Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk to the Team: Daily/Weekly Login Bonus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Daily/Weekly Login Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    How about epic items? tokens, components for making ally plaques e.g. cords, bars, ect...
    Demon, blood, and so on essence, and maybe if you log in consecutively for a year (365 days) you have the chance to win a core for the ally plaque. This will only apply to those who have a level 100 ADV school character on their account.

Other items possibly obsolete items? I know several players who are looking for things that are no longer readily available in game. maybe a chance to receive any random obsolete item. This would include old spell forms that are no longer in game (sold or looted)

I`m sure I`ll think of more ideas later, but that`s all I got for now XD
    Well, I will say this... I would HAPPILY invest/buy a "legacy" collectors edition that offered ALL missed items over the last years AND gave me an alpha/beta seat for the Unreal test and launch cycle.

Yes, that would probably ROYALLY anger some players but, you know what? This game needs help/money and if they can't make attractive offers for returning and new players to incent/invite attention, they may as well close up now. (IOW - I'd rather see them become relevant again than limp along until someone at the company in a corner office decides it's just not worth it anymore.)

I can see this game being VERY relevant VERY quickly with just a few, light tweaks to make it more competitive on play and mechanics and, of course, a full and true migration to Unreal:

- dramatically reduce travel time and increase carry weight/run speed so players can travel and be social across regions

- deliver an open-source (ZenCart, etc) market for players to purchase VANITY items, collectibles, and limited duration buffs, XP boosters, storage boosters (yes, remove the cash sieve quests on the vaults), etc

- create and implement titles for pretty much all combinations of completionist tasks (geographical, crafting, social, grouping, etc)

- create titles and/or incremental rewards for players who contribute to public structures, settlement/guild structures, etc.

- sprinkle in new ancient and elder ped quests to give veteran players reason to return to new player towns (granted, community is still aces here and this isn't an issue now... but it would be if populations rose again)

- consider planning for player-made content (templating of assets, etc) and, if the community leaps on it, expand to incorporate a player in-game merchantile system... traveling merchants? hidden merchants? seasonal merchants? ALL THE MERCHANTS!! (grin)

- get a kickstarter together to explain the road to Unreal. figure out what you need to REALLY DO IT RIGHT and do not be conservative (seriously, pad by 15-25%). market the heck out of it. ask current players to do the same. OVERBOOK that ********. having more people than your hardware can support on launch day is NOT a bad thing.... even as players will scream bloody murder.

- scrub the old database and see if you can get an email campaign running. ditto twitter, reddit, pinterest, and facebook.

- consider hiring a product manager (not a producer, not a project manager, a PRODUCT manager) to help you navigate and keep things moving along smoothly.

Happy to talk or do something more formal should any folk at Virtrium be interested (this is kind of what I do for a living, but not in the gaming industry... but I'd pure love to, so, yeah.... call me. :) )
    Bherel Auphun (Chaos - main)
    Roasted Sumatra (Chaos)

Sassi Quickwing (Blight)
    [Beryl, house of the Kindred Spirits, Dawn Server, R.I.P.]

Quote Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
    Well, I will say this... I would HAPPILY invest/buy a "legacy" collectors edition that offered ALL missed items over the last years AND gave me an alpha/beta seat for the Unreal test and launch cycle.

Yes, that would probably ROYALLY anger some players but, you know what? This game needs help/money and if they can't make attractive offers for returning and new players to incent/invite attention, they may as well close up now. (IOW - I'd rather see them become relevant again than limp along until someone at the company in a corner office decides it's just not worth it anymore.)

I can see this game being VERY relevant VERY quickly with just a few, light tweaks to make it more competitive on play and mechanics and, of course, a full and true migration to Unreal:

- dramatically reduce travel time and increase carry weight/run speed so players can travel and be social across regions

- deliver an open-source (ZenCart, etc) market for players to purchase VANITY items, collectibles, and limited duration buffs, XP boosters, storage boosters (yes, remove the cash sieve quests on the vaults), etc

- create and implement titles for pretty much all combinations of completionist tasks (geographical, crafting, social, grouping, etc)

- create titles and/or incremental rewards for players who contribute to public structures, settlement/guild structures, etc.

- sprinkle in new ancient and elder ped quests to give veteran players reason to return to new player towns (granted, community is still aces here and this isn't an issue now... but it would be if populations rose again)

- consider planning for player-made content (templating of assets, etc) and, if the community leaps on it, expand to incorporate a player in-game merchantile system... traveling merchants? hidden merchants? seasonal merchants? ALL THE MERCHANTS!! (grin)

- get a kickstarter together to explain the road to Unreal. figure out what you need to REALLY DO IT RIGHT and do not be conservative (seriously, pad by 15-25%). market the heck out of it. ask current players to do the same. OVERBOOK that ********. having more people than your hardware can support on launch day is NOT a bad thing.... even as players will scream bloody murder.

- scrub the old database and see if you can get an email campaign running. ditto twitter, reddit, pinterest, and facebook.

- consider hiring a product manager (not a producer, not a project manager, a PRODUCT manager) to help you navigate and keep things moving along smoothly.

Happy to talk or do something more formal should any folk at Virtrium be interested (this is kind of what I do for a living, but not in the gaming industry... but I'd pure love to, so, yeah.... call me. :) )

It is a reeeeally really nice idear. But the team is so small. They will need alot of help and/or even hire new people resulting in more needed money this is a circle of death. *grumbles* I would love to help but all i can do is throwing out videos on youtube at the moment :/

"If being of fire means blind arrogance and the elevation of violence above reason, then let me be of water!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pryzm View Post
    It is a reeeeally really nice idear. But the team is so small. They will need alot of help and/or even hire new people resulting in more needed money this is a circle of death. *grumbles* I would love to help but all i can do is throwing out videos on youtube at the moment :/
    Kickstarter. Funding. Not a circle of death, a legitimate chance for a new beginning.

The company I have in mind would likely wet themselves to get hold of this property, particularly now that they've had two successful movies, two successful TV shows, and a slew of merchandising to prove what we already know: Dragons never go out of style. :)

Here's the thing... this game has an advantage that other indie games do not - it already HAS a functional game (albeit an OLD one).

So I say put that to use! Make the OLD game accessible for backers to play with certain "buffs" (to offset the old school grind) while using their money to get the staff and assets and money needed to finish out the Unreal migration.

There's got to be someone on this forum other than me who has marketing/promotional experience. I'd be willing to stream as well as network (and I actually know a few people here and there, so can help with introductions as well as whatever else).

All that said, I think the biggest hurdle for the community (and the company??) is simply allowing themselves to have "that belief" like we all did the first time we heard about this game.

There's a reason this game has lasted 12 (nearly 13!!) years.

It's the same reason that I know it can be the game it always should have been... the game we wanted.

All players need to do is wait for the official hype machine to whistle and then...? Hype city, people. Hype city. ;)
    Roasted Sumatra (Chaos)

Sassi Quickwing (Blight)

Quote Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
    Kickstarter. Funding. Not a circle of death, a legitimate chance for a new beginning.

The company I have in mind would likely wet themselves to get hold of this property, particularly now that they've had two successful movies, two successful TV shows, and a slew of merchandising to prove what we already know: Dragons never go out of style. :)

Here's the thing... this game has an advantage that other indie games do not - it already HAS a functional game (albeit an OLD one).

So I say put that to use! Make the OLD game accessible for backers to play with certain "buffs" (to offset the old school grind) while using their money to get the staff and assets and money needed to finish out the Unreal migration.

There's got to be someone on this forum other than me who has marketing/promotional experience. I'd be willing to stream as well as network (and I actually know a few people here and there, so can help with introductions as well as whatever else).

All that said, I think the biggest hurdle for the community (and the company??) is simply allowing themselves to have "that belief" like we all did the first time we heard about this game.

There's a reason this game has lasted 12 (nearly 13!!) years.

It's the same reason that I know it can be the game it always should have been... the game we wanted.

All players need to do is wait for the official hype machine to whistle and then...? Hype city, people. Hype city. ;)
    You got the idears. Maybe you should concider contacting the team itself directly with that but we shouldn`t discuss this in a weekly bonus thread XD. Make a new one for that or maybe there already is one.

"If being of fire means blind arrogance and the elevation of violence above reason, then let me be of water!"

It depends which server board I think is which.

On kickstarter - The devs once said they're going to do a kickstarter, but only once they're 1000% sure they'll be putting their best foot forward. I'd have to find the thread again, but I believe it was Amon who once said that you only ever get 1 shot at kickstarter and that's it, so it's gotta be your best one.

You guys are getting really offtopic... Put that stuff in another thread.

For a login bonus, keep it simple.

Vanity items, and after thinking more about it, instead of "double exp potions", just edible crystals that give a flat amount of exp. Can have some for adventure, others for crafting exp. The smaller more common exp crystals might be 2k to 8k. The bigger, rare exp crystals would be 64k to 200k exp.

And I still like the ideas of custom looking armor pieces, restricted to school (so you apply the item to a piece of armor, then say only mage can wear it, or maybe mage/sorc/wiz/conj) that have their own particle effects, and custom emotes. Can also be simpler ones that just add a light particle effect to any piece of armor, or perhaps give you a different emote that becomes available, or grant a title that you only get while the item is equipped (would work similar to the pets granting abilities only while equipped). Maybe a drag to apply tech that changes a helms' appearance into a decorative one, like a wizard style hat. Stuff like that.

The easy stuff can come first, the exp crystals. The titles, effects, customizations for armor can come later.

I do not think old items are a warranted 'reward' for logging in.

Instead of just giving for a log on, cause I guess your motive is to get people to show up, maybe give them a map that directs them to a pick up spot so at least they stay on line long enough for it to matter....
    For prizes, How about a decorative item like a banner, basket or piece of furniture for a house? Or a travel scroll? Potions are always useful. Or a GNOME HOUSE, darn it. I want a gnome house....
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

Travel scrolls or stat and/or reaping potions would be great - and hardly game changing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Instead of just giving for a log on, cause I guess your motive is to get people to show up, maybe give them a map that directs them to a pick up spot so at least they stay on line long enough for it to matter....
    For prizes, How about a decorative item like a banner, basket or piece of furniture for a house? Or a travel scroll? Potions are always useful. Or a GNOME HOUSE, darn it. I want a gnome house....
    Better yet, give a small reward for logging in, a medium reward for logging in and completing your racial city's dailies, and a big reward if you can knock out all the dailies in three cities.

And yes, please, speed, capacity, and portal rewards.
    Roasted Sumatra (Chaos)

Sassi Quickwing (Blight)

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    ....a GNOME HOUSE, darn it. I want a gnome house....
    same here!

I 100% support log-in rewards being added. I haven't given it enough thought to really have suggestions for what they should be but with population problems I would like to see them tied to doing something, not just straight log-in bonuses. I would also like to see daily, weekly and then much much larger certain hours played per year(awesome reward but high hour figure) reward.

The problem with rewards based on number of hours played is that it will just cause people to log in and stand around in Bristugo or Dralk all day.

They already do that on Order. I'd bet over half the population ingame at any time are just there chatting or rping. An extra hours played reward might motivate those doing that to join the other half doing something. Same as making the daily or weekly involving something, be it quest, kill or craft something to try and motivate more people to be ingame longer than just getting a log-in reward for just showing up for a minute. Just my thoughts on it

Are daily/weekly login rewards still being considered? I know the team has quite a lot on their plate, but I think it's a fantastic idea if it's still being ruminated on. I feel like items such as XP potions, copper/silver, or those special potions (the ones which give various blessings) could be nice for dailies.

I understand some people's reticence to XP potions, but a 20% XP potion that lasts an hour isn't very game breaking and gives something for people to look forward to getting, especially if they are having trouble grinding.

Weekly rewards could be new cosmetics *cough* like different colored hooded tunics *cough* :P and new plot decorations or buildings (different racial houses like Gnome houses, Dryad mushrooms, etc.).

Just my two cents!
    - Quiiliitiila

I you want some thing like this it needs to be some thing a regular player can use.

exp isn't that usefull for a dragon level 100. or even for a high level biped.
    and for low levels the reward of regular playing is already there "levelling".

plot modification are bid difficult because they have to stop working when the player isn't that active any more.

It will also need a load up time. like you can't use it before you have been on every day for two weeks.
    And its should have a time needed to be on. this can be done by making an artefact that need tokens consumes one a day ad mind night, can have 0-30 tokens stored but you can't take them out and needs 14 tokens to be working.

As a bonus what about the first resurrect of the day doesn't create death time and doesn't produce the death debug.
    This also reduce the penalty of playing daily.

You can also put this the other way round that when you do not log on you don't reduce your death counter. or only lose a quarter of it.

I agree with you on a build up time, most of the other MMOs that I have played typically require around a week of consecutive logins. However, I think (speaking from personal experience, but I'm sure many can relate) that a week of consecutive logins can be really difficult. Some days someone may have a long day of work, some days people may just not have time. Missing a single day and having the count reset is asinine and ultimately frustrating in my opinion.

Instead, perhaps consider more of a milestone approach. All logins are tracked and once a certain number is reached, a reward is granted. The more total logins, the greater the rewards become.

As for your concerns with EXP and XP booster potions, I can see where you are coming from. I understand that the vast majority of the playerbase is max level, so XP may not matter. However, you should consider that this game may start having new players coming in at some point and XP is very useful, especially considering the amount of grinding there is in Istaria.

Perhaps a token can be granted instead, which allows the player to choose from a wide assortment of prizes? Make a neat in game vendor in Bristugo or Dalimond? That way max level and low level alike can simply purchase the prize that would be of most use to them.

Thoughts?

Only thing I would like are the special travel scrolls that let you port to the towers. That would
    be so convenient! Or travel scrolls that take you to some of the out of the way places that take
    bipeds a long long time to get to. Please not attuned, I have enough crap in my vault already :)
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

Right behind you when you're not looking!

25% Exp pots are already available (for silver from pawnbrokers and loyalty tokens from Anarie). Special travel scrolls too for 1 epic token per box of travel scrolls (to special locations, to the towers, minus tower of nature for some reason <.< and to the satyr islands).

Though I guess they could still be part of login bonuses.
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

Speaking from experience, the issue with the XP potions in game is the massive price tag. I believe (I'm in work and can't check) that they are somewhere around 200 silver. That may be fine for players above 90, but for anyone lower it is a MASSIVE amount of money to spend. I'm currently 41st level and only have roughly over one gold, spending almost a quarter of that on a pack of five one hour potions is simply out of the question, especially since I'm saving for some property as well.

Ultimately my point is that these awards should be looked at as simply that, awards. They don't have to be something you can't get anywhere else, they don't have to be something that is new or unique. The point is to give a little bit of incentive for new and old players alike to log in and play for a bit every day. Sometimes all it may take is a small bag of money or XP boost potion.

I still maintain it would be a good idea to simply award tokens upon login and have a vendor in Bristugo who sells a good deal of items for varying amounts of tokens. If I'm not mistaken the technology is already in game for a system like this and wouldn't require that much work aside from deciding what's in the store itself. Having a store makes it so players if all levels can find something useful and buy it, rather than a random chance.

Thread Information