Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crafting made slightly easier?

Default Crafting made slightly easier?

To hop from craft school to craft school you have to go and talk to the crafting teacher, wouldn't be easier for everyone to just have a button somewhere that lets you switch to another craft school that you got? it could also help leveling up!
    It'd also be less time consuming (since you don't have to travel)
    Aurelia Borealis of Istara's Chosen.
    Art by Oceanappa.
    Banner by Racktor.

Default Re: Crafting made slightly easier?

Yes it would, but it would also mean that a biped could level miner/gatherer making the basic resources bars/spools and then switch to another school and make the final products tools/pouches/armor/etc. Pretty sure that's not what the devs have in mind I'd still very much like it, even if they could put a timer on it so you could only switch once every half-hour or something like this (and still be able to switch whenever you want by using a trainer). Alas, I believe it has been suggested more than once before and unfortunately it has not yet happened.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    Yes it would, but it would also mean that a biped could level miner/gatherer making the basic resources bars/spools and then switch to another school and make the final products tools/pouches/armor/etc. Pretty sure that's not what the devs have in mind I'd still very much like it, even if they could put a timer on it so you could only switch once every half-hour or something like this (and still be able to switch whenever you want by using a trainer). Alas, I believe it has been suggested more than once before and unfortunately it has not yet happened.
    But.... isn't that EXACTLY what's done already? Process raw materials in miner/gatherer then use them in the relevant craft schools? I mean that's exactly what I did when leveling up my biped. What purpose is there to grinding out 50000 metal bars for miner if you have no reason to use them? All this would cut out is recalling/porting and talking to the trainer then porting back to where your resources are.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

It depends which server board I think is which.

I think hallucin's point is that an easier switching ability wasn't so much that crafting bars in another school is not done right now, but moreso that it would make crafting, dare I say it, "too easy".

Frankly I don't see the point in running back to the trainers over and over again. I've never played a ped far, but I can get behind the idea. The only thought that comes to my mind is what happens to your disk if your craft level/rating no longer is sufficient? Does it just get unequipped like armor? Or does it stay attached for one reason or another? That could be exploited if it's the latter, though I doubt it.

Hallucin, mind explaining a bit more clearly? I'm understanding that what "wasn't what the devs intended" is the thought of just swapping at a machine and instantly crafting the next thing, but I could be misunderstanding you.

This suggestion is fantastic, and would cut out a lot of tedium from the game, that's for sure. There's literally no point to forcing a player to run all the way to a trainer to switch crafting schools, when they already know the skills needed to craft on the go. Hell, if we could just cut out the requirement to be in a certain school to level certain skills in general (looking at you, basic dragon crafting VS lairshaping, god the amount of experience I could have had from smelting all those bronze bars), that would be even better. But I understand the need to swap schools for biped leveling, at least.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

This. All of my this. Every part of my this.

Seriously, anything that reduces the grind (or the time-disrespect) is A-okay with me. Being able to swap schools on the fly would be AMAZING.
    Art block is like constipation. Sometimes you just gotta push. Once you get something out, the rest just starts flowing right out and you're left thinking "When the heck did I get diarrhea?!"

full support on this, only make it so that you can only do it with schools that you've already "learned" (obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    The only thought that comes to my mind is what happens to your disk if your craft level/rating no longer is sufficient? Does it just get unequipped like armor? Or does it stay attached for one reason or another? That could be exploited if it's the latter, though I doubt it.
    Just tested this, it is unequipped like armor. So assuming you had a FULL cargo disk, you would get overburdened.

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    Just tested this, it is unequipped like armor. So assuming you had a FULL cargo disk, you would get overburdened.
    Haha, that would so funny in the field... "HELP I'm overburdened, can someone pretty please come out with an empty cargo disk while I trade 50 times with you to transfer my disk's contents" (that's of course assuming you can't just switch back immediately).

To quote myself "I'd still very much like it". I'm in no way personally against the idea, I was just trying to point out that it has come up before and while I don't recall a specific dev response, it hasn't been implemented yet so it might be fair to assume that they do not wish to do so (who knows, maybe they've changed their opinions on this topic?).

You're certainly right Mach, I did just that too, but I had silos to store such a large number of resources. As such, I think this suggestion would slightly benefit players without plots more than those with plots, primarily the new players; so again, I am all for it. I personally see no downsides to this suggestion being implemented

It's a bit off-topic but something I do recall being mentioned is a "risk vs reward" mentality. The risk in adventuring is of course the killing of mobs, however, there is very little risk in crafting. Any "risk" relating to mobs is typically rewarded with more motherlode nodes, but besides that, there really is none. So in order to include barriers/time-sync related to crafting, having to talk to a trainer to switch schools is an obvious option. And before we go down the path, this suggestion is really only appropriate for Crafting schools, I wouldn't personally support such a change to Adventure schools (flicking between DPS/Tank/Healer would be far too easy and seriously unbalance the game).
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

I wouldn't necessarily say swapping adventure schools shouldn't be done like that... just make sure you can't switch anything in combat and/or a short wait period before you can switch again (10 minutes maybe and only for adventure switching without a trainer). That would prevent the problem of swapping quickly between DPS/Tank/Healer you mention.

Still, my main concern is with the craft schools and it doesn't particularly matter to me whether adventure is included or not.

bah, time kill
    i want more ability to haul resources
    i am still waiting for Awdz to figure out how to put a tier 6 silo on it's side on a couple of cargo discs :P

i now return this topic to it's more relevant discussion
    "Knowing others is intelligence,knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength,Mastering yourself is true power"
    by Lao-Tzu

What if... you could switch in the field (using an ability each school granted)... but as a side-effect, every school was converted to the primary skill system.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

It depends which server board I think is which.

I'm sorry, but what is the primary skill system? Is that the "You don't earn EXP from this because <SKILL> isn't used by <SCHOOL>"?

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    What if... you could switch in the field (using an ability each school granted)... but as a side-effect, every school was converted to the primary skill system.
    No, but thanks.

Knossos

Only fair way I can see easy switching being made available
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I'm not really against the changing in the field. Should only allow changing to schools the player knows, that perhaps have been leveled to at least 10? That might sound like a weird idea, but all the players would do to get around being able to only change to schools they've joined, would be to simply visit every trainer once joining every single craft school up front. And, since a lot of the trainers have quests that take the player to about level 10 anyway, it would fit.

Making all the schools primary skill isn't really a nerf, so I'm not sure the real source of discontent about that. CNF levels fast making food, and Lairshaper levels really fast making a lair too. Those are both primary skill. So you wouldn't get exp making metal bars as fitter, but you'd get more than enough extra making and applying sheets etc. At least that's how the other primary skill schools work.

Even if this got put in, half the time when you are in the zone making stuff, players would forget to change schools anyway...

A better idea might be, make all the schools primary skill, but make it so that, say for spellcrafter, that crafting spells' EXP to always just go to spellcrafter, regardless of the school the player is in, with the only exception being scholar: if you are in scholar, spell exp goes to scholar (unless they make scholar center only on getting exp from making scrolls). Tailor/Outfitter would work the same way. This actually makes sense for processing skills, and would fit well with making all schools primary skill. And would negate the need to change schools so often.

This is how I envision the scenario would work: Make sure you've joined miner and fitter schools already, current school doesn't matter, go out and mine ore, make bars with the exp automatically going to miner, then make sheets automatically getting fitter exp, apply to a building and automatically get mega more fitter exp. Run back out to mine more ore, rinse repeat, and no school changing even required. If all classes go primary skill, miner would be the only school that would get exp from making bars anyway. But might have to leave DRCA in as well though since they can't join miner. A nice solution to that would be to allow Dragons to join Miner. (And Gatherer too). Can give those prestige schools pre-reqs (only for Dragons) for joining of needing 200 mining for Miner, 200 essence harvesting for Gatherer, which Dragons would have to level up to in DRCA first, before they could join them. Or I guess just 20 DRCA which might be easier.

After all this, could allow players to switch the active school in the field, which would mainly be done to be in the right school to get quests, since certain quests only show up if you are in the right craft school.
    Last edited by Guaran; January 8th, 2016 at 10:27 PM.

My mind numbs on Enchanter School and primary skill. Enchanter does some building functions and some non-building functions. Would only the building functions gain exp for Enchanter?

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    My mind numbs on Enchanter School and primary skill. Enchanter does some building functions and some non-building functions. Would only the building functions gain exp for Enchanter?
    If so, would the school name be changed from Enchanter to Essense Structerer?

Knossos
    Last edited by Cegaiel; January 9th, 2016 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Fixed broken /quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post

Knossos
    Well, anything that uses "Enchanting" as the skill, would get exp. But since they also do Essence Structuring and Transmutation, this school would likely have 3 primary skills that would both grant exp. No other schools give either of those skills or exp in those skills. (DRCA does give exp for Transmutation iirc).

So, making purified orbs, or enchanting other resources would give exp.
    Making construction units and applying would give exp.
    Transmuting resources would give exp.

You are right that not all structures require essence resources, so that might hamper getting exp in Enchanter. Bumping up the exp across all three skills could help I suppose.

For me personally, I understand that if I'm gathering essence orbs as an enchanter to level it up, and then I fill my vault with essence orbs, I need to switch to spellcrafter or scholar if I want to make spells out of them and get XP. I don't really see a problem with this, I think the intention here is less to 'merge' crafting schools but more to just relieve tedious running about.

For me, the annoyance isn't so much that I have to leave the 'resource gathering area' and change schools, but more that I have to do a lot of tiresome portalling about.

For example, levelling miner on cobalt bars in Falathien.
    Fill up public building with bars, recall or run to portal. Portal to someplace with a fitter trainer, find said trainer, learn fitting. Teleport back to Falathien. Run back out to spot. Use up bars. Recall or run to portal. Portal to someplace with a miner trainer, find said trainer, switch back. Portal back to Falathien. Run back out to spot to carry on. This just seems unnecessary. What makes it further annoying is that the more times you zone, the closer the client comes to crashing, at least for me. Depending on your bind point this process could take 7, 8 teleports.

What if you could build a building on your plot or guild plot that was, I don't know, something like 'academy', from which you could click and access/change to any class you learned? Could pertain to adventuring as well. This would at save at least some time from the running about and would require a time investment to build such a building and have it be available. You could even add an 'instructor' npc that you'd have to buy a permit for to create a cash sink for it.

This would reduce the above scenario to -
    Mine and make bars, recall to guild or house plot, change class, run back out there. Make things, recall to guild or house plot, change class, run back out there. This doesn't eliminate the running completely but certainly makes it less hassle. Also gives us something new to build.

------
    Alternative Suggestion -

When reaching some level in a school, say ..50? You could do a quest given by the trainer to grant the ability to switch to and from that school from the schools panel rather than running to the trainer every time.

Thread Information