Thread: Wanting to create my first game

Red face Wanting to create my first game

So I want to create a video game (pc/mobile) but I have no idea how to start. I don't have much experience coding and have been learning from sites like udemy on general coding, but I don't see this ties with actually making a game. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could provide any advice/resources that could point me in the right direction. I really like the teaching styles of the courses on udemy/online-like where I could pace myself.
    Thank you!!!!

Default Re: Wanting to create my first game

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineC View Post
    So I want to create a video game (pc/mobile) but I have no idea how to start. I don't have much experience coding and have been learning from sites like udemy on general coding, but I don't see this ties with actually making a game. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could provide any advice/resources that could point me in the right direction. I really like the teaching styles of the courses on udemy/online-like where I could pace myself.
    Thank you!!!!
    It's always nice to see people who are interested in the game design field, it can be really daunting when first starting out, but there's plenty of ways to go about learning the field!

I always suggest Udemy for finding lessons, as well as checking out bundle sites that offer book bundles like HumbleBundle (EpicBundle is a great site that gives you a nice overview of all active bundle offers and lets you filter them as well).

However, when it comes to where to start when it comes to "making a game"....that's a tougher question, most importantly you'll want to find a field to focus on, programming, art, or specificly designing (think: writing down all documentation on why you want a thing, how you'll go about doing the thing, what benefit the thing will have in the player's eyes, etc), though if you want to go the "one-man team" route it helps to look at all of these, but do find whatever you are most comfortable with. It also helps to know what engine you want to use (Unreal 4 and Unity are the powerhouses for the indie devs lately, though there's plenty of other choices as well)

Sadly when it comes to courses I can recommend from personal experience there's not that much focused on the general field, as most of the things I've bought have been art related, but I feel the following give at the very least a good overview:
    Become a Game Designer the Complete Series Coding to Design/
    Master Unity By Building 6 Fully Featured Games From Scratch

I hope I at the very least helped you a little here, if you have any questions at all regarding game design please don't hesitate to ask them!
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

I actually took the grandfather of all coding game language Python Interesting to make simple games to get your feet wet ( Note if Python chooses you you will LOVE that language if it dose not choose you you will curse your sole )
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

IMHO a good place to begin is:

a) With Unity3D. There are lots of tutorials and free to use assets as well as code to use and learn from.
    b) Modding existing games to learn how they function under the hood... Unreal or others.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Is it easy to branch out from Unity3D if you decide to switch to something else after a while btw?
    These are the best protein powders for building muscle on the market.

Thread Information