Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White screen of death

Default Re: White screen of death

After maintenance today I'm experiencing the disappearing textures bug like previously. Before maintenance I wasn't having this problem,
    And like before its only noticeable when I play my dragon.

All my drivers are up to date. And tbh if this wasn't happening before maintenance regardless of driver status it has to be the maintenance that brought this on again.

alright, time to apply the typical bugfix questions!

Who are you playing as, what race, in the case of a dragon, what stage?
    What are you doing the moment the bug hits you, are you gathering, flying, etc.? be as specific as possible
    Where are you and have you been this login session?

Seeing as this is only affecting some people (I haven't had it hit me on my hatchling or dryad for example.) being as detailed as possible definately helps narrow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post

What are you doing the moment the bug hits you, are you gathering, flying, etc.? be as specific as possible

Seeing as this is only affecting some people (I haven't had it hit me on my hatchling or dryad for example.) being as detailed as possible definately helps narrow it down.
    talk about jynxing myself...sooo:

-I was playing on my hatchling
    -Was fighting in the Lesser Aradoth, recalled back to the Kion Shrine, afk'd for about 10-15 minutes, and then the world went invis. Before that I had been questing in Kion, Parsinia and Sslanis.
    -Kion, Sslanis, Parsinia, Lesser Aradoth Deadlands, and general Lesser Aradoth.

I also noticed I had been hit by the greater epic aura upon log in (in Sslanis).

- Who: Well, I've always played my ancient dragon.
    - What: I've been doing numerous different things when textures disappear, no common denominator. Also, in my experience being in combat doesn't seem to affect the bug. Textures have also disappeared in play sessions where I haven't done any combat at all.
    - Where: Everywhere It's not about a specific place.

However, what I've seen is this: textures only start to disappear after a longer play session. Windows task manager usually shows around 1.5gb of istaria.exe memory usage when I get hit by the bug. Bug has never happened, say, around 1gb of memory usage.

I also wondered if porting causes the bug but no; I once tried to get the bug to appear by simply flying around Istaria and I succeeded. No porting at all.

However, when I do port, the textures seem to disappear not long after porting for the last time - if memory usage is around 1.5gb or more. It's as if I hit some kind of hard limit then.

As I stated earlier, I have a GTX 970 and I've tried three different drivers - no success. The GTX has 4GB of memory. I wonder if all the affected people are Nvidia users? How about Radeon, Intel? I have 8GB of computer RAM, now if I had 16GB, what would happen...?

Ahael's description is pretty much perfect, it's exactly same here. Except I have AMD gpu (2GB of memory) and cpu. And 12GB ram so I don't think it's hardware specific problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoubek View Post
    Ahael's description is pretty much perfect, it's exactly same here. Except I have AMD gpu (2GB of memory) and cpu. And 12GB ram so I don't think it's hardware specific problem.
    judging from the chances made we can pretty much assume it's not hardware related issue no, that's why I was so very specific about "where" being a point, at first the issue was seemingly caused by dragons and a culling issue, however, that culling issue can affect a number of objects, all of which could cause this issue.

"where" is an important factor here in deciding what objects are present each time the issue arrises.

That is if I'm not taking any of the tech speak I read in the cross chat as things they didn't mean.

"where" is an important factor here in deciding what objects are present each time the issue arrises.
    Alright, well this was my yesterday:

Logged in – ported to kion – about 20 mins afk – come back moved around – kion started to flicker – recalled to dralk - no flicker – ported to bristugo – run into reklar – everyhting white – recalled to dralk – everything black for change – restart;
    Ported to eastern outpost – fly to spiritous swam – spent about 40 mins aroundthat area – recalled to dralk – port to delgarath – again around 30 mins there - then ported to DD – flickering - restart;
    After about 10 minutes in DD recalled to dralk – about 15 mins afk – ported to tazoon – 20 mins flying around desert south – recalled to dralk – ported to rift – after about five minutes there – flickering – restart;
    After that I played about two more hours without problems

Everything on ancient (but it was happening before on adult as well), I think i still have support logs form yesterday. I can send them when I get home, if that’s any help.

From before, I can say it happened number of times around Dalimond peninsula, especially close to Hellian’s tomb, also in tomb south from Chiconis (idk name), Dralk, tower of clerics and slate crest. What might be interesting is that it never happened in snowy area (Trandalar, Kirasanct) so far.

Also I am not sure if its connected to it, but some objects are permanently invisible for me. Like wall around Skulk village in swamp, ledge above Surtheim, and some crystals in Dralk.

Idk what to else to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoubek View Post
    Also I am not sure if its connected to it, but some objects are permanently invisible for me. Like wall around Skulk village in swamp, ledge above Surtheim, and some crystals in Dralk.
    Not sure that's related as I've had that problem for a long time.

I have two installations on the same computer so I can dual-box. There is a tree in Nuthala that is invisible on one of my installations and not on the other (and I've deleted cache, fully re-patched, etc.). Also, the Dralk vault cave will not load on that same installation, but will on the other. I even went so far as to delete the entire installation and copy it over from the one that works and they are still invisible. I just gave up after a while.

Those problems pre-date the white screen of death (at least for me)

For me it started not after the latest patch, but after the latest hotfix to the patch.
    At first it happened only after 2-3 hours.

But since yesterday, directly after i bought and used the flying beetle pet for StyxQua my ancient dragon, it takes barely 20 mins before the textures start to disappear. Somehow it has the feel of a memory problem, do we have a new memory leak or some memory fragmentation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhili View Post
    For me it started not after the latest patch, but after the latest hotfix to the patch.
    At first it happened only after 2-3 hours.

But since yesterday, directly after i bought and used the flying beetle pet for StyxQua my ancient dragon, it takes barely 20 mins before the textures start to disappear. Somehow it has the feel of a memory problem, do we have a new memory leak or some memory fragmentation?
    Blight client 390.35 and 390.36 seem to work for me, my textures have stayed in place for several days now.

However, I'm not sure if it is related to the blight client or not, but I've suffered far more lag than usually. This especially during combat, but sometimes accessing NPCs is slow too. The game may stay unresponsive for a couple of seconds at a time in combat.

On the other hand, things seem start to lag after game has been running for a 'while', usually when mem usage goes above 1.5 gig - just like when my textures used to start to disappear...! However, now that I use blight client 390.36, I've lagged less than before...

I do have a flying beetle with me, and one thing I haven't mentioned previously is that I play in windowed mode. I could try to play without the beetle and see how it goes.

Thread Information