Thread: Some thoughts on Istaria, Earth and other things

Default Some thoughts on Istaria, Earth and other things

I can't remember last time I posted there. Should be long ago.
    And yes, sorry, if my post is a wall of text.
    Istaria was my first normal MMO. Not one Russian pay-to-win (one guy spending ~10,000 $ on shiny armour) or...well...simplified Runescape. First normal MMO. Quests, experience points grind, choosing right class, crafting school, joining Guild, helping and being helped. Experiencing impressive moments like Dragon's rite of passage - always a festival for everyone. Ranting in game, like "Dryads are tasty in chocolate" or about Lunus and Helians...or even "fight" between my Motherlode Harvesting League versus Save Motherlodes At All Costs (MHl vs SMAAC)....
    Being with my Guild, the Universal Soldiers. Spending so many time with them, keeping really good memories.
    Helping others: be it one impatient Dragon or unknown player's plot.
    Multiclassing, multilevelling, enjoyed such ncie views like that famous frozen lake. Enjoying in-game humour. At least, enjoying standing in New Trismus and asking if anyone needs help.
    It was there that I started blogging my own experiences - initially on one website, later - in my personal Wordpress blog.

Time passed. Istaria became sometimes easier (like when they removed dual-metal requirement for some ingots; public storage in public facilities), sometimes - harder (like New Trismus besieged by hordes of enemy). Some players entered, some left. Each class finished, each school done - grinding xp became harder, but I still enjoyed things. Like ninja-helping some plot. Feeling joy when some building appeared, almost all thanks to me.

One day I discovered Middle Earth. Initially I thought I could cope with two games at once, since Istaria is primal. Well, things changed, I started to live in the green fields of Middle Earth, initially under same Naktieskarys nick. As time passed, I felt less and less wish to play Istaria. Middle Earth, army of grinders-toons became my home. My new Kinship, new friends, tons of activity.

Recently I thought about returning to Istaria. To see how things are, are there any plots that need help, is my Guild still alive, maybe they continue owning Indestrucatble Fiyakis.

And at such moment I read about f2p changes. That was a surprise. Big one.
    Free players cannot advance past lvl.15, which concerns crafting a well.
    Free players (past lvl.15, i presume) cannot finish quests.
    Free players cannot use public storage buildings due to theft. Later they promised that "grandfathered accounts" (past lvl.50?) should be able.
    Before that - free players should log into their account once a month and confirm they are active (gues no other game does so).
    I understood there would be nothing to do. Town marshall quests ("go, get 10 grulet heads") was one of primary sources for my toons. Now it's gone. Crafting was nice, especially when I aided plots and advances crafting - now it's gone (after lvl.15). And being unable to use public storages means almost dead end to efficient crafting. I felt game world is almost closed for me, me being free player.

It was like "Dead end" sign. There were no reasons to reinstall game, to try it on my old town (if it is still there, i.e. not deleted). Could be fun to use skills, kill grulets or golems, even talk to someone...but that's all. Life in limited demo was not for me. Life in the best f2p model was something I could boost to anyone.

I am not sure if my toons are still there, not deleted by system. I am not telling "i leave, cry for me, Istaria". it's just...understanding that world would never be the same and my home belongs to other MMO with second best f2p model.

Our ways probably part from there, Istaria.

End of ranting.

Default Re: Some thoughts on Istaria, Earth and other things

Quote Originally Posted by anonimas View Post
    I can't remember last time I posted there. Should be long ago.
    And yes, sorry, if my post is a wall of text.
    Istaria was my first normal MMO. Not one Russian pay-to-win (one guy spending ~10,000 $ on shiny armour) or...well...simplified Runescape. First normal MMO. Quests, experience points grind, choosing right class, crafting school, joining Guild, helping and being helped. Experiencing impressive moments like Dragon's rite of passage - always a festival for everyone. Ranting in game, like "Dryads are tasty in chocolate" or about Lunus and Helians...or even "fight" between my Motherlode Harvesting League versus Save Motherlodes At All Costs (MHl vs SMAAC)....
    Being with my Guild, the Universal Soldiers. Spending so many time with them, keeping really good memories.
    Helping others: be it one impatient Dragon or unknown player's plot.
    Multiclassing, multilevelling, enjoyed such ncie views like that famous frozen lake. Enjoying in-game humour. At least, enjoying standing in New Trismus and asking if anyone needs help.
    It was there that I started blogging my own experiences - initially on one website, later - in my personal Wordpress blog.

Time passed. Istaria became sometimes easier (like when they removed dual-metal requirement for some ingots; public storage in public facilities), sometimes - harder (like New Trismus besieged by hordes of enemy). Some players entered, some left. Each class finished, each school done - grinding xp became harder, but I still enjoyed things. Like ninja-helping some plot. Feeling joy when some building appeared, almost all thanks to me.

One day I discovered Middle Earth. Initially I thought I could cope with two games at once, since Istaria is primal. Well, things changed, I started to live in the green fields of Middle Earth, initially under same Naktieskarys nick. As time passed, I felt less and less wish to play Istaria. Middle Earth, army of grinders-toons became my home. My new Kinship, new friends, tons of activity.

Recently I thought about returning to Istaria. To see how things are, are there any plots that need help, is my Guild still alive, maybe they continue owning Indestrucatble Fiyakis.

And at such moment I read about f2p changes. That was a surprise. Big one.
    Free players cannot advance past lvl.15, which concerns crafting a well.
    Free players (past lvl.15, i presume) cannot finish quests.
    Free players cannot use public storage buildings due to theft. Later they promised that "grandfathered accounts" (past lvl.50?) should be able.
    Before that - free players should log into their account once a month and confirm they are active (gues no other game does so).
    I understood there would be nothing to do. Town marshall quests ("go, get 10 grulet heads") was one of primary sources for my toons. Now it's gone. Crafting was nice, especially when I aided plots and advances crafting - now it's gone (after lvl.15). And being unable to use public storages means almost dead end to efficient crafting. I felt game world is almost closed for me, me being free player.

It was like "Dead end" sign. There were no reasons to reinstall game, to try it on my old town (if it is still there, i.e. not deleted). Could be fun to use skills, kill grulets or golems, even talk to someone...but that's all. Life in limited demo was not for me. Life in the best f2p model was something I could boost to anyone.

I am not sure if my toons are still there, not deleted by system. I am not telling "i leave, cry for me, Istaria". it's just...understanding that world would never be the same and my home belongs to other MMO with second best f2p model.

Our ways probably part from there, Istaria.

End of ranting.
    The free to play limitations doesn't hit grandfathered accounts. (this includes the no-quests and no-xp limitations, the storage limitation is only up till level 15, if you sub for a while, get past level 15, and then revert to f2p you can use storage)

Now a grandfathered account is an account that was made during the old F2P system, where it was only human, but unlimited gameplay, those characters specifically still work by the same mechanics.

So if your character is old enough, it's likely that you can still play as you originally did.

Grandfathered free accounts were inadvertently affected by the change, originally. But it was not intended and has been corrected, now back to normal use. If you choose to return, those accounts should be completely playable as they were before. Log in, give it a try and see for yourself. I personally play 2 grandfathered free accounts with no limitations. I also have payed accounts.

Your guild is alive and well on the Order shard.
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

Thread Information