View Poll Results: Warehouse Options (See end of post before voting)

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Two kinds of Warehouses

1 7.14%
  • One kind of Warehouse

9 64.29%
  • Warehouses are Resource Specific

4 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to the Team: Warehouses

Default Talk to the Team: Warehouses

Hello Istarians! Today I'm coming to you for some feedback on a structure called a "Warehouse".

A Warehouse is a structure we have considered to attempt to try to reduce the number of silo farms in the world by compacting them into a single structure. This is not only easier on people who have to play musical silos for bulk storage, but reduces structure count too (and consequently - lag).

A drawback that is currently known is less control over permissions (one structure versus many - you can have varied permissions on a silo farm versus a warehouse being one structure).

Firstly, I'd love to hear some feedback on some sizes we have considered in efforts to try to make them flexible enough to reduce the need for large silo farms:

- 10x10
    - 10x15
    - 15x15
    - 10x20
    - 15x20
    - 20x20
    - 25x25

Additionally, another bit of feedback requested is on how best to approach their functionality. I've created a poll on the thread for the options below to try to gauge what people might prefer. Here are some of the options that have been considered:

- Option #1: Have two kinds of warehouse.
    One is a food warehouse, the other is a supply warehouse.

The food warehouse offers the same bulk and stack as the same number of storehouses that you could place in its footprint and can only store food and ingredients like storehouses.

The supply warehouse holds your craft materials or whatever else a silo could normally hold, and offers the same bulk and stack as a similar number of silos that you could place in its footprint.

Both would cost slightly less resources to build each than the number of storehouses or silos that could be placed in the warehouse's footprint. Possibly available for each tier 1 through 6 and only needs that tier's resources, making them easier to build.
    - Option #2: Have one kind of warehouse.
    It offers the same stack count as the number of storehouses that you could place in its footprint, but the same bulk as a similar number of silos.

This option is pretty powerful - so I suspect to incentivize building it over silos is an option to offer a slight boost on the bulk/stack, but it costs a bit more to build too. This warehouse might only be available every even tier, and need both the same tier and last tier resources to build... kind of like a dragon lair chamber.
    - Option #3: Warehouses are resource type specific.
    It offers the same stack count as the number of storehouses that you could place in its footprint, but the same bulk as a similar number of silos.

It costs a little less to build than the storehouses and silos that could fit in its footprint, but you can only store one kind of resource in it at a time. This means that you could have a stone warehouse, or a cloth warehouse, and you can't put cloth in the stone warehouse and vice versa. These would be more suited to plots close to one type of resource field.
    Azulyte is a Dragon's best friend. Azulars on the other hand, are another matter entirely...

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Warehouses

I am blind, I only just noticed this thread. I voted for option #2.

One of my bipeds is confectioner, alchemist, and future tinker. I'm currently trying to round up all the mats for making all the different colored dye kits. Lots of stacks for the ground gems, confectioner takes up many stacks and I have a feeling that when I start tinkering the resource parts stack count will explode again. In many cases in this example I don't always need a ton of bulk but lots of different stacks. Though it tends to be more bulk than will work very well with a house and I don't have room for a bunch of guild houses. This sounds like a very good idea.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

I'd prefer option 1 or were just gonna be in the same place but with warehouses.

Perhaps a 4th option to think about would be an NPC (give him a little warehouse to stand in) but he acts like a "plot vault".
    Call him the Warehouse keeper and he has access to a separate vault you can store all resources in, you could make it act just like a vault for anyone linked to the Plot and even offer upgrades for gold or Loyalty tokens?

This way we could all stop worrying about having the biggest plots too and perhaps get back to making them a pretty sight to look at when passing rather than a land of Industrial workhouses. ;)

Edit, if the "vault" option is a no go, how about a version of a consigner but with no item limit and no time limit?
    Last edited by Sindala; October 1st, 2016 at 10:19 AM.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Also have to consider that when you say "for the same footprint they would take" that with the new plot rules where you would have had 2 silos you can now fit 20. ;)

Interesting concept, would require me tearing down and completely redesigning and rebuilding my plot to implement. One thought, however it goes, could each warehouse be compartmentalized. Meaning when you open the warehouse you see compartments (sorta like pouches in inv/vault) that can be labeled and then specific items can be grouped togeather, like a compartment for metals, another for stone, a 3rd for cloth, etc. Not totally sure how could do this as each compartment would need to hold all Tiers of each material, differant size warehouses would have differant total amounts.

If a warehouse replaced say 8 T2 silos would the total bulk of the warehouse be same as we have with 8 seperate ones now? 32,000 x 8 for 256,000 bulk?

Just how many silos would you be able to fit in a 15x15 structure, a 25x25? An even tiered silo has a footprint of 7x5 so a 25x25 warehouse by my math (granted its old school math so may be far off)would hold 3 deep x 5 wide for a total of 15 even tiered silos. A storehouse has a footprint of 9x6, so same 25x25 warehouse could fit 2 deep by 4 for a total of 8 storehouses? A 10x10 could only hold 1 of either type, unless your doing the math by total sq footage instead of actual footprint. If total sq footage then could get 2 even tiered silos in a a 10x10 warehouse but still only 1 storehouse. Ok enough math my head hurts now.

Also if implemented would this totally replace silos as in couldn't build any single stack silos or 4 stack storehouses like we have now?

I admit I'm probably (no doubt?) the worse "offender" when it comes to silo farms as I prefer to have storage for each resource needed to craft meaning as an example since some formulas call for cut gems and some call for uncut gems and there are 18 types of gems in the world need 36 silos to hold them all. Thats not counting powdered gems and such needed. I've literally spent years building my plot and not sure even with a more efficient storage system I'd want to tear it all down and start over. Being a GMC there is alot of differant materials needed.

Oops didn't see 3rd option for individual warehouses depending on type, sorry. I'd like to change my vote to option 3 :)

Maybe have all warehouses have same footprint but be slightly taller depending on Tier built, like we have now with silos. Maybe different colors versus what they hold or made of different material (in look), if option 3 implemented
    Last edited by Smaug; October 1st, 2016 at 12:06 PM.

Just a question, this only applies to plots?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoubek View Post
    Just a question, this only applies to plots?
    Erm, where else would it apply to? You can only build silo's on plots that i'm aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    Erm, where else would it apply to? You can only build silo's on plots that i'm aware of?
    There are lair silos, however, lairs aren't as prone to 'silo farms' as plots are.

(nor are they as much of an eye-sore)
    Last edited by Liseth; October 1st, 2016 at 01:59 PM.
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

You have 7 footprints, so to simplify the implementation, I suggest each size is a specific tier of building. We don't need 7 t1 possibilities, 7 t2 possibilities, 7 t3 possibilities... see how it quickly gets out of control.

So the 10x10 would take t1 building materials, and I suspect this is equal to 2 silos by 2 silos in square area? Dev's chip in with that information. Takes same resources to build as 4 t1 silos, but holds 12 stacks, 4x the bulk of a single t1 silo. No other versions of the 10x10 are needed.

10x15 is tier 2, and holds 4x3 (12) tier 2 silos worth of bulk, 36 stacks. (estimating the size of t1,t3,t5 silos as about 5m wide, and the tier 2,4,6 silos which are skinnier, as about 3.1m)

Follow that patter to the last 2, which are both t6, the 20x20 and the 25x25
    20x20 holds the same bulk as 36 t6 silos, with 108 stacks. (I am estimating that the t6 silo is about 3.1m wide)
    25x25 holds the same bulk as 64 t6 silos, with 192 stacks.

The t5 and the two t6 warehouses should come in many styles. So Saris, Sslisk, Human, Dwarf, Elven, Half-Giant (snowy) and maybe even a Dragon styled one.

Before anyone goes "omg those are way too huge in bulk capacities!?!?!11!", bear in mind that the required construction materials will be equal to the number of silos that it replaces. The 25x25 will need the same or nearly the same mats as 64 t6 silos. If my guesstimate at the quantity of t6 silos that fit in a 25x25 space are off (probably are), just adjust the bulk and materials needed, and I tripled the stacks vs the number of silos, because a warehouse holds many things, and there should be some incentive to build one of these construction-heavy monstrosities.

This is a great idea. Anything to bring to an end the ridiculous number of silo farms everywhere, which are all eyesores. Where was the neighborhood association when that law allowing unrestricted silos was passed...
    Last edited by Guaran; October 1st, 2016 at 02:42 PM.

Can we get a Dev response on a question I've been pondering.
    Does this mean the "new" plot placement rules are going to change again? Because at the moment you can place structures in and on other structures?
    So I cannot see many people dropping 40 silos that all sit in very small space, only to have more Box building that don't fit on plots.
    Think of the Grand GH, place one of these and your not gonna place many "warehouses"?

Can we get a Dev response on a question I've been pondering.
    Does this mean the "new" plot placement rules are going to change again? Because at the moment you can place structures in and on other structures?
    So I cannot see many people dropping 40 silos that all sit in very small space, only to have more Box building that don't fit on plots.
    Think of the Grand GH, place one of these and your not gonna place many "warehouses"?
    I do not believe the "new" rules are in fact official and intended, as I do not recall seeing it come across any notes, public or internal.
    I've heard of this before though, I simply haven't had the time to throw it in with the rest of the team

When you place "incorrectly" you get a message saying something about the planning gnomes agree to look the other way or something.
    I'd say that basically gives implied consent?

According to IstariaReference site even tiers silos have a footprint of 5mx7m. Though they do seem to be square so seems odd. If that is true though you could only get 4 silos physically in a 10x15 footprint, 2x2 or 10mx14m.

Was there a reason the poll was closed so fast? Not that it matters much to me, I'm with the majority on this one. :-)

An update on the ruling:

It was to allow structures / walls / floor tiles to be placed so they look better. or adjust flower / walls so they have better overlap.

The fact that it also allows for silos and other storage structures to be overlapped is an unexpected side-effect.

perhaps place a margin like all structures could overlap but only in 10%

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

I think the thing everyone is overlooking is Why are there so many silo's.
    Obviously an easy question, with more and more experienced crafters, we all like resources stored. Reasonable yes?
    So the obvious answer to the amount of silos on a plot is not to design structures that don't really solve the problem, just increase them to hold 4 stacks like the food silos?

Simple, nobody needs to drop built silos or redesign whole plots (which not many would do anyway).
    Just increase the stack to 4 and there you have it, 4 times less silos needed. ??

.......Simple, nobody needs to drop built silos or redesign whole plots (which not many would do anyway).
    Just increase the stack to 4 and there you have it, 4 times less silos needed. ??
    And increase silo bulk allowed x4.

Also if houses (and guild houses) had max bulk increased x4 (or more), more resources would find their way into those structures since many silos have only a small quantity of resources in them, and thus fewer silos will be needed.

Some examples why alot of silos are used by me and maybe some others.

Gems: Theres 18 different gems. Formulas needing both uncut and cut = 36
    Tinkering: Theres 4 types of items used (springs,gears, hinges, struts) x 6 tiers = 24
    Leather/hide sacs/backpacks/etc: Theres 6 leathers, 6 hides, 6 saps, 6 barks = 24
    Metals: Theres 9 different metals. Formulas needing both raw and refined metals = 18

Thats more then 100 right there.

This is just a sample of whats needed if you want to have on hand all resources needed to craft quickly as I like to do. Crafting is what I prefer and is my thing (good thing since im probably worse adventurer ever) in Istaria. Theres plenty more potions, dyes, various essences like tainted and more.

I've tried keeping just the base materials and making the refined items as needed but jumping back and forth between recipes, switching suits when need boost to be opt and frustration of always forgetting something when i think i got all the refined items needed only to find out oops forgot this or forgot that, I decided I want to keep on hand both raw and refined resources.
    Last edited by Smaug; October 2nd, 2016 at 07:54 PM.

Slightly off topic but I had another thought today. The problem with barns. They are a nice looking structure but rarely built due the ratio of footprint and the amount they hold. Yet they seem much like your option #1 food warehouse. Food for thought?

Thread Information