• DWARF

3 12.00%
  • HALF-GIANT

1 4.00%
  • TIKI TORCH

5 20.00%

Thread: Aziz Light!!! (Lamps on Plots)

Default Aziz Light!!! (Lamps on Plots)

The devs are considering adding lamps to player plots. Lamps are very expensive to render, so there needs to be a limit on plots. but because of how plot structures are managed on plots, there can be only one model

Below are the choices for lamps.

Please vote the one you like:
    1 - HUMAN 1 - human_light_lamp_post_reg.agf
    2 - HUMAN 2 - community_lamp01.agf
    3 - SSLIK - sslik_lamppost.agf
    4 - SARIS - saris_lamppost.agf
    5 - DWARF - dwarf_lamppost.agf
    6 - HALF-GIANT - halfgiant_brazier.agf
    7 - TIKI TORCH - light_torch_tiki_small_n.agf

Last edited by Yfelvik; April 3rd, 2018 at 11:55 PM.

Default Re: Aziz Light!!! (Lamps on Plots)

Really love the name of the thread, by the way.

Someone watched 5th Elelment 1 too many times.. But here's a question... why can't we have them all? I like most of them, so therefore I can not vote on just one. The only one I do not care for issss...... well, I like them all. There is one vote option missing.

All of the above: Check

We're going to get crazy and separate the light source from the lamps. Lamps will be placed separate from light sources. This will allow you to have as many lamps as you like on your plot. The plan is to have four placeable light sources, which can be placed inside the lamps, or anywhere you like, such as above a fountain.

The survey will be left open, because it's always interesting to see what aesthetic people like, but the new plan is no severe limitation on unlit lamps, and then the ability to place four light sources.

If you really wanted all the lamps lit up, though, someone can make a simple mod so that the plot lamps have an attached light source.

I like half-giant, human2, and tiki torch. If I had to pick just one, probably the tiki torch, since really it would fit on any style plot.

Dwarf and tiki-torch I like best.

Vote goes for tiki-torch
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Yfelvik View Post
    We're going to get crazy and separate the light source from the lamps. Lamps will be placed separate from light sources. This will allow you to have as many lamps as you like on your plot. The plan is to have four placeable light sources, which can be placed inside the lamps, or anywhere you like, such as above a fountain.

The survey will be left open, because it's always interesting to see what aesthetic people like, but the new plan is no severe limitation on unlit lamps, and then the ability to place four light sources.

If you really wanted all the lamps lit up, though, someone can make a simple mod so that the plot lamps have an attached light source.
    Not sure I like this new plan. I would love to see at least 6 - 8 usable light sources on a plot. especially if it is a very large plot like 100x100. sad to see only 4 being allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Malicore View Post
    Not sure I like this new plan. I would love to see at least 6 - 8 usable light sources on a plot. especially if it is a very large plot like 100x100. sad to see only 4 being allowed
    Sadly due to the impact light sources can have on lower-end systems we need to put a cap on it. The old choice where only one lamp would be chosen through the poll would have the lamp itself limited to 4, now it is unlimited for all lamp styles, but only 4 light sources per plot.

If after observations by lower end systems in areas heavy in lamp usage shows no adverse affects we can consider increasing the limit.
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

Out of curiousity, has anyone tried them yet? Did you notice impact on performance? Should limit be pushed further than 4?

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

I refused to vote since as usual, gnomes got nothing.
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

I suppose voting is over. I would say I like the Saris lamppost. I went and constructed a "light source". Looks like a 4 sided light bulb. Kinda ugly. Anyway my "light source" sank into the ground and only the very top sticks out. Is it supposed to do this? I looked at night to see if it lit up my plot. As far as I can tell, only the ground it is buried in is lit up. Slimey on Order. Plot is at Darvus on Scorpion Island

Hey Slimey,
    lightbulb is the building stage for the Light Source. You can double-click Lightbulb, and it should open Construction Window. Once compelted, the lightbulb model disappears and light appears. You can decon it from Completed Structures list. lightbulb - building stage doesn't provide light.

There are many lampposts available now on plots, not Saris only.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

I seem to be missing something on this.. I built the stand alone light source (looks like a 4 sided light bulb). It does nothing but sit inside the ground on my plot at Darvus (Scorpion Island) on Order. I placed it beside my blacksmith shop but only the very top shows. Since it was doing nothing, I placed a Gnome lamp on top of it. What is the purpose of the stand alone light source? It does not light up my plot. It may light up the hole in the ground where it sits. I can always decon it but the form cost 2 gold pieces for what purpose? Thanks. Slimey on Order

Normal light sources such as the lamps have no actual light they will emit on a plot. You must also construct a light source and place it on them. You are limited on how many light sources you can have on a plot.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Lighting that is given by a light source also automatically turns off during day. A good example is in Kion. There are many light posts that give off light, but you won't see that during day or even semi-dusk time.
    A good example of if the time of day is correct (night), is you should see light (purple-ish) surround portals.

You can alter the time of day, locally, with /st 0 36000 to make it pure night (that'd be the best time to really test lighting given off by light sources). That command will force game clock to be 1:00am. You can verify Istaria time on the mini-map. I'm not 100% sure on the exact times the lighting source triggers on/off (begin/end).

It should give off some light to nearby objects and ground. Also make sure the option is enabled in client Options. The last checkbox "World Lights" should be checked.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; November 18th, 2018 at 07:43 PM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I can see the lights in towns like Kion. They look great. I have lights on and effects on. At night with moon overhead, I look at my two lights and my "light bulb". They have no lighting to them at all. The Saris lamp does glow slightly. My neighboring plot has trees (I think autumn maples) and they glow with light better than these lamps. The "light bulb" shows nothing since it is in floor. Slimey on Order
    ps: I may still have something turned off in effects but the towns show real good.

Hey Slimey,
    I took a look at your plot. I didn't see lightbulb, and I saw light at night. Could it be cache issue? Could you try clearing cache?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...118_204442.png

I can see the light as well: https://i.gyazo.com/6fa9fd87faa25e4e...3353fb8c90.png

It is likely cache issue if you don't see something similar at night time (or force night with /st 0 36000).

You should not see the lightbulb on ground (as you do in my screenshot). That should only appear in "Under Construction" mode. I have a special setting turned on. But normally that lightbulb will disappear after you complete construction. Try clearing cache (Clear World Cache box) once, in Configuration button on Launcher.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I will try it. Thanks for the answers. Slimey on Order.

OK. Tried. When I enable background effects, all I see is the orange glow of fall on sky and all the buildings and all the ground. The fall maple tress on Heather's plot are brighter than my two lamps. The light bulb still shows about 1/3 above ground even though I have a gnome lamp on top of it. So nothing has changed. I might as well destroy the lamps and place maple trees. Thanks. Slimey on Order

Thread Information