Thread Information