Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftable Usless Items

Dreadwing

Default Craftable Usless Items

Title got your attention huh? =P

And its not a false title, I'd like to see AE introduce craftable items that have no viable purpouse!

Why?

RolePlaying :)

I'd absolutly love it if AE would make a few dozen items that can be crafted by both bipeds and dragons that have no hoard value, cant be sold, cant be equipped cant be stacked, dont drop and are otherwise usless.

A few examples:
    Priceless Rings
    Magical Orbs
    Talasmans
    Crystal Chunks
    Unique Ore/Resource Formations
    Miniture Sculptures
    Metalic Figurines
    Shaped Candles
    Mythical Feathers
    Spiritual Bottles
    Sentiant Weaponry
    Marbles/Jacks (or other minature playthings)
    Pearls (or other valuables)

Now when said item is created its created as "Unnamed Crystal Chunk" with no information nor inscription. Bulk of 1, stack of 1. The creater of saiditem can then open up the item details and rename it (perminantly) to whatever he or she desires, as well as adding a (perminant) inscription.

Example of a use:
    Tarra the hatchling has just finished her rite and is trying her wings for the first time. The matriarch of her guild/clan/tribe flys up next to her and hands her aCrystal Chunknamed Dragon Tears with the inscription :: A pice of crystal in representation of a dragon's tear. Usually given as a sign of new beginnings and bright futures.

I know many people who wish they could create a unique item for whatever occasion. Its not equipable so you wouldnt have to create a 3d mesh, just a 2d image. No effects, no abilities, just a usless item =P

Humans andhalf-giantscould make marrage rings, sslisk and dryads could make annouciation feathers, the possibilites are endless ^_^

Even on the non-role play servers, I bet some of them wouldnt mind creating "good job" rewards to show off.

Things to remember:
    - The inscriptions and names must be perminant, since they cant be consigned or pawned with no value, you'd only have to do a temporary name change while they're in trade windows so people dont try and make afeather and sell it as a mithrill sword.
    - They should be easily made by just about anyone. Tiers would be fine, you could use that ingenuity skill thats currently useless to make them with.
    - Tiny weight, DONT stack.

Later on you could adapt buildings to have a "mantle" where you could hold, maybe, 5 items like crystal sockets. At this time you'd actually create full 3d meshes to proudly display them in your home.

As always, this should not take presidance over the more important tasks like ballancing and bug hunting but it would definatly go under the "increased content" section for whenever ^_^

DeeDubya-

Default Re: Craftable Usless Items

Interesting..I would have use of something like this, and I am sure it would be taken up quickly by various guilds and such..
    100 Scout / 100 Armorer / 80 Sorcerer

Another use would be for 'Scavenger hunt' games. Where teams would get these 'tokens' as they go from hidden spot to hidden spot. We used to have to collect a dozen cleric skulls, and a number of other 'useless' drops to be able to hold a scavenger hunt.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

The only problem is the game does not allow us the option of "hiding" something under a tree or bush. We cannot drop items. The only way the scavenger hunt could be accomplished would be by using a connie or pawnie or an existing storage structure that is open to all. Otherwise, a scavenger hunt would be wild.

As far as to crafting of these items the major problem would be the current number of forms already in the game and the number of forms many already have. To add to these numbers would lower the number of future useful forms that could be introduced. Eventually there has to be a finite number of possible forms.

With the soon to be introduced "blight weapons", "furniture", "dragon lairs" you can see already that the number of available forms in the game will rise quickly. Care would have to be taken to insure that the "useless" items you ask for do in fact have a use whether in lore,gameplay or for use in role-play.

Anyways that is my take on the subject! [;)]
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

Dreadwing

Dun matter, make one form that contains all the crystal items, one with all the rings, one with all the feathers ect.

As I said, they should be easily craftable so if push came to shove you could designate an alt for some of these forms. Not only that but any dragon could easily scribe them. Combine every dragon scale, every spell and every resource form a lv 100 dragon crafter can use and you still fall drasticly short of the 750 item max.

Shove comming to push, just ask a dragon to craft you a few unnamed useless items no?

No the scavanger hunt dosent work in any way unless you get a dozen people to sit around and hand them out like halloween candy while a dozen more attempt to find them.

This idea came to me when I was attempting to plan a RP event for my guild. I thought of a dozen things that would be really neat but came to the realization of how lame it really would be to find common, non-unique items off monsters and stuff. If I asked them to go to a location and ask another player for a "rareglowing orbof power" and they went to their vault and pulled out a glowing essence orb, it would be kinda dumb no?

Dranar

It's a wonderful idea...

Myself what I think these could be are actually "Trinkets" or items made with "Ingenuity" that can be potentially useful for skilling on (they have a salvage value and such, but they are made like Imperial resource parcels and do not use a making skill, jut the refining skill related to the material) too. This would make some items more rare (And thus have more value in being inscribed and made) due to some not being able to make them, Dragons could still make a part of the items (Those involving Metal, Stone, Gems, and Ingenuity) as their material could be useful, plus the items could be crafted and salvaged for skill or for use as a "Useless item" That is a prop.

Of course, then they no longer really become "Useless" are they? Heh, but having an item that could help miners and gatherers skill up a little with definitely wouldn't hurt (Their experience could be similar to makeing an Imperial Resource parcel... Which is, well, better than nothing but not all that much. :) ).

Just my thought and addition to that. Though I would love to see such things regardless, right now I regularly carry around hoardables as props, and I'm a dragon! My temptation to hoard them is so high, heh.

~Allon / Dranar

Dreadwing

For the most part i wanted them to be "useless" so they were easy to impliment.

Perhaps that would work more as a secondary effect =P

That is a very nice idea. You can already customize items but not permanently. It would be great if we had permanent inscription plus crafter name at an item of chosen look.
    Meaning with istarian army knife for example you can make a ... hm name, this type of item from a formula, you choose the icon pic from what we already have as pics ingame = many things and its done as a simple item you could consign too but non-stackable. You could create pieces of papers with poems for example too or little stories, could use it as a one-time-book-replacement. I love that idea!

Horizons Empire

That would be great. [:D] I'd really like to see some way to modify the exterior of buildings - change the color of the roof tiles, put ivy on the walls, different tile patterns on the Saris buildings, etc.

Oh, and put in a fireplace. With a rug made from the hide of Fang the Tormentor in front of it.

Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

???

Horizons Empire

the helian has a point there should be stuff like that basically for hoarding
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

Dreadwing

No offence ment Otter, but what in the world dosebuilding exteriors have to do with my suggestion? >.>

You must understand if this thread starts naming a dozen diffrent ideas and gets hijacked to explain all these things no dev will bother trying to weed through all the non-sense =P

This reguards to dangit's wheaties thread ~_^
    http://community.istaria.com/Web/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=27275

Anyway, I didnt really want them to be hoardable, I wanted them to be RP trinkets, gifts and rewards or the like, something you can give your mate or best friend or guild leader or used in more elaborite story plots to enrich the experiance ^_^

I also didnt want them to be consignable or pawnable, I wanted them to be virtually useless so if they have a pawn value of 0, you cant put them up for consignment; thus making it possiable for the item to have a perminant inscription. At the moment if an item goes up for sale or trade, its whiped of all its custom properties (for it was being used as an explot to sell one item as another).

AE's development team has one hell of an imagination and im sure you all could come up with some awesome ideas for RP toys. I know I'd be able to have fun with them on the first day (finally be able to replace that obsidian statue I gave to my mate with a real trinket ^^).

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadwing
    No offence ment Otter, but what in the world dosebuilding exteriors have to do with my suggestion? >.>
    Craftable item with no useful purpose. :-)

Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Crissa

Inscriptions have been lost to trading for over six months, and names were removed from objects in trades about six months ago.

The biggest problem with giving space to create or write things down gives the writer a chance to do harm or libel via the game's system, which is just so much un-fun., Why do you suppose they took out the ability to drop objects in UO?

Anyhow, having a set of objects one could craft or purchase for gifts would be terrific. I'm totally in support of that idea.

-Crissa

(Owner of more than a few 'useless' objects)

I also didnt want them to be consignable or pawnable, I wanted them to be virtually useless so if they have a pawn value of 0, you cant put them up for consignment; thus making it possiable for the item to have a perminant inscription.
    Isn't pawn and consigner value different from each other? I thought so from the numbers I saw at warcry what stuff is worth. But of course you are right if it's just basic value plus percentage for consigner and pawn.
    Thought if the basic value is 1 copper, who would create this in tons when it is not stackable and does not give xp to pawn it? Crafting it needs ressources too I would say so nobody would go through this trouble making it for one copper?

Horizons Empire

Dreadwing

From what I saw on patch notes a long time ago, about the novian resoucesI beleve, said that it was given a really low PB value (1cp) because if it has a PB value of 0, then a consigner wont accpet it.

I may be wrong and ifits possiable to pawn it without making it consignable, then I'm all for it, I just didnt think it was (easily) possiable.

Crissa, I have no idea why UO stoped doing drops or whatever, I never played it, I play HZ and I know why they removed item inscritption/custom names here ^_^

I do think the devs are smart enough to come up with a simple way to prevent the exploits, I just hope they like the idea ^.^

Shouldn't be a problem to mark it as custom item, like start+end the name at consigner always with * no matter what people write and give it simple item type or so. It can't mixed than with other things.
    And since the inscription is permanent plus the item shows the crafter name entering harrasing/abusal stuff wouldn't work either I think.

Horizons Empire

Dreadwing

...like start+end the name at consigner always with * no matter what people write...
    Could you say that in a diffrent way, I read it 3 times and I still dont understand it o.o;

Thanks ^.^;

As "useless" as these items would be, I find myself wishing I could make them.

It would be nice to have the option to make a mantle or trophy case, then place these items on display for everyone to see.

Make things feel a little more "lived in."

...like start+end the name at consigner always with * no matter what people write...
    Could you say that in a diffrent way, I read it 3 times and I still dont understand it o.o;

Thanks ^.^;
    Sorry. ;)
    I ment the name of the item is always shown with a suffix and prefix of * no matter what people name it, as we already had for teched items once, so everybody knows it is not a normal item and can't buy it for something different.

Horizons Empire

Thread Information