Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horizons Chat Log Reader

Default Horizons Chat Log Reader

OOC:
    Here's a little program I wrote up for Levity to help reduce the time it takes searching through chat logs. It's been floating around amongst a few others for a while now, but I finally have a website to host it on so I'm sharing it with the public. I know it may still have a few bugs in it, and any suggestions would be appreciated. For now you can just PM them to me until I get the e-mail for my website all set up.

http://www.omegawolfstudios.com/prod...g_Reader.shtml

Horizons Chat Log Reader - This program reads in Horizons chat logs and allows the user to break the log into the various chatrooms and tells that comprise it. It also allows for the merging of tells and chat rooms into a single log. Limiting filtering for public channels is also available.
    Gilresk Tesskril, Cleric and Armorer of Crai Aisling of Order
    Owner of the Mahagra Bed & Breakfast for Wayward Elves - Newly renovated in the Glaciers

Default Re: Horizons Chat Log Reader

I will testify as a highly satisfied user of this program. If you are trying to save a chat log from an RP storyline, it is invaluable, since you can instantly extract the dialogue from just one tab, or if there is multiple commentary, you can merge the two tabs. (e.g. in Ye Olde Pub we have an outsidepub tab as well, sometimes events in one are affecting reactions in the other). Then just highlight, copy, and paste into Word (my preference) and you have it saved.

Used to take me at least a couple of hours of deleting irrelevant lines to save a log, now it's under ten minutes.

The version I'm using does not do timestamps, and is highly editable, so this is not something to use to document events for later proof. But it's *wonderful* for saving the poetry and other creative writing that others have shared at Bardic Circles etc.

-Levity Merrel, Crai Aisling, Sans AoP by Aiya's Pad
    90 Blacksmith/63 Fitter/45 Mason/71 Reaver

Dranar

::Edits and removes previous statement about not getting it to work:: Though, I will add that the link to the Visual Basic Download is not working...

But, WOW, this program is great! ::Purrs:: I will be able to easily keep logs on and keep a much better track of chats and stories... no more worries about writing something in here and then loosing it.

Thank you so much for an excellent program.

~Dranar / Allon

Sorry about the link to the Visual Basic runtimes. It works in Opera and FireFox, but for some reason IE is stuipd and is linking back to an old website of mine. It does work if you right click on the link in IE and choose "Save Target As...". I'll get to work at figuring out why it's not working as it should though in IE.

Edit again: Okay, I fixed the problem. Mostly getting the latest VB runtimes directly from Microsoft. I'm not sure what the issue was with the other one, but it's fixed now.
    Owner of the Mahagra Bed & Breakfast for Wayward Elves - Newly renovated in the Glaciers

New version available. Mostly with better error handling and a fix to the copy to clipboard button. Problems can be sent to [email protected]

Auril

Gil! Thanks for this awesome program :)
    It works really well, actually the runtime error i talked about now is gone.

Good work!

/Auril

Yet another revision, 1.1.3. More minor fixes thanks to the bugs Firebrand reported and and per Firebrand's suggestion I have made the file name selection box a lot easier to use. A more detailed listing of the fixes can be found in the Readme.txt linked to on the page.

Unless any further bugs come up it may be a while until the next version as I think of more things to make the over-all application more useful.

Another revision. This time it is version 1.2.0. Here are the main changes/improvements:[*]Chat rooms without names now are handled properly.[*]Extremely long chats can now be paged through rather than cutting off.[*]Chat text box now resizes with the window.[/list]Sorry about the delay on this version, but it clears up most of the outstanding problems. I'm not sure if this thread should be moved to a more public forum since there may be those on Chaos and Unity also interested in it.

Realm of Order [Elsewhere: Los Angeles or Wesley Chapel]

I like program a lot. I just wish the Horizons pactcher would stop deleting it after every patch as well my Maps. Errrgg
    j'Phaelluin:Mage/Monk/Scholar/Cleric,Druid,Scout,Warrior/Blacksmith/OutfitterTiaeruih:Scout/Cleric,Mage,Warrior/Outfitter/Scholar,BlacksmithMhoss:7DragonAdventure/3Crafter

Don't save it in the HZ folder. I have it in my Games folder (which the HZ folder is in), and the patcher does not touch it.

-Levity

Quick update: up to version 1.2.2. The changes that went with 1.2 caused a small problem where the first letter of the chat room names was being cut off. It is now fixed.

Question:

When you talk to an NPC, is the NPC dialog saved in the chat logs? This would be fantastic to save the Lore you get from the various NPCS.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    (Retired but keeping an eye out.)
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    http://tinyurl.com/ZL3F

"I'm a vegetarian Dragon. I only eat Garden Gnomes."

Talking with an NPC is stored in the chat logs the same way Tells from another player are, so they'll show up in the chat log reader under the name of the NPC.

I've actually used this a few times to check quest information, like when I accidently close the NPC dialog window. Since the chat log files are being updated continuously and the chat log reader doesn't disrupt writing to them you can actually use it while playing the game.

Another small update: now version 1.2.3. This is just a fix to the problem where the first line of chats was being cut off. This was due to a small problem in the code for paging.

Auril

Thank you so much for the program!
    *bites Gil* [:D]

BUMP

Pharcellus, you might want to try this out, it's wonderful.

-Levity

Thanks, but I have no end of tools to parse text files and logs, being a long-time software developer.

The problem is that I did not have the log data because I WASN'T THERE.

I even offerred to someone who was there to parse and post the log, including providing instructions on how to do it with standard Windows tools.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Bump

Ronin Tetsuro

I'm getting this program, mostly because I've read the thread about the very very few griefers on the shard. I haven't even fully installed the game yet, but I want to help out in whatever way i can to get people like that out of the game.

*clicky*

The reader is indeed handy for quickly snagging just the part of the log you want, which can be useful in reporting griefing. However, be aware that since it has you cut and paste text, there is NO safeguard against editing the result before sending it to others.

For me, this is a good thing. I use the log reader to cull out RP sessions, collate multiple tabs of RP chat as scenes are played simultaneously in different locations, put them in Word, edit them for typos and rewrites and names of people typing if they happened to be an alt while RPing their main, then send the Word files out to the RP group so we can maintain continuity between sessions. With the reader, I can have an evening's session edited in 10-15 minutes. I've also edited out logs of Bardic sessions or Community gatherings and then posted the nicely shortened texts in the forums.

But for proving someone griefed you, well, it's an aid but on its own I would argue insufficient evidence (I'm a criminal defense attorney, I think that way *grins*). Definitely save the raw logs; they can also be altered, but not quite as easily. And demonstrate your honesty over time, so your word as to the unaltered nature of your log is more likely to be accepted. (for an off-topic example, I could have had 2 ribeye steaks for 12 cents tonight since the butcher scale misprinted the label. I promptly handed the meat back and had the butcher use the working scale to charge me my 16 bucks .... ).

All that being said -- all hail Gilresk for writing such a fantastically useful, easily used program! *hugs the gray Sslik even though he's in near-permanent hibernation*

-Levity

Thread Information