Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Dragon Spells

Default More Dragon Spells

Well, since there is a bit more assistance into Helian faction build since of the T6 caster aimed scales, I was asking myself why couldn't there be more spells implemented for dragons?

I know dragons aren't meant to be like mages of sort, but they use magic regularly, they have some buffs and stuff. But beside Barrage, Tempest, Gust and Blast and the 3 repeating bolts, there's really not mutch a dragon can do. It would be really nice if there would be some more spells to use, even if to do just damage. I'm not asking for like 50 more spells, but even 2 or 3 would do lots of difference.

Default Re: More Dragon Spells

I second this. My helian Reagle was built to be mostly a spell caster, but with the lack of good dragon spells, he finds himself relying on malee more then he wishes.

I kinda think you've over-simplified it a touch.

Dragons have:
    (limited) Gifts, where scrolls (or peds) can help fill in the rest;
    a rather extensive range of buffs, including damage conversion (Primal attack);
    primal mob debuffs;
    three AoE's as you'd mentioned;
    standard Repeater (plus Drain Bolt) which you'd also mentioned;
    AoE HoT's and single-target Heal;
    Epic spell.

Given dragons are Melee-hybrid, plus the vast array of abilities not mentioned, we have almost every type of spell covered.

However, if we're going to try make a case for a new Dragon spell, it seems the only thing missing is a Single-target High-DPS spell, something akin to "Firey (Primal) Strike".
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Have in mind that if there are melee dragons which relay mostly on basic attacks and physical dmg skills, and the fact there exsist a caster/magical side being helians which relay on primal/power which means basicaly, spells, and the fact there are only 4 skills with kinda high cd to be used repeatly, they have no other choice than to keep smashing with either prime bolt, improved prime bolt or drain bolt. Which is not really the most varied thing in the world if you compare to the magical biped classes.

The reason of bipedes having exclusively magical oriented classes and dragons being one single class, doesn't delete the fact dragons use spells too. So the excuse of them not being able to use variety of spells if any, is ilogical. Beside them being the first race and the leading one only seals the fact they can or should be able to use a larger variety of magical skills. I'm not trying to say that dragons should be able to use the same nature oriented bipedal spells but to give them more of their own, maybe more fire or primal oriented ones.

We see Helian have using blue fire for their cities and machines, why not improvise something with that for example?

I'm just trying to say that dragons have rights to use a larger variety of skills for helians/casters than they actualy have which is only blast 4 aoes, wait for them to cool down while you keep casting the same bolt over an over. In the meantime a biped mage for instance has like a full hotkeybar of different spells, be it rooting, stunning, bleeding, weakening, etc. Yes, dragons have like 9-10 actual dmg/fight oriented spells, but bipeds have like 20 if not more, which is just unfair for the dragon casters.

TBH I think the only spells that would need to be added in for dragons are:
    • At least one more combat-oriented gift spell so when you have five gift slots, you don't only have the four combat ones plus velocity
    • Something that gives high damage to a single target with a cooldown similar to something like Silver Strike or Ravage (essentially to give pure casters a quick boost of damage)
    • Possibly some damage-converters so our choice of damage isn't between only slash and primal (though crystalshaper crystals probably fill this need well enough, newer players would definitely benefit from something in this area... even if it only goes up to t3 or so)

That's all I would add IF anything gets added at all. When I play my caster, I'm more than happy to sit back and drain bolt my way through most things; if I'm in a large swarm of mobs then spiked scales in addition to using the AoE spells is a HUGE boost to damage since the skill to use spiked scales is primal; if I need a sudden burst of damage then primal casting BoFB, Volcano, or Drulkar's Wrath (for when flame damage does nothing) is a very viable AoE burst; and if it's a single target I'm having trouble with then my panic button is GR still even though there's nothing invested in strength or tooth and claw- that gives a reliable 1500 damage in a pinch at the very least.

On the note of bipeds having a larger variety, your comparison of biped versus dragon spellcasting doesn't do the issue justice. Most biped spells are NOT high damage and not a single one of them comes close to the DPS you get with drain bolt X. And then the magic type(s) you've invested TP into might not be very effective or do NO damage at all to certain mobs (automatons and golems are immune to spirit damage, nature damage does nothing to the carrion crawlers in Doom, flame mobs resist flame damage, ice mobs resist ice damage, etc.) Bipeds do get their power from having zillions of buttons to push, but dragons get theirs from their inherent high damage output.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    On the note of bipeds having a larger variety, your comparison of biped versus dragon spellcasting doesn't do the issue justice. Most biped spells are NOT high damage and not a single one of them comes close to the DPS you get with drain bolt X.
    As much as I'd love more dragon spells to make caster combat something other than brain-cell-killingly boring, we come across this issue.

Drain bolt is an incredibly op spell, even caster tanks take few casts of drain bolt to kill the mjaority of things, and if dragons get more spells i'd want drain bolt nerfed tbh.

I'm in support of more dragon spells, yea, but only if it comes with weakened drain bolt.

TBH I think the only spells that would need to be added in for dragons are:
    [LIST][*] At least one more combat-oriented gift spell so when you have five gift slots, you don't only have the four combat ones plus velocity
    If we are adding buffs, please add a CD reduction buff like alacrity.

We already have primal alaricity though 0.o

But that modifies only the attack/casting delay doesn't it? I don't think it modifies the cd of abilities in any way, not that I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazo View Post
    If we are adding buffs, please add a CD reduction buff like alacrity.
    *snip*
    But that modifies only the attack/casting delay doesn't it? I don't think it modifies the cd of abilities in any way, not that I've noticed.
    Primal Alacrity is an almost direct copy of the ped-spell Gift of Alacrity, neither decrease cooldown/recycle, they both modify delay.

There is no spell that reduces cooldown/recycle that I'm aware of. Only Wizards have a masterable ability, Acceleration, that reduces spell-recycle by 10%.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

...The reason of bipedes having exclusively magical oriented classes and dragons being one single class, doesn't delete the fact dragons use spells too. So the excuse of them not being able to use variety of spells if any, is ilogical...
    What Hallucin8 was saying is that there is already a variety of spells. I would even add all the various dragon breaths to that list. There are plenty.

I'm just trying to say that dragons have rights to use a larger variety of skills for helians/casters ...
    Helian is a political faction. You do not have to be a spellcaster if you are Helian faction, and those of the Lunus faction can be spellcasters if they choose.

• Something that gives high damage to a single target with a cooldown similar to something like Silver Strike or Ravage (essentially to give pure casters a quick boost of damage)
    Gold Burst. That's all that needs put in. Copy the new stats for GR over to it including the hoard costs.

Possibly some damage-converters so our choice of damage isn't between only slash and primal (though crystalshaper crystals probably fill this need well enough, newer players would definitely benefit from something in this area... even if it only goes up to t3 or so)
    No need. As you said crystals give us plenty of conversion options. And at low levels, the larger variations of damage types needed at high tiers don't really apply. You can get by without even primal attack at lower levels.

What Dragon spells really need are some spell effects.. That would make it more interesting and engaging.

Also if there was a possibility to make Drain bolt be able to be teched/crafted from I not only IX and X would be neat.

It would be nice to see some new spells like these below.
    1) AoE Vapor or Mist DoT spell centered around self
    2) A T-1/T-6 root/slow type spell
    3) Higher powered healing spell
    100 / 100 / 100 / 100 Lunus
    "Mythclaws" Saris

Improved primal health?
    1) drak-id like to see area dot-cloud or mist- that when cast on current target does x damage and less damage on targets companions (if possible)
    Example:
    a poisonous cloud is concentrated on a single enemy. enemies within range of that cloud take damage.
    the one you casted it on takes 9 damage,others 7. random numbers to give idea.
    Last edited by Tilithia; July 28th, 2016 at 08:15 PM.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Also if there was a possibility to make Drain bolt be able to be teched/crafted from I not only IX and X would be neat.
    The drain bolt form originally DID allow you to craft I-X but since the products were attuned, but there wasn't any reason to have I-VIII on the form at all since the quest to get the drain bolt form requires that you have already finished the drain bolt X quest so you would already have I-X scribed even if they were un-teched at that point, IX was left on the form since X requires t6 materials to craft and not everyone has the patience to grind out the forms for those. When the drain bolt form was brand new, there was a discussion somewhere that asked for the products to not be attuned but then that would defeat the purpose of the drain bolt quests if you could just hand them out like candy.

Still you get the form in the end, but the made one progresively. Unless you are enough lvl to use the Drain Bolt X and finish the quest, you have no other way of teching it if youre lets say lvl 40 or 50. I recomend giving the formula to make teched ones progresively aswell, like, the T1-T2 at the 2nd quest and so on, so you can actualy make them teched.

I sign Guaran`s post, though the Gold Burst..well- my caster does not need.

My heals are good enough to heal group members and myself. Esp. the new ally gives additional heal and recycles fast.

I do not consider caster combat boring- imho its more fun than melee-I still have claws and tooth and breathes (which are MIGHTY if your drag is correctly tuned) to have more than enough variety.

What I really WANT is
    a conterpart to Shield of Gold,
    an ability/buff that protects from or decreases incomig hostile magic attacs.
    No matter what the price for that would be: High hoard cost/long questline /shared timer- whatever the devs consider appropriate.
    All what is already ingame is insufficiant in my eyes.

A dragon-fear as a bolt would be nice-to- have:
    Caster are not heavily armored most of the time-
    and most of the mobs you have to hug first, to be close enough to cast dragon fear^^
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    a conterpart to Shield of Gold,
    an ability/buff that protects from or decreases incomig hostile magic attacs.....

A dragon-fear as a bolt would be nice-to- have:
    Shield of Gold protects against both spell and melee damage as it is, as far as i know, at least i've never seen it be ineffective versus spells, but anyone with more knowledge can correct me there.

As for dragon fear bolt, we alreayd have Ferocious Roar (previously dragon fear). It has a range of 20 and while i personally think this is enough distance i can see the need for greater range...but a whole new ability would be pointless, imo, if it would be exaclty the same but with 30 range. So rather, that would be a change to the current Ferocious Roar to have more range.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakarius Shadows View Post
    It would be nice to see some new spells like these below.
    1) AoE Vapor or Mist DoT spell centered around self
    This sounds interesting, and has been batted around before. One idea was to make an epic technique, drag to apply, crafted from myloc essence, applies to headscale, that would do aoe spirit damage. Some kind of effect that would be similiar to the Myloc queens aoe spirit attack. Or an epic crafted drag to apply tech that gives you a chance to land vampire bats. Both are spell-like, but the bats one just felt redundant (since its on the bloodstaff)

Of course it doesn't need to be a tech, could be a crafted epic item similiar to the ally plaque that lets you buy the ability.

While not directly a spell, it is somewhat spell-like. If I remember correctly, it would just be on all the time. This idea wasn't ever really fleshed out much more than this. But maybe a purple mist that does spirit damage every 5 seconds, lasts 60 seconds and then dissipates. Would align with your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakarius Shadows View Post
    3) Higher powered healing spell
    We actually already have this now with the Virrak pet. Aoe healing breath that heals for around 700 per player.
    Last edited by Guaran; July 29th, 2016 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    This sounds interesting, and has been batted around before. One idea was to make an epic technique, drag to apply, crafted from myloc essence, applies to headscale, that would do aoe spirit damage. Some kind of effect that would be similiar to the Myloc queens aoe spirit attack. Or an epic crafted drag to apply tech that gives you a chance to land vampire bats. Both are spell-like, but the bats one just felt redundant (since its on the bloodstaff)

Of course it doesn't need to be a tech, could be a crafted epic item similiar to the ally plaque that lets you buy the ability.

While not directly a spell, it is somewhat spell-like. If I remember correctly, it would just be on all the time. This idea wasn't ever really fleshed out much more than this. But maybe a purple mist that does spirit damage every 5 seconds, lasts 60 seconds and then dissipates. Would align with your idea.

We actually already have this now with the Virrak pet. Aoe healing breath that heals for around 700 per player.
    a pet that Requires alot to do to Aquire.. Were talking Like Healing with a spell XD that you can craft.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Thread Information