Thread: Talk to the Team: Target Window

Default Talk to the Team: Target Window

Many MMOs tailor the Target window based upon the type of the target (player, monster, etc) and the difficulty of the monster. Istaria cannot totally do this because the target window is sizable, but one thing we've discussed is the possibility of colorizing the border or background.

What do you think of this? What entities and colors would you think would be good if this were done?

Player = Dark Blue
    Friendly NPC = Light Blue
    Machine = Light Brown
    Structure = Silver
    Resource Node = Green
    Furniture = Dark Brown
    Monster (by keyword):
    * Minion = Yellow
    * Normal = Red
    * Named = Silver
    * Boss = Gold

Just some thoughts. What are yours?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Target Window

Interesting idea, I quite like it. My only fear is that it'd look a little.. gaudy, I suppose.

I threw some concepts together. This is gold as a background:

Red as a background:

Blue as a background (player blue):

Though it'd be neat if changing colors of names of targets was possible:

I much prefer color coding target window borders rather than backgrounds. Target windows are very readable with white text and black background. Some combinations of text color and background color may present challenges to more than a few players.

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    I much prefer color coding target window borders rather than backgrounds. Target windows are very readable with white text and black background. Some combinations of text color and background color may present challenges to more than a few players.
    Agree here!

Having background introduces trippy-ness with colours.

Plus it looks a lil..."gaudy" as rack puts it (*cough* awful *cough) - unless very weak colours are used and the window has shading throughout the window (compass with non-normal UI design is the closest i can think of off the top of my head to this) (one block of colour, i think most will agree...looks terrible :D) ...but that gives complications with transparency.
    Alternatively you could make the window semi-transparent by default to make it look better, but that would make the default UI look kinda weird as it would be out of line with all other windows.

So easier just to have it as a border, imo.

Well... this is one of those things that I'll probably never notice regardless of what's done unless the opaque backgrounds are pushed through to change my target window from 100% transparent XD

Colored text or colored borders are probably the best way to go with that so it's not so gaudy... but then if I hadn't seen this, I probably wouldn't have ever noticed the change when it went through.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

If this goes in I would prefer the color on border. I tend to use transparency on my windows from a little to a lot depending on which character I have logged in.

Please no on colored text. I don't hang out much with the people who love their colored chat fonts but half the time I can't read them as it blends into background or is so eye searing I don't even try to read it.

I also use the ray of light selection indicator which already color codes target types. Be nice if the two were somewhat consistent.

I would prefer the colour on the border. I do like my windows as transparent as possible, and I can see from the pictures provided that the solid colour windows is going to be a problem for me to read without starting a migraine. Just to bring this up, solid colour windows or just coloured text could also be problematic for those with colour blindness or colour sensititvity issues.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

It depends which server board I think is which.

I wonder if gradients would be possible...

Gives a splash of color and leaves the white-against-black text.

My only issue with borders is that they're quite literally 1 pixel wide and I highly doubt I'd notice any change in color in'em. My target window is 100% transparent all the time so I wouldn't even notice a background color change, but I highly doubt I'd notice a border color change unless it was a thicker border, too.

That seems like a good compromise - The gradient is in an out of the way location within the window and as such should not interfere with colourblindnes.

One question however would be that is will the engine support drawing changing gradients on the target window?

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    I wonder if gradients would be possible...

Gives a splash of color and leaves the white-against-black text.

My only issue with borders is that they're quite literally 1 pixel wide and I highly doubt I'd notice any change in color in'em. My target window is 100% transparent all the time so I wouldn't even notice a background color change, but I highly doubt I'd notice a border color change unless it was a thicker border, too.
    I like this. Since all the windows are individually customizable in their transparency, players could change the windows transparency to be able to see this, or leave theirs fully transparent if they don't like it. Also, the transparency setting could only affect the top black half of the gradient. Perhaps also add a checkbox for "Show target difficulty colors" to that windows' properties. So that it could be turned off if desired.

Colored text can be hard to read, and blends into some backgrounds, such as red would in fiery rift, isle of fire. This would also apply to the border.

For the colors, i'd use:
    minions, normal: red
    named: purple
    boss: orange

Thread Information