Thread: Why Istarians have no boats and can't swim

Default Why Istarians have no boats and can't swim

Did anybody ever come up with lore for that? I can't remember.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Default Re: Why Istarians have no boats and can't swim

Istarians don't float ��
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Ancient Dragons kept finding it funny to burn the sails while the boats were out on the oceans thus stranding the poor Naka Duskul on the open waves to drown.
    Eventually Peds gave up building boats and started using Portals instead.

As far as I remember the only ones using boats were the Half-giants from mahagra traveling to Aradoth, but they were punished by the Mountain God and their fleet was frozen and had to be dismantled in order to survival. I think their boats were never reconstructed again and they remained at Trandalar.

there's no specific lore, but original half giants from Trandalar used ships to get down to lesser aradoth to raid Kion, thats the only mention of ships.

otherwise, the game engine simply doesn't support it, i guess. lol.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Isn't there a ship frozen in ice somewhere?
    I think I remember seeing one up near the Mage tower?? or am I thinking of something else. lol

Lol. I thought it was because of sea monsters that they didn't have boats, or maybe a god's curse, or magic from the Withered Aegis that made them unable to swim.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

The real reason... Istarians are neither ducks nor are they made of wood.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Best answer ever!

There is one guy in Dalimond who says something along the lines of "We stopped using boats because the people who went out in them never came back." Possibly implying some unknown nastiness in the deep... though as with the Trandalarian half-giant raiders, it clearly hasn't always been a problem.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Here is a 2009 thread on the subject of Istarian watercraft...

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ps-and-boats-P

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Lol Nice.

Thanks for the link Knossos. *reads thread*...

Quote Originally Posted by GalemThawn

As far as lore goes, there currently are no more boats in Istaria due to the Water Golems. No one is foolhardy enough to go out in boats anymore (an NPC on the docks in Dalimond can tell you more about this). Also, the Portal system has made movement of people and goods easier and more efficient than by boat.
    Oh! Well that makes sense. I completely forgot about the water golem problem! Huh... I'm still going with the "magic is why nobody can swim" idea. Or maybe it's just the Gifted who can't swim... hmm

Are there water golems in game? I've seem water elementals, but can't recall ever seeing water golems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    Are there water golems in game? I've seem water elementals, but can't recall ever seeing water golems.
    I looked it up on the wiki and found this: http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Golem#Golems

Golems are creatures comprised of the very elements themselves. They patrol crafting resource areas and attack anyone that wanders into their territory.

Some Golems can be harvested once they have been killed. Most of them deliver as much material as rich resource nodes.
    They are called "water elementals", but elementals are listed under the golem category, so I guess they count as golems.

Elementals are golem-like creatures that roam throughout the lands of Istaria.

I found the guys who talk about the boats! Also something weird out in Dalimond bay.

Please let me know if anyone has trouble reading that.

Thread Information