Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blighted Items

Default Blighted Items

What if Blighted items weren't called "Blighted" and didn't have the funky green look.

1) Rename Blighted Items to be something else... Artifacts? Barasavian?
    2) Create formulas that are missing
    3) Power up the items so that they can have 1 more tech slot than normal crafted items.
    4) Make blighted formulas have charges so that they wear out and must be replaced.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; April 23rd, 2018 at 03:44 PM.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Blighted Items

"6) Make blighted formulas have charges so that they wear out and must be replaced."

The formula itself wear out and have to be replaced or the item it makes?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    "6) Make blighted formulas have charges so that they wear out and must be replaced."

The formula itself wear out and have to be replaced or the item it makes?
    The formulas. So after making an item from the formula N number of times the formula would be consumed.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I don't think I am alone on this one, but since blighted items aren't in high demand to begin with.. I don't think anyone will be too keen on a formula vanishing from their craft list is going to go over well. Now I have seen other changes made to the game that later wreaked havoc on other things that were similar. So all I can imagine atm is.. going into my knowledge base and finding out that some of my important forms got bugged due to this new addition and deleted themselves in place of the blighted form, or become completely unusable. (shivers at the thought of how many times a good intention, has gone wrong in this manner)

Now 2nd thing: what happens to all the blighted forms, we have already spent time collecting and already have scribed?
    Last edited by Malicore; April 23rd, 2018 at 09:55 PM.

1) Renaming blighted items sounds good, I like the idea of naming them artifacts, gives a bit of character to the item similar to when the broken items were introduced.

2) filling in missing formulas - yes please.

3) 1 extra tech slot would make the items more appealing but they might still need some slight stat upgrades in order to compete with the broken/epic items. extra perks are cool, but most players look primarily to the base armor/damage ratings of items. If these can be competitive then these items may actually be more widely used.

4) formula charges? no thanks. don't the items themselves already have charges? the biggest problem with blighted items was always that the charges wore down and made the item useless, which made players afraid to use them and they ended up getting permanently stored or discarded. needing to create blight cores to craft the items as well as the other resources, as well as the recharge kits, seems like enough consumables without having the formulas themselves also being consumable. Having a really nice item with randomly generated techs wear out and become useless is highly undesirable.

Do changes 1 through 3 and remove the charge wear down on the items and they would be far more appealing.

Increasing the stat gains and some of the percentages is also part of the plan.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about blighted items and charges. Yes, they have charges and yes they wear down, but they can be recharged without any side-effects. Originally when they were recharged the max charges dropped, but that was removed years ago (at least 5, if not longer).

Lore-wise, I always envisioned blighted items to be the result of desperate peoples experimenting with using resources from the Withered Aegis against the same, in hopes of finding anything that is effective against them. It is an inexact science, hence the randomness in stats of the objects created, etc. I also envisioned blighted items to be something mainly used by lower levels, to give them that little something extra to use, on their way up the ranks - with fully rated characters ending up with Broken or Epic items.

To that end, here is my take on this:

1) No need to rename blighted items - they are crafted by Withered Aegis, or from WA resources - so the name is apt. DO change the textures, however, please.

2) Filling in the missing forms - Absolutely, but you could do something like add 1 or 2 at a time and announce that, 'So-and-so has discovered how to craft blighted <item>, and is willing to share his secret!".

3) With the randomness of how buffs/debuffs are added already, I don't see a need to add a tech slot, unless you could figure a way to add the slot randomly also. Maybe it could work like this (for example): I decide to make a blighted long sword and want it to have the one-handed slash tech. So I gather the tech comps along with everything else and craft the sword, adding the tech in the item creation window. However if the 'roll' doesn't allow for a tech slot, the sword is crafted like any normal blighted item is, and no tech (comps are still consumed). On the other side of that same coin, if I make a blighted item - and don't try to add a regular tech - there is a random chance that an empty tech slot is added without notice to the player. The player can then attempt adding a tech kit to the item, not knowing if if it will 'take', or not. If there is not slot for the kit, the kit is consumed...

4) Formulae themselves decaying - No go here. The whole premise with the formula system is that you scribe it in a process that allows you to 'learn how' to make the items in question as far as I see it. To make formulae 'disappear' would be counter-intuitive in my opinion.
    I agree with Garrick that blighted items involve enough consumables already. As far as the matter of a blighted item's max charges eventually counting down to 0, you could possible add a system to 'repair' the item, so that the item can be reset to it's initial max charges and reused again. In fact, maybe you could even work up a system whereby in the process of repairing a blighted item, there could be a (small) random chance that the repair alters the item, so that it no longer needs charges at all....at which point it could become an 'artifact'....and changes textures, etc.

Just throwing ideas out, here....

Just read your post, Amon. It's been so long since I played with blighted items, that I thought max charges still counted down. Bear that in mind, when considering my post above. lol

Right behind you when you're not looking!

The "extra tech slot" is just an extra random effect, so instead of 3 random effects, it now has 4, as every random effect takes up a tech slot.
    Light covers night, night fades, when it does, storms come. ~Storm Dragons
    Currently Getting Coppers, gaining Silver, making Gold, Pursuing Mithril!

"Aegis Artifact" sounds good.

I like that they will be more powerful.

Don't mind the formula having charges, however, how many charges would it be? I know in the past I would make 100+ blighted spiked claws, and might save 5, and likely only get 1 that's actually decent (Life Striking I always saved).

So, if the items will come out much better, so no +2 hand slash on a shield, or +1hs on a 2hs sword, junk like that. If they come out better, and the charges count allows for X number of decent items, wouldn't bother me if the formula decayed in that way. But would hope to get a few decent items before it went kaput.

(Haven't had chance to read the whole thread, will add more thoughts later once I can read it more thoroughly.)

Hi,
    about the blighted armor and weapon i think its a nice idea at all but making the the formulas wear out i think is a bad idea as it is hard enough to craft them due to tonns of materials needed to have a chance to craft a thing we woul want to use/keep needs to craft some hundreds of it and keep it up with charge kits. placing the missing formulas in game i would appreciate and may think about to make tier 6 ones which may have a chance to get near epic stuff or even better so that its worth the effort of time crafting and keeping it up with recharge kits.

Chajanum Siamun (Chaos)

P.S. possibly it could be intresting to raise the base damage of the blighted weapon abit so it could be intresting even with negative buffs on it.

They removed the negatives from blighted weapons a ways back didn't they? Seems i vaguely remember something about that, though my memory not the best for sure.

I agree with guaran that Aegis Artifact sounds good.
    remembering about earlier thread about blighted items that may have a chance to obtain a technique, if it goes like that may those being usable for those kind of crafts only, then i think it would make more sense in making the formulas to wear out.

Currently, dragons are...not lacking in build options - because you have hybrid, full melee or full caster - but the stats on t6 scales are pretty cookie cutter. With t5 scales you could focus -entirely- on dexterity, or entirely on focus, etc etc. T6 scales on the other hand have just two sets, which you then use all of that one set or mix and match (then figure out techs, crystals, etc). Biped t6 jewelry is in a similar situation.

This would be, I think, a good chance to give both bipeds and dragons some more armor options. Make the sets equal stat-number wise (as in, 50 strength vs 50 dex. Same amount of stats, different stat). It would be nice to have a stretch goal to further customize whatever setup I want to run, instead of being stuck with just two different scale armor-type options for dragons and the...I think biped t6 jewelry really only has one 'type', and it just gives a truckload of different stats? I can't recall. Basically training points but for armor stat allocations.

I'm quite sure this will never happen, but I'd love to be able to craft armor that has a certain amount of stats it can have - say, 500 health. But I can allocate that number however I want. if I want to have a scale that only gives 500 health plus whatever techs, and crystals if it can take 'em, then I'd be able to do that. Or I could make it to have the same stats as other scales/pieces of armor on the same tier if I wanted, or tweak it a little so this or that stat is slightly higher/lower. Conversions would be based off how many Training Points a stat is worth to a character.

Please assist me in my dream to make the fattest, laziest dragon with ridiculous amounts of health and nothing else.

To throw another idea in about these kinds... what if there was blighted tools which may have charges and makes it possible to craft a number of special teched weapon or armor? The charges on tool when run out may cannot be recharged. the tech randomly generated on the tool and when crafting a weapon or armor with it will apply that tech listed on tool to it.
    Chajanum Siamun (Chaos)

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The formulas. So after making an item from the formula N number of times the formula would be consumed.
    I Love all but the quoted idea and hears why .

Manufactured blighted items take multiple times to get one with out bad side-effects or to get an acceptable one with damage conversion ( Not to make it harder on me but this also why crystal shaping has not taken off too well one of the reasons anyway ) that you want last time I attempted this took about 100 tries making Deconstruction and checking to make a full set of this will take about 2 too three days .

Other issues with this are you run the risk of off balancing the broken items the drop rate for the pieces are abysmal to begin with , so why am i going to spend endless hours fighting when i can make a cheep nockoff blighted item ? Granted broken scales and weapons are far Superior to standard items and are just below epics items .

Blighted items are kind of like a specialty Item used in specific combat situations Like for example my one claw Ice striking emerald tip dragon claw I have It was a drop but I only take it out if I fight on Island of fire for comp hunting in this situation my Kpm is onpar with the Blood Talon but use it on any other combat situation and you'll wind up eating off a death-point somewhere .

So i agree you need to have a cost with this but to make a form have a Number of times to use ... I cant get behind this my forms if i go away on a break sometimes go mia and i got to rehunt them anyway its a real pain
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Why do they have to be "blighted" or be related to the Withered Aegis? I guess thats one thing I was driving at with my post. Calling them Artifacts and dropping the greenish texture, suddenly they are just general magic items to be collected.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Why do they have to be "blighted" or be related to the Withered Aegis? I guess thats one thing I was driving at with my post. Calling them Artifacts and dropping the greenish texture, suddenly they are just general magic items to be collected.
    To me the reason why items like this are called blighted predates the WW1 WW2 time period, where soldiers would clam the weapons of there slayed foes as trophy's , Some governments gave extra points towards discharge or promotions so they can study the enemeys weapons and armaments.

So the term blighted to me anyway just means that i lifted the formula and or weapon off my slayed foe nothing more than an identifier
    Last edited by lightning claw; May 14th, 2018 at 01:36 AM.
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Why the are blighted... culd be because of a gnomish experiment failed and they got conterminated with chaotic energies like the greenish liquid from the ruined structure in old rachival.
    Chajanum Siamun (Chaos)

Thread Information