Thread: MMOByte decided to cover Istaria

Blog Entries

Default MMOByte decided to cover Istaria

One of the MMO Youtube groups decided to cover Istaria. It maybe didn't shine us in the best light, but our name is out there a bit more now.

Link to their video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaK9dqzkeEk

Default Re: MMOByte decided to cover Istaria

My thoughts after watching this video are that maybe Istaria developers should consider adding some "special" tutorials for "special" people such as those two.

I watched the video till the end, that was hard though.

This video can be summarized simply by quoting one of their sentence:
    "I probably should next time...actually...bother to check what the game is about before downloading it" (16:14)

Who downloads (and more specifically tests) a game without knowing anything about it ?

Further more, they don't know what to do but they don't even read. At 9:55, reading the text gave them the answer they were looking for.
    Instead of that, they were commenting about boobs (13:12) and shoes not matching armor color (13:50). To me it isn't "testing a game".
    "Why they're so bad at keeping their houses repaired ?" (14:26) They would have the answer if they had greeted Pratt as asked in their quest.

7:30 -- Well aren't we running slower in water in real life ?

The fun part being, they don't realise it, but they seem good at role-playing at some points.

I know that I'm an experienced player of Istaria and that I can't judge as a new player anymore, it might be the reason why I don't understand their disappointment. But they're making bad ads by not testing it properly.
    Last edited by SuHuz; August 9th, 2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: correcting
    SuHuz Fieryclaw, Grand Master Dragon Crafter (Order)

they can't rate a game based on 18 minutes play time. If I could only play for 30 minutes, I wouldn't play most of the other games on the market, because just as they did with this games rating.. I can find a lot of things wrong, that make no sense in most new ones. especially now-a-days most people don't want to play a game where they can't go to an in-game store and buy the best of everything needed to be a #1 ranking PK'er. I do not find those games interesting in the least. You basically do not need to work very much to build any character in all these newer games. What's the fun in that? well todays kids way of thinking I guess. Use daddies credit card and go buy best gear, get to 100 and go around pk'ing lvl 10's just because you can

Quote Originally Posted by SuHuz View Post
    I watched the video till the end, that was hard though.

This video can be summarized simply by quoting one of their sentence:
    "I probably should next time...actually...bother to check what the game is about before downloading it" (16:14)

Who downloads (and more specifically tests) a game without knowing anything about it ?

Further more, they don't know what to do but they don't even read. At 9:55, reading the text gave them the answer they were looking for.
    Instead of that, they were commenting about boobs (13:12) and shoes not matching armor color (13:50). To me it isn't "testing a game".
    "Why they're so bad at keeping their houses repaired ?" (14:26) They would have the answer if they had greeted Pratt as asked in their quest.

7:30 -- Well aren't we running slower in water in real life ?

The fun part being, they don't realise it, but they seem good at role-playing at some points.

I know that I'm an experienced player of Istaria and that I can't judge as a new player anymore, it might be the reason why I don't understand their disappointment.
    To me they just seem like a bunch of amateurs thinking they can hit it off because they have a YT channel (I know that the whole "Youtube Internettainer" thing is ... a thing now, but game reviewers without even their own site? puh-lease), they do not seem to understand the basics of istaria, let alone the basics of MMOs and game-design. So why would they bother "reviewing" something if they don't even know how? People in the comments calling the game a cash-grab, not knowing the majority of the developers work on the game without pay, not understanding the game has been out 13 years.

Sure if you look at istaria from an ARPG perspective, yes, it's boring.

If you look at istaria from the perspective of games like Neverwinter or Ultima, it suddenly becomes a lot more intersting.

Short story is, just because something caters to a niche market, doesn't make it boring, instead of bashing it they should be looking for positives, something they are seemingly incapable of.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

as a long time fanboi, i didn't make it thru the character creation part.
    needless to say, but i will say it anyway, i - for one - totes disagree with everything i did see and can surmise i would disagree with most of the opinions
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

So they acknowledge that they did precisely zero research, had no idea how huge the world is, barely touched the tutorial quests and didn't bother to read anything, but they call it the worst ever?

Let's ask them to come to PvP arena and experience a Tail Whip from an Ancient
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I saw this review on my own time while browsing YouTube. I can say that I disagree with everything in this video. What a sad example of a "game review." Leave it to those who actually take the time to analyze their findings, instead of picking at every minuscule impurity, especially without any background knowledge!

I recently have been watching Prince Rupert's Drop videos, and they somewhat remind me of MMOs and their impurities. A beautiful, tear-shaped piece of glass with bubbles on the inside, and a thin, fragile tail that-if any pressure applied, would shatter the entire piece. But, the 'blob' at the other end is near indestructible.

Look at the entire piece; revel in it's beauty, the way it was made, the time it took to melt the glass. The bubbles; the impurities, on the inside, that are ALWAYS there. It's indestructible head, and the fragile tail.

Don't just poke the tail and examine the bubbles and say "that's all there is to it." This thing can take 20 tons of force before it shatters, against 2 plates of steel metal, and a bullet straight to the pea-shaped head without shattering. Don't underestimate it. That's all I have to say! lol
    xWaterwingx SpiritStream - Lunus Ancient | Lycheeberry Pavlova - Helian Ancient | Atriva Liliin - Lunus Ancient | Intossicara Draconis - Helian Ancient | Bananaswirl Milkshake - Helian Ancient | Veshk Melone - Lunus Ancient | xWaterwingxII SpiritStream - Lunus Ancient
    And more aaaaaaaaaa

Right behind you when you're not looking!

i'd love to see that reply of yours here on that vid of them
    So very well said!
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

Thread Information