Thread: Still holding out hope for an eventual griffon race

Default Still holding out hope for an eventual griffon race

I know if it happens, it won't be for a looong while. That said, however, I still think it would be a boon to this wonderful game. Istaria is an amazing game, but the races available can be found in other games. True that this is still the only MMO where you can play a dragon, but you can play dragons in single player games.

To be clear, I am NOT putting this game down in any way. I love this game! I am simply suggesting another first for Istaria, another claim you can have that nobody else has.

Has anyone ever seen a game where you can play as a griffon? I've seen them used as transport mounts and enemies and animals, but never as a player race.

Aside from that, griffons are, from my amittedly limited knowledge, in the top listings of popular (western) mythological creatures. You guys have dragons already, and I know unicorns are extinct (taking it as Canon even if it was a joke :P lol) and horses are mythical creatures (or so I hear, taking it as Canon) so no pegasi or hippogriffs (traditionally offspring of griffons and horses). Given that hooved animals can't grab things with said hooves anyway... Well you get the idea. Yet another reason! Griffons have claws that can grab and use tools! Lol

Anyway, I think a new four-legged race would be pretty cool. I know it won't happen for a good long while if greenlit, but I hope it will at least be considered and eventually a reality. You could easily limit the flying aspect by making new players into hatchlings who have to earn their flight as dragons do. Griffon chicks wouldn't even be able to glide (if you go with the straight jump from hatchling to adult, and skip the fledgling stage) due to how bird feathers work. Once they could fly, you could still have them be better on the ground than the sky, if keeping dragons as the masters of the air would be a problem.

As to crafting, lairs, classes and such. I did have suggestions for those in a long buried thread which I'll dig up in the morning. Maybe I can think up some new, better ones.

Why I decided to type this out while half asleep, I'll never know. O_o goodnight...
    Last edited by flamestar; October 25th, 2018 at 05:36 AM.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Default Re: Still holding out hope for an eventual griffon race

Is it obvious I regret having missed the massive events resulting in freeing the satyrs and dryads from the Withered Aegis? My previous suggestion of griffons being a hidden race on an undiscovered island taken over by the Blight and undead still stands!

Ok really logging off for bed now...

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

P.S. I didn't count Ponyfinder as a "playable griffon" game because it's a pen & paper tabletop (offshoot of Pathfinder), and my other examples were video games.

If you want to use a more unusual looking spelling of the name, it's "gryphon".

And if you do want to use three stages of growth like dragons get, instead of "hatchling, adult, ancient", you could go with "hatchling", or "nestling", "chick", "cub", or something else entirely, which would be their flightless stage. Then it would go to "fledgling" which in a bird is when their flight feathers come in but they're not yet fully grown. The most they would be able to do here is glide. They wouldn't get true flight until the "adult" stage.

As for magic for their spells... In the myths, griffons love gold. They mined for it and were said to act as treasure guardians. But I'm not sure if that would be too similar to the dragons' hoard mechanic, so... That bit will need some thought.

As for lairs, you could go with caves like dragons or big nest-like structures on mountains, cliffs, and/or giant trees.

Crafting and classes.... Still thinking on those....
    Last edited by flamestar; October 25th, 2018 at 04:39 PM.

I am sure, someone might just create a mod and replacing the dragon model textures with gryphon textures.

Btw Gryphon is not unusual at all. Wikipedia says "The griffin, griffon, or gryphon (Greek: γρύφων, gręphōn, or γρύπων, grępōn, early form γρύψ, gręps; Latin: gryphus) is a legendary creature" so basically gryphon is the greek transcription.
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

True, and mods are great, but I still think an official addition would be awesome. Also thanks for the name info.

Thread Information