Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your memories of classic "Horizons" or "Istaria" goofs, errors, etc.

Default Post your memories of classic "Horizons" or "Istaria" goofs, errors, etc.

Having been a beta tester back in the day, and being able to "cast spells" as a mage with a dragon before it was revamped to "dragon only" and "dragon abilities" there were a lot of fun things back in the early days.

Server lag for the "resource" computer allowed players to load up their main pack with thousands of units of gathering, but none appeared in the pack. It was a fun race to second guess the game server when it would "catch up" with you and ground you with the inventory overload. Some players that got grounded became "movable silos" for other guild members to come and trade with for raw materials, or if you got grounded next to a machine, you could reap the benefits yourself.

When dryads were introduced as a playable race, The excite emote made the dryad stretch in unbelievable ways, (including certain female body parts) due to the fact the "dragon" emote was accidentally used for dryads. It was a site to see.

Hatchies could not fly, there was no ROP yet. It started at level 50, and is somewhat different today than it was back then. It is a lot easier to get to the ROP quest areas now, and not tromp through level 100+ blighted creatures.

Tier 4 nodes was it... there was no tier 5 or tier 6 until later. There were Steel golems, they disappeared for a while, then recently reappeared.

Housing was in-game, but no one could buy plots yet. They were auctioned off.

Have fun adding to this list!
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Default Re: Post your memories of classic "Horizons" or "Istaria" goofs, errors, etc.

When the satyr race was freed, you needed to destroy the machines on each island. It was discovered that by sitting on the structure around one the machines (I forget which) that dragons could fire off Prime Bolt and nothing could touch them. There were several dozen dragons perched on the structure bombarding the machine for hours until it died.

Similar vein, there was a short time that dragons were able to use spells while flying (there are even casting animations).

Occasionally you could die on the server but the client didn't realize you were dead. That let you go anywhere in the world you wanted to without restriction. I flew all the way down to 0,0 on the map and found myself in The Forbidden Zone and had a lot of fun exploring it. Now I know it well because my Blight hatchie lives there. Stop by and visit my clock and banner at 500,50 sometime.

Falling through terrain. Happened occasionally. Would find yourself in a white void with nothing by sky above and the only way out was to recall.

Where the entrance to Dralnok's Doom is at now, there used to be a deep pit that would trap any player that fell into it. I almost felt bad cutting that bit of terrain out when I placed the entrance model for the Doom there.

The original chicken invasion.

Default Re: Post your memories of classic "Horizons" or "Istaria" goofs, errors, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    The original chicken invasion.
    I wish to be enlightened on this invasion

At first dragons could scribe and make ped armor and weapons.
    Even though I lost my Alpha & Beta Dragons, I still have bronze tools scribed on this one.
    Will have to make some again for a yuck.
    100 / 100 / 100 / 100 Lunus
    "Mythclaws" Saris

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    I wish to be enlightened on this invasion
    One fine day in Bristugo, a chicken appeared. Then another. Then several more. Soon there were lots and lots of chickens running around. Word spread and curious players came to see. Pretty soon there were lots of chickens and lots of players. Then all he!! broke loose. Full scale invasion with lots of baddies and quickly lots of dead players. It was quite the battle and many death points were earned that day. Which wasn't so fine a day in Bristugo any longer.

Fun stuff

Let's see. January 2004, helping my guild build the bridge to Lerena on Twilight shard. Cargo disks were invisible, so we all dragged disks full of materials needed to build the bridge, and parked them there. We even had 2 cargo disk mount points, I think the second was for the grounded disk. Anyway we finished the bridge in secret, 1am on a late saturday night, ran across to buy up the plots in Lerena. But since someone on another shard had cheated and got to the island and had bought plots, all were set to unavailable for purchase, but it submitted a petition or something. But they did get all the plots, and made news as the first shard to build a world structure.

All the Satyr island hunts on Twilight went on for hours, most of them we split into 2 different nights. But one we did straight thru, took like 6 hours, with at least 2 groups of 10.

As a hatchy I loved new vassarakk, played there until about level 15.

The guildmaster had the plot above Parsinia, I remember going to guild meetings there.

Dennison jadefellow accepted IBM's for exp, did that soo many times.

We did the Imperial Taskmaster quests "kill 30 wraiths" and ran loops around western deadlands over and over. Was always a group going, all you had to do was go out there and they would invite you in. Once you got to thirty, you recalled out, turned in quest, got it again, and ran back out from Dryart. Did that over 500 times..

Did Rop many times, loved that the rop mobs were in eastern deadlands. That was always a fun run.

Almost forgot... the "animation" for this website's avatar for me, is when the update / patch failed to change the "distance" resolution of the characters when you got close to them. This made for humorous animations and weird looking bodies when viewing others up close, thus the breathing animation for the Saris made me look like I went from 6 pack ABS to Pregnant and back.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    Having been a beta tester back in the day, and being able to "cast spells" as a mage with a dragon before it was revamped to "dragon only" and "dragon abilities" there were a lot of fun things back in the early days.

Server lag for the "resource" computer allowed players to load up their main pack with thousands of units of gathering, but none appeared in the pack. It was a fun race to second guess the game server when it would "catch up" with you and ground you with the inventory overload. Some players that got grounded became "movable silos" for other guild members to come and trade with for raw materials, or if you got grounded next to a machine, you could reap the benefits yourself.

When dryads were introduced as a playable race, The excite emote made the dryad stretch in unbelievable ways, (including certain female body parts) due to the fact the "dragon" emote was accidentally used for dryads. It was a site to see.

Hatchies could not fly, there was no ROP yet. It started at level 50, and is somewhat different today than it was back then. It is a lot easier to get to the ROP quest areas now, and not tromp through level 100+ blighted creatures.

Tier 4 nodes was it... there was no tier 5 or tier 6 until later. There were Steel golems, they disappeared for a while, then recently reappeared.

Housing was in-game, but no one could buy plots yet. They were auctioned off.

Have fun adding to this list!
    Having to Glide from the tower to the very Depths and bowels of Western deadlands BLIND And land on a structure or it would be instant death.. XD
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

European ICE server day #0

ROP used to be way more challenging and fun. Some Lunus like me wanted to try solo as much of it as possible, I created so many potions and gear to survive the WD and ED, where Marrows would really kill me fast. This is my ascension with my friends, this was on the first day(s) after ROP got released and then bugfixed (bug with lava pool not triggering event).

Speaking about Marrows: at a certain point the servers were bugged and would spawn dozens of them at a time!
    The rendering engine would be unable to draw them instantly so it was easy to literally find yourself suddenly surrounded!
    Did not help the fact dragons could not have ethereal armor

First time we had an event where the moon took this shape, I forgot the name.

It had been totally rare to see someone with a shoulder pet on an European server. Here is my biped... many, many years ago.

Only close to day zero players may recall those names. At the time, Horizons was so new and uncharted... full of mystery and epic experiences to be found!

Here's the first AROP ever completed, perhaps the best epic quest I have ever done in my life in a "graphic" game (I did a quest in a MUD text game that took **** 3 real life years to do ****, that one can't ever be matched).

I have so many more ancient pictures... but I don't want to bother people too much with my stuff. They are an elder dragon's memories of a long gone, incredible, epic, unrepeatable past.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Right behind you when you're not looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    Falling through terrain. Happened occasionally. Would find yourself in a white void with nothing by sky above and the only way out was to recall.
    Still happens now xD just run/fly fast enough with view distance near 0 and you'll run faster than the ground loads.
    Recalling out or having the patience to wait for it to load fixes it xD
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

psychodelic_by_reagleflamespray.jpg

Disco dragon texture glitch

My dragon druid in beta was pretty fun... and a bit overpowered

My best memory was building the satyr mines shortly after release. So many people working together for a common goal. Was such a wonderful time.

I still remember the days when the Storm Wisps were in Aubandrine, was the best place to solo mob/exp since they barely hit, if even.

My funniest memories come from the ROP like many mantioned before, when you had to run trough the swamps, by the abominations and Fyakkis to Draak, untill that bridge was made across the ocean to get there. Frankly I'd love to have the old ROP back, was a lot of fun just because of that part.

There used to be also a bug at NT that you went to a wolf/any creature basicaly/ and you hit it only once and stood there for a while untill the wolf stopped attacking you. Then it would follow you all the time like a pet, untill some funruiner came and killed it. Of course everyone chose the boss wolf to follow you around. I want my poochy pet back :<

The Garnet golem at NT was a pain too, you had to come by it sometimes it even walked up the mountain and killed you since it was a very strong adversary for a hatchie or newbie. Saddly its gone too.

Now that I remember, I think at one of the new trainning isles, maybe it was New Vasaraak, the fairgrounds at halloween event. There used to be way more mobs, they changed in lvl as deep as you went in, leaving the last mobs with around 90/100 level, and they gave exp at that time. It used to be soo crowded, people leveled there to 100 so fast from like 50 or less since they didnt hit that strong being mostly skilless. It made the game leveling so broke for like a month till it was fixed. I'm sad for the people who used that to lvl up, they missed so mutch fun doing it the normal way like everyone else did.

Oh the days when everyone was in NT RPing, there was tons of people gathered around, roofs full, ground barely free for hatchies to run around with the adults and ancients telling tales. And in the middle of the best part... Pratt comes with his dialogue.. It was SOOOOOO annoying, everyoe shouting PRATT SHUT THE F*** UP!! It gave me giggles every time, if not a rage attack. It really was timed poorly to be repeating too mutch times in the pass of a few minutes, good it was modified a bit. We just saw a wild Pratt moving and we all rolled eyes knowing that, here it comes!! Stop typing or you'll get interupted!

Or when the first time the NPCs started to move/talk, beside the ones at NT, even Ulaven the Mage at NT didnt use to move, he was the first one after Pratt, you went to get a quest from him and he moved, I literaly freaked out. Oh come on, when you see for YEARS NPCs not moving at all, and all of the sudden it moves, you sh** your pants. At least I did. Same goes with Karane the Historian at his hill. I was once going with a buddy to check if we could get the ROP quests at last, and it talked.. I was so creeped out, we literaly sat there thinking that it was some sort of DEV being inside the NPC talking to us. We were so stupid, haha but best days of my life.
    Last edited by Shazo; June 8th, 2016 at 03:59 PM.

Ahh memories for me i have a lot of great memories from horizons played beta and was in on day 1.

We chose blight well because the game had some issues but we loved the idea and we wanted to help fix it. Didnt like the leadership at the time but im not gonna go down that road thats for another discussion.
    I remember the first time i read about it i cant remember now what all they wanted to stuff in the game loads of playable races such as vampires huge world playable dragons soo much more it was ambitious to say the least.

Then one leader was ousted and another come along and it changed but i remember you were supposed to be able to push back the blight and rebuild tunnels and towns in real time and to our dismay after working on the tunnel outside of aug (loc could be wrong its been years) it took server resets to open them and trust me after running almost all the blighted areas and cleaning house we never could figure out how to push back the blight sure the hell was fun trying though.

I loved the world i remember the first time i killed a ruxus (probly misspelled forgive me) and watching the squirrel come out of it mouth while fighting it i thought i was losing it had to ask my brother if i was trippin or what he said nope that was a freakin squirrel then promtly had the guild come out to see it for themselves had alotta fun that day.
    I remember i got the game preorder and i got the strat guide still have them both on the shelf starring at them now but i remember you could get castle plots and went out in the world and found them but ya couldnt purchase them some bug or something that kinda took the wind out of my sails.

I am an explorer so much so on blight there was a common term most knew at the time it was BWT Barg world tour my characters name was Bargluf and I would explore every place i could I was in search of dungeons the mythical Hermit mage and various other things that were supposed to lay around the world that I never found not for lack of trying i died alot and my friends died alot but no one cared we were having fun i guess thats what I miss the most perfect strangers outside of the game but we came together and just enjoyed it and had fun i can tell you of bad times i have had in the alphabet soup of mmos all of them and when it stopped being fun but horizons was different i never had 1 bad moment it was always fun.
    Hated you could not swim i mean that absolutely drove me crazy never understood it and the second thing was no dungeons i talked to a dev on blight and there were some issues with the engine is what i was told but they were coming and after months nothing.

As much as i loved it there was another beast lurking on the horizon at the time world of warcraft alot of people left i had less and less people i knew everyday i logged on they just vanished and so did i.
    I wanted it to turn around I wanted to continue having fun some of the best friendships i have made in a game Domtar and Sarrex and many other unfortunately i have forgot but had a blast i jump on now and again to see how istaria is doing. Today im on chaos Serrebys Everdawn if anyone wants to say hi.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Long ago back on Ice,
    The Iron golems became bugged and all followed the same path.
    Looked like a Golem conga line party :')

I couldn't bring myself to destroy them, they looked like they were having too much fun.

Good stuff! Some of those things I remember... Spawning lots of invasions to attack the tunnels. That one was fun! Or absolutely destroying Harro during the final days leading up to the merge. I think I did that on Shadow or maybe Twilight.

Not an in-game thing, but we once had a reported bug about a quest.. I want to say it was a wishgiver one that gave +dex or something. We went and looked at the reported character and realized that the player had completed it over 2,000 times! It was only supposed to be able to be completed once or something. Bit of a shocker.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Good stuff! Some of those things I remember... Spawning lots of invasions to attack the tunnels. That one was fun! Or absolutely destroying Harro during the final days leading up to the merge. I think I did that on Shadow or maybe Twilight.

Not an in-game thing, but we once had a reported bug about a quest.. I want to say it was a wishgiver one that gave +dex or something. We went and looked at the reported character and realized that the player had completed it over 2,000 times! It was only supposed to be able to be completed once or something. Bit of a shocker.
    Harro's desctruction is in this gallery. Twilights destruction first night. Also a funny naked linedance we tried to do. A couple of times we got the timing right
    http://www.goodboy.mygamesite.net/ho...-twilight.html

Second night: http://www.goodboy.mygamesite.net/ho...ight-day2.html Aughundell, Tazoon among others.

And some more memories: (from http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...l=1#post111652 )
    Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Well let me see: I remember...

Watching as the last unit was placed on the lerena bridge... running across.. and Lack, one of my guildmates (who placed the last unit) was first to begin running across... but for a second the bridge blinked out of existence and then back, and he fell into the water and proceeded to drown.

the plots being bugged in Lerena, so we couldn't purchase them. It sent a "petition" to the empire, that had to be approved (thanks to people bying them up ahead of time previously).

the wounded expeditions, one west of the floating city, one east of Rachival. I still have a few pages of the reseachers journal.

The first time I saw the Avatar of pain (level 100, 5000 some odd hp), roaming in the east blight, with at least 7 marrows in tow. Knowing full well he'd likely kill me, but casting snarl on him anyway... it never even completed before 5 or 6 simultaneouswhirlwind attacks obliterated me. (level 20's hatchie)

ferrying resources to the morning light mine(The Tunnel to Satyr island teleporter). Was before RoP was in. This was dragging a disk, on foot, from Morning Light all the way west then north then back east, past the Tower of Magery, to the tunnel construction site, that was under pretty constant attack from WA. I was probably level 30's or 40's hatchy.

killing granite golems among the bone dunes south of tazoon. Watching out for the ghostly keepers.

running around on the satyr islands as a lvl 60's hatchie, gathering ore and slabs to make talismans and scales.

when Palsy, Discord, Inhibition, Famine were the bigger wraith masters... when one spawned someone yelling out "Daddy pop!" and the crazy frantic killing of it.

doing 8 to 10 damage per swing against the machines, and that was pretty good

each of the satyr machine's being destroyed. I remember them changing Group Ethereal Blade to be one attack only, and how that slowed down the last couple machines' destruction.

Watching as the last unit was placed on the rainbow bridge.

Pulling Umgruk all the way to augundell east gates, so the guards could help kill him, and so that his little adds (bloodsnout gruoks)had a loong run after they repawned to rejoin the fight. Back then the adds respawned where Umgruk spawned, south side of the road just to the east of what is now blackahmmer farm.

performing the ceremony of Aubradine, so the dryads would be freed (Twilight) My biped never did get that custom title "Envoy of Abradrine" that Gale, the community liaison, was giving out.

when champagne had bubbles. Bubbles were some nasty agressive wisps that spawned with Champagne, the named elemental alcohol golem in the Bitter Pickle. We used to have to hunt bottle caps there to do the Shining Blades quest, had to complete a collection of bottle caps and turn it in to Joggler Simms in Aughundell before he would offer the quest. It was a task.

hours and hours of mining obsidian slabs east of the reanimated fortress, recalling to dikaina, making brick and spellshards, to level dragon crafter on t4 spells (all the way to 100, using t4 scales with t3 craft techs)

Twilights final hours..
    Last edited by Guaran; August 23rd, 2016 at 02:47 PM.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post

Ahh, The Wishgiver in Tazoon.
    I did that quest soooo many times, apart from the reward bag that gave random items the quest also gave a fair amount of XP and was widely used by everyone that was Multi-skilling as Doom did not exist back then and the only other way was Trophies

It depends which server board I think is which.

Dang. Looking at Guaran's pictures makes me really wish I wasn't 6 when this game came out. :P

Be sure to check out Day 2 pics. Selen, Dikaina, Aughundell, Tazoon... all messed up and destroyed. Player plots all destroyed.

Soo many old friends' names in the chats too that are long gone.

Thread Information