Thread: RE: New Craft Idea - GARDENING

Default RE: New Craft Idea - GARDENING

While reviewing some of my old and long-forgotten forum posts .. I came across one with new plot item suggestions .. but something hit me like a train as if many of the ideas, when taken as a whole, could even be potentially developed [in time] to freshen up crafting, plot ideas and enthusiasm for planning and plot subs all in one go .. also possibly linking in to Qetesh's excellent idea for loyalty plots.

>>> NEW Craft Idea - Prestige School > GARDENING !!!! -- 10 skill per lvl
    Sub Skills >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Planting ------ 9 skill per lvl

Picking
    [FLOWERS] 8 skill per lvl
    Growing [SEEDS] 8 skill per lvl
    Foraging [HERBS] 7 skill per lvl

GARDENING Skill [I-VI] - determines what flowers you may use AND WHICH SHAPE of flowerbeds .. 6 tiers of flowers like other resources, rare flowers and common flowers in each tier, like fish., herbs etc .. for example a DAFFODIL could be a common flower in t1, seeds bought from a vendor or festival, with a TULIP being rare t1 and only found in the wild, AN ORCHID or type of such, could be t6 rare and found only in the wild ..

PLANTING Skill [I-VI] - needed to use the various tiers of flowers and bulbs

PICKING / GROWING / FORAGING [I-VI] - needed to harvest the various FLOWER or BUSH types from a vendor or festival, Greenhouse or the wild

FLOWER BEDS of six different SHAPES for each tier .. SQUARE - T1, CIRCLE - T2, TRIANGLE - T3, RECTANGLE - T4, SEGMENT [QUARTER CIRCLE] - T5 and SEGMENT [eighth circle] - T6 .. plot planners could have a FIELD-DAY [pun intended] designing beautiful parks AND gardens

Planning the BEDS in the planning window, then new option to open another planning window to plan where and what flowers or bushes go where in the flowerbeds, using the same system.

>>> NEW Building - GREENHOUSE

Option to build our own greenhouse to grow a limited number/type of our own confectioner vegetables or herbs and flowers from seedlings .. grown over some days/weeks on timers. Bulbs could be bought from vendors.

I realise of course we are talking a lot of backroom work and coding, but the potential to link in many benefits for the game, the business plan, playerbase enthusiasm .. may just make this something to consider.

We have the paths, hedges and many other items already ,,

of course this needs to be much more carefully thought through, I just wanted to get the bare bones of something that might be worth taking further , down and on to the forum whilst fresh-ish in my addled brain .. /grin

=========================================

I humbly submit this idea for scrutiny and discussion .. hopefully enthusiastic.
    Lio de Purr [Proud Saris] -------------------------------- 100 : HLR / SPRT -- 63 MAG
    100 : MIN/GTH - CRP/ENC/FIT/MSN/WVR - JWL - FLT/WPN/ARM - Tlr=80
    Huffenpuff [Adult Helian] ---------------------------------- 100 : DCra -- 76 Drag Adv.
    <The Alliance> Acul - Harro - Wolf's Paw - Drift Pt - Fabric Isle <CHAOS>

Default Re: New Craft Idea - GARDENING

RE: New Craft Idea - GARDENING [UPDATE 01]

Fleshing out various aspects and related items .. as you do.

GARDENING ========== GDN >> 10 Skill per level

PRESTIGE Skill allowing the planning of the differing Tiers of FLOWER BED Shapes and sizes .. and the relevant Usable Tiers of Flowers, Herbs and bulbs.

PLANTING =========== PLT >> 9 Skill per level

PROCESSING the placing of Flowers, Herbs and Bulbs of the relevant TIERS on/in to the design of the relevant tiered Flowerbeds.

GROWING ============ GRW >> 9 Skill per level [added +1]

PROCESSING Flowers, Herbs in the relevant tiered Greenhouse gathered from the wild by PICKING, or bought from Vendors. as Seedlings, with maybe common varieties available all year round from vendors below, and rare varieties only available at festivals or in the wild.

This skill also includes the WATERING and FERTILISING [more to flesh out here] of seedlings and cuttings [taken from the wild or other players selling already grown or picked varieties on connies - SEE MORE BELOW]

[NEW] CUTTING ============ CUT >> 9 Skill per level

Another PROCESSING Skill where such gathered flowers, herbs may also have cuttings taken by players who found these items in the wild, or grown from seedlings BY USING THE RELEVANT TIERED SKILL OF picking and growing, and sell them on the connies where other players can purchase and grow in their own GREENHOUSES.

PICKING ============ PCK >> 8 Skill per level

A new aspect of the GATHERING School but specifically for Common and Wild Flowers hidden out in the lands of Istaria, or grown in the relevant tiered Greenhouse on timers.

FORAGING =========== FOR >> 7 Skill per level

As per current game mechanics and used for gathering Herbs and vegetables in the current CONFECTIONERY School.

>>>>> New VENDORS / TRAINERS ---------------------------------

Flower Seedlings and Bulbs, relevant tiered common varieties available all year round from Beginner, Journeyman or Expert GARDENING School Trainers in relevant level city Garden Centres [See below for suggested examples] .. special vendor for rare varieties of each tier of flowers and bulbs at each festival etc.

These also sell the relevant tiered forms for the TOOLS below, and other sundry forms and items.

BEGINNER [T1 - T2] -- PARSINIA > Name TBA

JOURNEYMAN [T3 - T4] -- FELEDAN > Name TBA

EXPERT [T5 - T6] -- AUGHUNDELL > Name TBA

Introducing also TWO 'APOTHECARY' npcs who sell only Herbs, common types available all year round, rare herbs of each tier only available at festivals .. maybe also sell basic alchemical potions for healing, buffs and enhancements, that won't effect the alchemists trading market.

ALL TIERS [Common types HERBS] -- Apothecary Hilarion
    ---------- available all year round in FELEDAN.

ALL TIERS [Festival Variety RARE Herbs] -- Apothecary Helena
    --------- available ONLY at each seasonal festival,

>>>>> New [and old] TOOLS -----------------------------

GARDENING ========== GDN >> SPADE .......................METAL
    PLANTING =========== PLT >> GARDENING FORK [Trowel size].METAL
    GROWING =========== GRW >> WATERING CAN ................METAL
    ----------------------------->> FERTILISER MIXING STICK .....WOOD
    CUTTING ============ CUT >> ISTARIAN ARMY KNIFE..........METAL
    PICKING ============= PCK >> GARDENING GLOVES.............CLOTH
    FORAGING =========== FOR >> HARVEST KNIFE................METAL

>>>>> NEW Building - GREENHOUSE --------------------------

BEGINNER Greenhouse [T1 - T2] -- Bonus +25 GDN/PLT/GRW/CUT Skills
    JOURNEYMAN Greenhouse [T3 - T4] -- Bonus +50 GDN/PLT/GRW/CUT Skills
    EXPERT Greenhouse [T5 - T6] -- Bonus +75 GDN/PLT/GRW/CUT Skills

=========================================

I believe that if this is done with the correct and amazing attention to detail that this amazing game is known for, that ISTARIA can also become known as the ONLY MMORPG in the World where you can play a DRAGON, enjoy and use the best CRAFTING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD .. and maybe NOW enjoy planning and playing the only game where you can Garden .. maybe a draw for the slightly elder players who enjoy such pastimes, as well as our younger playerbase who enjoy other aspects of our wonderful game.

I humbly submit this idea for scrutiny and discussion .. hopefully enthusiastic. More updates to come, and if any feedback is inspired here, it would be wonderful to hear about what others may feel.
    Last edited by Lio; February 27th, 2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: clarification
    Lio de Purr [Proud Saris] -------------------------------- 100 : HLR / SPRT -- 63 MAG
    Huffenpuff [Adult Helian] ---------------------------------- 100 : DCra -- 76 Drag Adv.

This is a really cool concept, a new kind of construction school. I would love to see it implemented. :-)

I don't got green thumb but I like to see things grow. Id like to see this in game too.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Such a wonderful idea and well thought concept. Thy Lio
    I`d love to have it ingame.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I like the idea but i just don't think it's needed.

I mean...a whole school solely to make a small portion of plot structures? That's just inconvenient, imo, and I personally would not like to level up a whole nother school so I can place 1 t6 flower on my plot....

Forgive me if i missed out another useful aspect somewhere.

I like this but I have to think about practical use I have to agree it is kind of pointless if it is only used on plots you need to expand on it more Lio.

I really like the idea. It might seem pointless, but I do like it if nothing else than to make it seem like we've got some life to our plots. We have that tilled soil floor tiling and its kind of sad that we have no decorative plants (even if they don't give resources) to put on it.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    I like the idea but i just don't think it's needed.

I mean...a whole school solely to make a small portion of plot structures? That's just inconvenient, imo, and I personally would not like to level up a whole nother school so I can place 1 t6 flower on my plot....

Thank you for your honest feedback Azath ..

is this needed ? -- well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and long may that remain so ,,

I mean...a whole school solely to make a small portion of plot structures?
    -- my answer would be that this is another aspect of fun for design and planning on our existing plots, with some of the playerbase maybe inspired to use the smaller plots if a more amenable and cheaper purchase system is implemented ..

like Qetesh's idea of using loyalty tokens, or having the option of purchasing 'plot area' with our subs which might allow for the addition of a smaller plot which could be used as a vegetable, herb, flower or rose garden .. with walls, greenhouses , paths and flowerbeds etc ..

Combine this with another aspect where the Istarian economy might get a little boost and be a little more fluid with the sale of cuttings and rare herbs and flowers and new tools and other sundry items.

Combine this also with GROWING our own vegetables, herbs for confectionery items and the fun of watching things grow through 4 or 5 model changes on set timers combined with levels of skills in fertiliser make-up and watering regularity in the greenhouse or the flowerbed ..[see UPDATE 02]

That's just inconvenient, imo, and I personally would not like to level up a whole nother school so I can place 1 t6 flower on my plot ..
    -- some or many of the playerbase may find this fun, some will prefer other aspects of istaria for their sub dollars .. thats the beauty of Istaria ..

you can pick and choose [pun-intended] how you play .. the variety is the key, and this is what our amazing game is so good at .. something for all, and I would hope that this may be considered as another option in that kaleidescope of fun.

-- maybe there are some aspects in my above reply which may not have occurred to you, but if not, of course you don't need to participate at all in this, just enjoy what you enjoy, and go in peace.

Ooh good gods of istaria, please....nnooooo I will he chained to the plough forever....

OK serious note I like it... Alot. Two thumbs up from me
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

A very good idea,
    there are so many empty plots, always a pitiable sight - we can use it for free garden or cultivated land.

All the vegetables and spices for our food can be cultured.

Flameus Nimrod: 100/100/100/100 Lupussan Nimrod: Adventure Rating 278 - Crafting Rating 234 GMC

Sounds interesting although all I want is to be able to have roses climb up the sides of the ugly silos!
    I do see one possible pitfall however in that Mintian the goat might not be trusted with any garden
    or green house she sees on Order. The more I feed her, the hungrier she gets............
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

I'm all for more decorative items for plots.

We already have flowers we can build on plots. More choices in that would be great.

I don't think a whole new construction school is needed to accomplish that.

However would like to see your ideas fleshed out on the varying flowers and tiers. The idea that some flowers' "seeds" would be very rare is interesting. Mush like the banner pattern is needed to finish a banner or a mural, a very rare dropped component could be the final piece needed to build certain plants on plots. So I think your ideas in general could be easily implemented, as long as the modeling and artwork could be accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    The idea that some flowers' "seeds" would be very rare is interesting. Mush like the banner pattern is needed to finish a banner or a mural, a very rare dropped component could be the final piece needed to build certain plants on plots.
    Why would a component need to be "very rare" except at the very highest tier? I would much rather have to level up another construction school than have to hunt endless days for a frustratingly low drop rate. I have a plot because I like to build. Please do not make this a "not worth the bother" item.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Why would a component need to be "very rare"? I would much rather have to level up another construction school than have to hunt endless days for a frustratingly low drop rate. I have a plot because I like to build. Please do not make this a "not worth the bother" item.
    I don't think Guaran means that every buildable thing needs to have a rare component, just that a few very fancy looking things, could use rare components to complete.

/bump .. for further thought AFTER Unreal Engine implemented ..

Unfortunately the Unreal engine won't add the capability to grow resources on plots. That would require changes to the server. Its a good suggestion and one that the team long ago considered (back in 2006 when we were planning an expansion), but there is no current plan for it to be added.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Ooh good gods of istaria, please....nnooooo I will he chained to the plough forever....

OK serious note I like it... Alot. Two thumbs up from me
    .. hopefully you mean two 'GREEN' Thumbs ? ../grin

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Unfortunately the Unreal engine won't add the capability to grow resources on plots. That would require changes to the server. Its a good suggestion and one that the team long ago considered (back in 2006 when we were planning an expansion), but there is no current plan for it to be added.
    .. tbh Amon, I was meaning something along the lines of the 'WAIT A FEW SECS' system already coded in-game combined with 5 or so different progressive artwork images per plant, from small shoot to fully grown plant, and a not-watered artwork showing 1-3 graded brown to dry/shrivelled standard images if watering does not occur using the W. CAN manually, or if a SPRINKLER System with varying Tiered Water Tank capacities [T1 - 1 week no need to water, thru T6 - 6 weeks no need etc., for example] .. is not added to the plot.

.. just in case that needed clarifying.

Thread Information