Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk to the Team: Stances

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Stances

No, I didn't hotkey them to switch, they just switch all by themselves. I love that and hope it's not a bug that will now be removed because I opened my gnome trap and said so...
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

Right behind you when you're not looking!

huh, you're probably the only one then :o
    never had mine switch by themselves
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

When I think of stances and how they used to work, I mainly used them defensively. I knew that in green I took more damage from certain attacks in red. So when the mob used red I switched to blue. The new ones just feel like something players will use (a particular one) and forget about switching or using another all that much. But a "stance" to me, is a combat pose, either one more offensive or defensive. So for combat, I wouldn't make them at all the "+Damage" (the one most players would use). It's just another damage boost, and we got a lot of those already.

What I would think about, would be keeping the stance purpose of being both offensive and defensive at the same time, like the old ones. Because then, you always had to be on your toes, and was less often a use and forget type ability.

so, say Red does 10% more damage to targets in Green, but takes 10% more damage from targets in Blue. Honestly this is pretty good combat mechanic as it is (if the mobs used them that is). The only reason they fell by the wayside, was at some point ages ago, it was decided that the mobs shouldn't use stances anymore. I don't know at all why that change was made, but I think all the mobs should get to use stances. And be able to swap them every so often, at least in the case of what would be a "Smarter" mob like the WA. dumber mobs like say golems could say use a stance when it spawns and not bother to change it. but humanoid or dragon mobs would switch them up often in fights (so as to be more challenging).

they could be renamed from red green blue. and there could be a few more in the mix. Like Yellow and Purple, and Red would take more damage from Blue and Yellow, and do more damage to green and purple (for example). But the mobs should definitely also get all the new stances, and at least 1 stance needs to be a counter or defense against another.

So I suppose my thinking on them would be 1) give all the mobs the stances, and 2) the players should be kept on the defense during combat. so having to choose proper stance to stop taking additional damage. To keep it from being too strong, it could be that Red does 5% more damage to Green, but takes 10% more damage from Blue (or whatever names they end up as). and neutral would take all the increased damage from all the stances, so the player has to use stances to keep the damage "normalized" at the original damage amounts... cause if they don't the incoming damage would go up.

Now, all of the ideas you had such as Improved recycle, +damage, chance for extra attack. I like those, but think they could be better used to help boost certain schools that need it. like monk, spearman, crossbowman. so they could be new class abilities (and either masterable or not), that helps boost classes that need it. maybe save them for certain class revamps. Like the chance to cause a bleed could be a new ability for spearman that applies to 1hp attacks. And also, however those types of abilities are implemented, mobs should also get them (maybe even slightly better versions).

As an alternative to the above, and more in line with Amon's ideas, the +Damage stance could be "+10% damage on next three attacks" after which it provides no more benefit and fades... They would have recycles of 30 sec or 1 min maybe. so they would be used, after which the player could use a different stance, but not go back to a particular one for 60 seconds... that would ensure that they are tactically used, and not be a static thing players mindlessly click on when they login and never change...

Also, they all need to be abilities with 0 pre or post delay (or very near to 0).
    If they have any significant combat delay, they might not always be worth using.
    Last edited by Guaran; December 1st, 2017 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The system of Stances and Styles in Istaria can be confusing. What impacts what, a style conflicts with a stance, or vice versa. Some abilities improve when used with certain stances, others don't. Monsters don't use them. And so on. The thought here is to streamline and make a bit more logical sense out of the system. This change would replace all existing Stances and Styles:

Red Stance "A" (1) = Rename to Offensive (Give +Bonus to Damage)
    Yellow Stance "B" (2) = Rename to Defensive (Give +Bonus to Armor)
    Green Stance "C" (3) = Rename to Focused (Give +Bonus to Melee/Ranged ToHit)
    Blue Stance "D" (4) = Rename to Attuned (Give +Bonus to Spell ToHit)
    LightBlue Stance "E" (5) = Rename to Shielded (Give +Bonus to Block)
    Orange Stance = Use "F" and 6, Rename to Enraged (Give +Bonus to Str/Pow)
    Purple Stance = Use "G" and 7, Rename to Passive (Give +Bonus to Evasion/MagDef)

This is an idea, not concrete implementation.
    Did they remove stances from monsters they use to have them but I have only been back 6 weeks after like 8-10 years away when i left stances matter on monsters because they switch mid fight and sometimes you switch to blue to get more damage from critstrike and take extra damage because the mob would be in green stance it kept it some what interesting.

Stances were removed from monsters, yes.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

will there be negatives? As in if your in Offensive stance will you take more damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    will there be negatives? As in if your in Offensive stance will you take more damage?
    Monsters can't really use stances properly so my goal had been to provide bonuses to players, not negatives. I don't really see a benefit to penalizing a player for a particular stance if the monster isn't using them properly against you.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Monsters can't really use stances properly so my goal had been to provide bonuses to players, not negatives. I don't really see a benefit to penalizing a player for a particular stance if the monster isn't using them properly against you.
    This gives me flash backs to a previous MMO I played before it shut down and we had auras we could switch and I loved that so i like your idea a lot

Thread Information