Thread: Can't target some named mobs?

Question Can't target some named mobs?

Hello,

I was working on a hatchling for RoP. But, when I target Kaa, the game crashes with an unhandled exception. Is this a bug or a glitch? Help!

Default Re: Can't target some named mobs?

Are you blight client?

Yea. I have the latest client.

Sounds some old or missing files. You might want to click the Full Scan box on the launcher (Troubleshoot button).
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I tried that, but alas, I still have the problem.

Not sure if this applies to "normal" bosses, but I had the same crashing issue when selecting Lesser Epic Bosses, such as Fafnir. Unpatch your game from the blight client. This should fix it. If not, I've got no clue. D:
    xWaterwingx SpiritStream - Lunus Ancient | Lycheeberry Pavlova - Helian Ancient | Atriva Liliin - Lunus Ancient | Intossicara Draconis - Helian Ancient | Bananaswirl Milkshake - Helian Ancient | Veshk Melone - Lunus Ancient | xWaterwingxII SpiritStream - Lunus Ancient
    And more aaaaaaaaaa

I'm not entirely sure, but I do have a theory as to what is causing this crash. When you select a Lesser Epic on the latest Blight client, your game will crash if the target window is open and if you are not on Blight.

You may notice when you are on the Blight client that every enemy has a new ring around their image in the target window. Green is a weak/on-level enemy, orange is a hard enemy, and red is a very dangerous enemy. Selecting Valkor the Impaler or General Reklar Plaguebearer will give you a very red spiky ring signifying that they're deadly.

When on Blight, however, there is new code implemented on the client so that when you select a Greater Epic enemy, you get a very spiky black ring with green Aegis runes around it to signify that they are very special enemies. If you select a Lesser Epic, you get a black ring as well, but with blight vines wrapped around it instead. This works by checking the 'tags' of the enemy in the database and seeing if the enemy is a lesser epic, greater epic, or a normal enemy.

On live, this code does not seem to be working fully or correctly as selecting a Lesser Epic makes you outright crash and selecting a Greater Epic gets you the 'dangerous enemy' ring. The backstage work required to get the selection distinctions to work might require a full-on Delta instead of just a client update and without the Delta, your game crashes or doesn't recognise it. I fear if the Blight client goes live before the Delta does, the crash will follow, so I'm bringing up this issue to the tech team to see if we can track it down and have the Lesser Epic ring revert like the Greater Epic does.

As for selecting normal named bosses, it's likely a similar reason. Named enemies also have their own rings that aren't functioning just yet. I don't crash when selecting them, though, so that issue might've passed by now.

TL;DR: Something screwy is going on with the target window and closing it will let you select Lesser Epics on the Blight client on Live

So, if I don't have it open, I won't crash?

this problem was fixed a while back

Thread Information