Thread: Wich issue with favouritism?

Default Wich issue with favouritism?

Daheck? Let them devs plant in as many easter eggs as they want. They got removed anyway. Next you want Solitaire to be renamed? No thx. Why not refering for example to peeps that did alot for the game itself? Wouldn`t mind if i find a thing in the game refering to Racktor for example since racky did alot for the game. Theres a place where some gravestones wear the name of peeps wich i find kinda funny. I want easter eggs. What about you?

"If being of fire means blind arrogance and the elevation of violence above reason, then let me be of water!"

Default Re: Wich issue with favouritism?

Quote Originally Posted by Pryzm View Post
    Daheck? Let them devs plant in as many easter eggs as they want. They got removed anyway. Next you want Solitaire to be renamed? No thx. Why not refering for example to peeps that did alot for the game itself? Wouldn`t mind if i find a thing in the game refering to Racktor for example since racky did alot for the game. Theres a place where some gravestones wear the name of peeps wich i find kinda funny. I want easter eggs. What about you?
    Friendly reminder that Solitaire is an ex developer, and all the gravestones refer to current or old devs, there are no easter eggs currently in-game referring to players aside from the darkstaff questline, which is more of a jab at the player than an honorific.
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

Players being incorporated into the game would show undue praise for the players and it would open up a whole new can of worms because every player would want some hidden thing(s) that refers to them which obviously can't happen without a huge burden on the servers.

I would definitely NOT want something in the game that was dedicated to me. It's entirely unnecessary and would cause drama. If you want something in the game/changed in the game because of you... you can already have that: report bugs, make suggestions for new things or ways to improve existing things. The changes just won't be dedicated specifically to you.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

It depends which server board I think is which.

Personally, I would never want something dedicated to me in-game, Pryzm. While I appreciate one-on-one thank you's and I'm glad I have a positive reputation, I couldn't ever accept something in-game that has my name on it for a few reasons -

1. People would see me as one of two things - someone who did something for the community or, for the people who like to think more on the darker side, a pet of the devs. I'd get a reputation I wouldn't want; being directly involved with the developers and having their hand or their blessing in what I do. I don't, I'm just another person
    2. I'm really a shy person and I don't like gathering up attention
    3. I wouldn't ever want to be the center of drama or frustration which is bound to happen if something is named after me

I only mention this specifically to myself since you used me as an example... please be careful with who you use as an example for a point. ^^; (Edit: I'm not mad, this is just a sensitive topic atm and I don't really want to say much on it/be involved with it much)

But anyway, in general, the issue was this - it wasn't a silly little reference. It wasn't a gesture of appreciation for hard work. It was a blatant copying of character designs implemented as obvious NPCs with the player names backwards. Anyone who knows theplayers that were copied would very easily recognise it, start wondering and, when they can't find any reason why beyond "because I wanted to", people start calling favoritism and get angry. You can't glorify or immortalize people in a game without good reason to and, as far as I know, there was no good reason given to any of the people implemented. (No offense to them, of course)

Every single easter egg in-game right now refers to devs. The gravestones were AmonGwareth, Velea, and Yfelvik, if I'm not mistaken. Solitaire worked directly on the game at some point as Liseth pointed out.

People called it favoritism because there was no good reason as to why these people were added in. No note in the patch notes, they just appeared, and so without any good reason to excuse it, others got angry.

Sorry if I sound rambly btw but I was in the middle of drawing 300 scales when I decided to reply here

I get it i get it im bad at ranting. Just had to let frustration out. Really just took you as an example not as direct reference. Also i know about the NPC stuff was kinda of an accident and so on. Fine if i shall not rant here ill put frustrations into a video muahaha.

Also i know of 2 statues refering to players maybe... I know 1 for sure but she deserves to be remembered

Geez im just no good addition to a community always breaking loose stuff sorry

"If being of fire means blind arrogance and the elevation of violence above reason, then let me be of water!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pryzm View Post
    I get it i get it im bad at ranting. Just had to let frustration out. Really just took you as an example not as direct reference. Also i know about the NPC stuff was kinda of an accident and so on. Fine if i shall not rant here ill put frustrations into a video muahaha.

Also i know of 2 statues refering to players maybe... I know 1 for sure but she deserves to be remembered

Geez im just no good addition to a community always breaking loose stuff sorry
    Good catch, I had forgotten about the memorials, however, I'm pretty sure the players that were mentioned as NPCs are very much alive
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

I understand why some might be upset but personally I had/have no problem with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    People called it favoritism because there was no good reason as to why these people were added in. No note in the patch notes, they just appeared, and so without any good reason to excuse it, others got angry.
    I must say, I'm fascinated by the notion that favoritism and recognition are the same thing.

I **totally** think the company should recognize what they find to be extraordinary contributors. I know I won't be one because I am not as altruistic as some and I'm fine with it.

In my opinion, swatting at a company's choice of how they may or may not wish to demonstrate their regard for a particular customer is petty.

Being well thought of enough to receive an in-game recognition is neither a bad thing nor is it "favoritism" - favoritism would be to receive unfair advantage in the progression OF THE GAME.

If someone is complaining because "that person over there likes X more than they like me!" then, all due respect, they probably need to go outside a bit more and maybe be a little less concerned with "how people rank in relation to one another".

That's my take on it, contributed primarily because it seems not to be well represented on the forum and I wouldn't want anyone to think because they've never seen it, it doesn't exist. (grin)
    Bherel Auphun (Chaos - main)
    Roasted Sumatra (Chaos)

Sassi Quickwing (Blight)
    [Beryl, house of the Kindred Spirits, Dawn Server, R.I.P.]

The implementation of these NPCs were not approved or endorsed by Virtrium in any shape or form. Most of the development team had no idea until the NPCs were already on Blight and Live, which is when they were promptly removed.

It is against our policy to implement any NPCs referring to living and active players, the primary reason of which is accusations of favoritism. The only people recognised in-game are developers or players who have passed away.

ok ok ill admit it, was me, all me. Don't blame anyone else but me.

Thread Information