Thread: Confusing Numeric System

Default Confusing Numeric System

I was talking with a few of my friends who play with me and I realized that two of them have been reading statistics and abilities incorrectly and it lead them to believe that there were issues with either items or builds when there weren't any. The problem stems from the rather confusing way that the game uses percentages. For example, if I use an ability which does 110% damage, that means the ability does an additional 10% damage. It doesn't mean that the ability does roughly double damage. This is where the confusion starts to set in, as most people read 100% as doubling and 200% as tripling (where in Istaria, it actually doubles).

It could be helpful to simply start stating the actual increase in damage/statistic instead of adding it to a base of 100. So instead of an ability doing 110% damage simply say it does 10% additional damage.

Does that make sense? I feel as though the current system is unnecessarily confusing.
    -Quiiliitiila

Default Re: Confusing Numeric System

I'm sorry but i would have the opposite problem 110% means times 1.1

however quite often its said as 10% EXTRA damage. This is were the confusion comes from.

think on rent that is extra money, you have to be very care full and clear what is said.

same way the other way round if you have protection it state it reduces damage with 10% or it is reduced to 90%. You just have the care fully read what is said.

I guess it's a colloquial thing then, almost everyone I know sees a 100% increase as doubling but I can see where you're coming from. I don't actually believe I've ever actually seen an item, or ability, which simply states X% more damage (like 10% more or 20% more). I've only ever seen the 104% damage, 110% damage, 200% damage.

I think it can be agreed however, that the numeric system is sometimes confusing and could be simplified if the actual amount was simply and succinctly stated. So if something does 110% damage, just state it does 10% extra damage. If something reduces damage to 90%, state it reduces damage by 10%. I feel like this would make things much clearer no matter where you come from.

Thoughts? Am I alone in thinking this? :P
    -Q

I think it depends how it's written; 100% to me is just normal damage, 200% would be doubled etc. However I do think a lot of things are confusing in Istaria; I'm sure I looked at something a while back and it said "will cause an extra 110%" - the fact it says extra in front of it would then cause me to believe it's actually doing 210% when in reality the item/skill only did 110%, what they meant was it's doing an extra 10% on top of the normal damage. If that makes sense. I feel I've probably just confused things more, but I think it's what you were saying in the original post. I'm also not sure things are consistant but could be making it up; I think some things may do the "extra 110%" labels and others will do the "extra 10%" yet both actually have the same increase. I have no examples though, sorry.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Thread Information