Thread: damage Delay Adjustment bugs in some crystals and spelltechs

Default damage Delay Adjustment bugs in some crystals and spelltechs

The 'newer' weapon crystals and the Mental Bane tech need to all be Delay Adjusted, like the old crystals were, and like Romp, Pierce, Gale spelltechs currently are.

Delay adjustment means that the added damage from the weapon crystal was the same, over time, regardless of the weapon delay. So a monk with 20 delay handwraps using a 5% chance for 100-120 extra blight damage crystal would do the same damage over time from the blight weapon crystal as a warrior with a 40 delay axe.

The older weapon crystals properly delay adjust by modifying the % chance to go off (multiplies the %chance times wpn delay/20). So that the 5% chance crystal in 20 delay (the fastest delay weapon) handwraps has a 5*(20/20) = 5% chance to go off, or in a 40 delay axe has 5*(40/20) a 10% chance to go off. Since the monk hits twice as often as the axe, the crystal's %chance effect is increased in the higher delay weapon so that over time the damage contributed by the crystal is the same for both situations.

This delay adjustment also applies to spell techs with %chance effects like Romp, Pierce, Gale, and should also apply to Mental Bane (which is not currently delay adjusted, and shows a flat 10% chance that doesn't scale up with slower delay spells). For spells use the spell delay for the adjustment calculation.

I can give specific names of crystals that do delay adjust and ones that do not if needed. Off the top of my head, the Veteran Dark Garnet weapon crystal does delay adjust, so does Icy Beveled Stone. Any of the newer (well, by now they've been around awhile) weapon crystals do not delay adjust. Dim, Pale, Glowing, Bright, Shining, Radiant weapon crystals with % chance effects should delay adjust their %chance, which is all of them save the Dim Crystal of Might.
    Last edited by Guaran; January 18th, 2016 at 07:08 AM.

Default Re: damage Delay Adjustment bugs in some crystals and spelltechs

All of the old Weapon Stones are delay adjusted too, you even see the different % if you place them in a fast or slow delayed weapon.

For the example I used a Glowing Beveled Stone, in a Hand Wrap with a delay of 21 (=5% Chance), and a Maul with a delay of 50 (=12% Chance).

As Guaran already stated, all the crystals that got later into the game (I think it was around 2007 or 08), wheren't delay adjusted anymore, except very vew like the Thurid's Stone of Wrath.
    Last edited by Terao; January 18th, 2016 at 05:43 PM.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Yeah the base delay might be 21, if thats a typical handwraps. So the %chance is adjusted by this calculation
    (reported in description %chance of crystals' effect of going off)*(weapon delay/21)

Observation of the same behavior for spelltechs can be easily viewed by making some short delay and long delay spells with romp tech, in the longer delay spells the %chance goes up. Not sure what the base delay for spells is. It might also be 21 or slightly different.

Mental Bane is an easy fix. Unfortunately the "new" crystals, I assume you are referring to the damage crystals that Crystalshapers make, are problematic. They don't operate the same as the old weapon crystals, such as Thurid's Stone or the Veteran Dark Garnet crystal because they are not socketed. Instead, they are consumed. We're investigating.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

My caster with Mental Bane teched onto her Drain Bolt spell (45 delay) is showing a 30% proc chance. The Improved Prime Bolt (48 delay) I also teched it into is showing 32% proc chance.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Mental Bane is an easy fix. Unfortunately the "new" crystals, I assume you are referring to the damage crystals that Crystalshapers make, are problematic. They don't operate the same as the old weapon crystals, such as Thurid's Stone or the Veteran Dark Garnet crystal because they are not socketed. Instead, they are consumed. We're investigating.
    No, i don't mean the consumables. I am talking about all of the 'newer than the Faceted/Beveled/Brilliant/Flawless' socketable weapon crystals that was one of the first things Vitrium did after getting the game back from EI. (or were these crystals one of the last things the older owners did..). None of those crystals delay adjust. So they are not bad for a monk or a bow using a shortbow, but for longer delay weapons like axes and swords they are not worth using. These crystals got put in to give new options that had higher level requirement and higher damage effects, but the %chance doesn't scale. Example:

Radiant Diviner's Crystal of Might, Radiant Bludgeoning Crystal, and the 'of Magic' variations to name a few.

horizons_1453173608.jpg
    In the above picture I put a Radiant Diviner's Crystal of Might in a 31 delay club, and in a 55 delay maul. It shows 5% chance to go off on both weapons.

Then I put an Ardent Beveled Stone in the same two weapons, and the crystal shows 7% chance in the 31 delay weapon, 13% chance in the 55 delay weapon.

5*(31/21)= 7.38
    5*(55/21) = 13.10

Not all weapon crystals will require delay adjustment, only those with an effect that has a %chance to go off. So Health crystals, Strength crystals, resistance crystals, etc. are not affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisto View Post
    My caster with Mental Bane teched onto her Drain Bolt spell (45 delay) is showing a 30% proc chance. The Improved Prime Bolt (48 delay) I also teched it into is showing 32% proc chance.
    Nice. Sounds like this one was already fixed then, since the last I looked at it. Was the Mental bane a Crafted version or a Quest reward version? (In case one works properly and one doesn't).
    Last edited by Guaran; January 19th, 2016 at 02:38 AM.

Nice. Sounds like this one was already fixed then, since the last I looked at it. Was the Mental bane a Crafted version or a Quest reward version? (In case one works properly and one doesn't).
    One was crafted, one was from the quest. Crafted went on the drain bolt and quest went on the prime bolt, so both should be working correctly.

Thanks, Guaran. Comparing the two really helps identify the differences between them so we can determine a course of action to fix it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information