Thread: re: account security = false

Default re: account security = false

Lets make sure you folks have the proper info, so you aren't feeling out of place and falsely believing something is secure, just because you are told so.

Start with: Anyone that can tell you their internet site is "Secure" is lying. 2 words that do not belong in the same sentence are "Internet" and "Secure" so don't get a false sense of security when you hear these words. It's is impossible to be have a "secure" site. If you have any account on the web, someone knows or will figure out a breach. This is what hackers do, they find ways to bypass security.

If you use things like the "Cloud", you often hear about how secure it is.. False, and the so called secure cloud has been breached many times. So if you insist on using internet sites to back up your important data, be aware that it is and always will be available to the hackers and eventually, the public.

This includes Istaria. So please be more careful how you word this game in terms of Security. This is one of the least secure places on the web. Just because you say it is "Secure".. doesn't make it so.

This is just an FYI. If you have any useful info to add, please do.

Note: This is not a personal attack on Istaria, but people need to know the truth behind claims such as these, so they can make better decisions when creating accounts. Just trying to keep you better informed.

Default Re: account security = false

Like all things related to security, the point isn't to make something impossible to access - just difficult and not the most likely target. For example, you have a front door on your dwelling. If you have a screen door with a basic latch and your neighbor has a steel door with a deadbolt, your screen door is more likely to be broken into. We'd like to remind everyone that one of the important ways to ensure security across the internet is to ensure that you use a unique login and password for every site you visit. In case you didn't get our email, some players recently had issues where they used the same password across many sites. Please see the following link for the full details: https://tinyurl.com/ybp5n2sl

Quote Originally Posted by Malicore View Post
    Lets make sure you folks have the proper info, so you aren't feeling out of place and falsely believing something is secure, just because you are told so.

Start with: Anyone that can tell you their internet site is "Secure" is lying. 2 words that do not belong in the same sentence are "Internet" and "Secure" so don't get a false sense of security when you hear these words. It's is impossible to be have a "secure" site. If you have any account on the web, someone knows or will figure out a breach. This is what hackers do, they find ways to bypass security.

If you use things like the "Cloud", you often hear about how secure it is.. False, and the so called secure cloud has been breached many times. So if you insist on using internet sites to back up your important data, be aware that it is and always will be available to the hackers and eventually, the public.

This includes Istaria. So please be more careful how you word this game in terms of Security. This is one of the least secure places on the web. Just because you say it is "Secure".. doesn't make it so.

This is just an FYI. If you have any useful info to add, please do.

Note: This is not a personal attack on Istaria, but people need to know the truth behind claims such as these, so they can make better decisions when creating accounts. Just trying to keep you better informed.
    Malicore ,

What you say is partially true but your personal bias and cynicism makes this more of a rant than a warning .
    First Let me lay down my credentials so you know where I am coming from. I am a MCP ,A+, ccna, and ccmp Through Cisco .

Fact Nothing on the internet is 100 % Secure this is correct Man made the internet man can break through the internet .

Fact Not all " Hackers " are bad there are 4 levels of hackers
    White Hat (The good guys dedicating there time energy and money to making the net a better place)

Black Hat ( The bad guys bent on stealing information bank accounts and personal funds )

Gray Hat ( Since we are in an mmo form im going to borrow a term from this genre and call these guys Chaotic Neutral, They don't particularly like attacking web-sights and if you leave them alone they will leave you alone but if you mess with them...have your visa card handy because you will be buying a new computer .

The 4th I don't know if you can actually call them hackers because they do MUCH more damage then they intend to make very flashie entrances and often times don't know how to access the dark-web How ever i call them "script kitty's"

Fact True black hats and script kitty's are after a "quick score" and tend to shy away from things that will land them in jail. The longer the intrusion the more likely of being traced and captured . ( Yes I know the argument here is set up a bounce pattern but most bounce patterns can still be traced back to point of origin with a bit of time.)

Fact If Istaria uses 256 k bit encryption for there web-sight and game .
    Breaking a symmetric 256-bit key by brute force requires 2128 times more computational power than a 128-bit key. Fifty supercomputers that could check a billion billion (1018) AES keys per second (if such a device could ever be made) would, in theory, require about 3×10^51 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space.

So going back to point 3 Hackers don't like staying inside a system long because they can and will be caught

Could a Hacker get lucky and stumble across the key to the encryption before exhausting it absolutely is it likely NO.

Fact "The Cloud has been breached " Yep it has . It's Originally a concept by Microsoft with different flavors of security For Oracle, Amazon, Google ( Harder to break and they will come after you hard and fast) and what ever other flavors are out there . Anything that Microsoft makes is swis cheese. However in there defense 2 points 1. At least there not dumb enough to go to Defcon and say we made a "HackProof" system ( Cough Apple Cough ) 2 Microsoft actually will Hire people that break into Microsoft cloud systems after they pay some of there time is served. Microsoft will Partition the courts to commute there sentence and remove some of the restrictions placed on them if there willing to work for Microsoft as a security advisor I believe its like for 5 years or more Not too sure on the length of time.

Fact Https is 128 bit encryption and
    In HTTPS, the communication protocol is encrypted using Transport Layer Security (TLS), or formerly, its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). The protocol is therefore also often referred to as HTTP over TLS, or HTTP over SSL.

So where your technically correct about NOTHING is safe on the net ... You are correct , But the object of security is to make it difficult and make you stay longer so you can be caught.
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

"What you say is partially true but your personal bias and cynicism makes this more of a rant than a warning .
    First Let me lay down my credentials so you know where I am coming from. I am a MCP ,A+, ccna, and ccmp Through Cisco ."

This wasn't about being bias or the use of cynicism. It was to let people know that the terms, were incorrectly used. Istaria is basically safe for one reason and one reason only. It's not a highly sought after entity, or a viable target. It wouldn't take a decent hacker more than 5 minutes to get inside. Take internet explorer now, not a major target of hackers on the web, because of it being phased out. So atm, because hackers are diverting attention elsewhere, IE is considered more safe now than 3 years ago. That doesn't mean it's more secure.. In actuality, it's quite the opposite, but again not the main target.. such as Istaria. No, not all hackers are bad. I never said they were. I was simply warning others that security here and nearly anywhere on the internet gives a false sense of security, I want them to be more aware. Also, I was more referring to the game and it's database, rather than the websites. there's a major difference. The servers do not run on HTTP, or HTTPS. Firewalls are the main issue here and other games/programs out there. Also a lot of so called hackers these days aren't even considered hackers (script kiddies) a totally different class, that do things just because they can find and use other peoples programs, scripts and other utilities to get into games. Much better games get hacked quite a bit, but they are also more updated and highly sought after. Also keep in mind that this game has been hacked before, not just once mind you..

I used to be a hacker many years ago, I don't need an explanation of what classes exist. Plus you also left out a lot of other info that would more-so prove my point (that's biased). Like I said this was not an attack on Istaria. It's a more accurate awareness for the people that are left thinking they are safer than they are. This statement doesn't and never did apply to only Istaria. I left it as a much broader band that seems to be left out of your statement

As I stated, this is just an FYI. But thank you for adding in more info, that the people can also look at and decide what they feel most safe using. It is much appreciated

Something that would help is allowing for longer length passwords and TOTP second factor authenticators, ala Google Authenticator (which is free).
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

Thread Information