Thread: Hotkey mapping

Default Hotkey mapping

Hello. It seems no one else has mentioned this before, but would it be possible to be able to assign a keybinding to all hotkeys from all banks (or at least more than what we currently have) without having to switch the "primary" hotkey bank back and forth?

As a biped, I found myself countless times in tight situations where I could've survived if that instant heal or area syphon had been just a little faster (it hadn't been so because I had to hunt-and-click instead of just pressing a hotkey). Even though dying isn't really a problem for me in terms of death points, it's still a real bummer.

I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but I for one would welcome such a change. What does everyone else think?

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Re: Hotkey mapping

I do think this would certainly be useful and even on my dragons it could make my life a bit easier. However I'm not sure if we have enough buttons on our keyboard for this. The option would be lovely, but by default it'd have to be left blank - there's ~200 hotkey slots available ingame right now

I'd LOVE this!

There's a select few things that i have on hotkeys that i'd frankly love to put on keybinding. Toggle cargo disk, for one thing (I craft a alot) haha.

Though, unsure how it'd be implemented.
    Perhaps something like in the Edit Hotkey window for a given hotkey, just under the bar where you edit the tooltip, there's like a box for "Key Binding" where you type the key you wanna associate with it in there (obvs, it's express conflicts just like in options > keybindings).

This way keybindings are optional so we don't come into the issue of 1. accidentally hitting keys (why i take off the keybindings for toggle ui and recall in new downloads of istaria) 2. the keyboard becomes as crowded as you want it to be - this means by default, the keyboard remains pretty uncluttered as are the default keys and 3. what rack said - there's 200 keys. it'd be pretty ugly to have all 200 slots in lines in the options > keybindings menu or really, any menu for that matter.

Make it so that individual keyboard keys can be assigned to do commands like "Bank 2, Button 4" like in macros.

It could be on it's own tab in the customize keys area.

It would be up to the player to make sure they aren't using their "move forward" key also for a macro. Though even if they did it wouldn't be catastrophic. We would of course be limited by the number of keys available, but having a few of those emergency use items on the keyboard could be handy.

Good to see this had positive feedback.

There's actually a surprising amount of hotkeys you can cover with your keyboard with the help of modifiers (CTRL, ALT and SHIFT). It's not enough to encompass every single hotkey, but it comes close. Just with the amount of keys in reach of one hand + modifiers you can map between 160 and 180 different keys, depending on your keyboard setup, which I think it's pretty good. Of course, remembering all of those would be a problem, but on the bright side: no more deaths due to an instant heal that didn't come in time!

Thread Information