Thread: An Explanation on Loot and how it is Generated.

Default An Explanation on Loot and how it is Generated.

The question "How is loot generated" rings far and wide, and with permission I have created a visual guide on how loot in general is generated, this excludes certain things, but it should give a good idea on how it works:

What is excluded from this image is some deeper workings, and also quest loot generation.

Quest loot works slightly different in that once you have a quest, a keyword triggers and monsters sharing this keyword get an extra loot drop, specifically for the quest item. (this is also why you can get quest items to drop before you are on the right step, as it can only be triggered by having the quest, not by being on a certain step)

Once you open the loot window, a number is generated in between certain values (60-80 for example) and another number is generated at the same time.

This first value is what can be seen as the limit, the second number is your personal roll, if this is above the first number, it triggers the quest loot to appear in the monster's loot window, if it is below it will return nothing.
    ___
    Again, this is a generalization of the system and does not represent it 100% but it's the basics.

(apologies for any typos present in the image)
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

Default Re: An Explanation on Loot and how it is Generated.

nicely explained

Thanks for the explanation.

However, I have a question. I've been trophy hunting lately, trying to bring up a second class on my warrior. I notice some mobs tend to drop more trophies than others. For example, Amethyst golems were pretty stingy with trophies, but Ruxus' seem to drop them more often.

Is that just the random number generator? Or do different mobs have different chances to drop trophies?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    Thanks for the explanation.

However, I have a question. I've been trophy hunting lately, trying to bring up a second class on my warrior. I notice some mobs tend to drop more trophies than others. For example, Amethyst golems were pretty stingy with trophies, but Ruxus' seem to drop them more often.

Is that just the random number generator? Or do different mobs have different chances to drop trophies?
    Loot tables are divided by: enemy type (so insect, golems, treants etc. though many are grouped, golems and treants for example) and level. you'll generally find that the higher enemies in a tier have higher chances, or to be more exact, more drop chances. (so instead of 1-1 they can have 1-3)
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

Blog Entries

Insightful! Thank you.

Question - are you folks using a bespoke RNG or are you using a "true" random number generator (e.g., https://www.random.org/ ) ?

They have a free API: https://www.random.org/clients/http/
    Last edited by Beryl; December 15th, 2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added a potentially interesting link for API (free) use of Random's true RNG
    Bherel Auphun (Chaos - main)
    Roasted Sumatra (Chaos)

Sassi Quickwing (Blight)
    [Beryl, house of the Kindred Spirits, Dawn Server, R.I.P.]

Thread Information