Thread: How to replace the existing in-game music with your own .MP3s

Default How to replace the existing in-game music with your own .MP3s

I've heard the question posed before: "How do I replace the current in-game music with my own?" Well, here's how:

Go to the default install directory of HZ, and look under Resources/sound/music (on my machine it is C:\Program Files\Artifact Entertainment\Horizons\Resources\sound\music). It should not come as a surprise that all of the in-game music is stored here. Feel free to browse through and listen to the music. To help make things easier for you all, the names of the most-commonly used music in the game are as follows...

Battle Music:
    battle_X_loop.mp3 where X ranges from 1 to 7.

Generic ambient music:
    dungeon_4_loop.mp3
    dungeon_mus_01.mp3
    dungeon_mus_02.mp3
    dungeon_mus_03.mp3
    dungeon_mus_05.mp3
    mus_gen_in_darkness.mp3
    nowhere_mus.mp3

Loading theme music:
    theme_loading.mp3

Make note of the filenames for the music you wish to replace. Select the .MP3s you want to use as replacements, and copy them over to your resources_override folder. Rename these MP3s to exactly match those of the in-game music you want to replace.

That's it! Next time you play the game, the client will use the .MP3s from the resources_override folder, that is, the music you want to listen to.

I goofed. Technically this thread should go under "Sound & Music" rather than UI.

Mods, feel free to move the thread, or not.

Dotcher

Well, we'll call it a test of thread-moving then *grin*. No goofs involved at all...

Fridlekh

The other more complicated way to use your own sounds and music is to edit the playlists.

Sound_*.def can be overridden and for any of the defined sounds you can create your own list of audio files. IF, for example, you wanted to create a list of different songs to use while porting, you would do the following:

1) copy sound_music.def to resources_override

2) find the following block:
    Code:
    //theme_loading_music
    {

string name = "theme_loading" float overallChance = 100.0 TSample list sampleList = {
    {
    string filename = "theme_loading.mp3" bool loop = true
    }
    }
    }
    And replace it with the following:

Code:
    //theme_loading_music
    {

string name = "theme_loading" float overallChance = 100.0 TSample list sampleList = {
    {
    string filename = "custom_loadmusic1.mp3" float chance = ##.## bool loop = true
    }
    {
    string filename = "custom_loadmusic2.mp3" float chance = ##.## bool loop = true
    }
    [...]
    {
    string filename = "custom_loadmusicN.mp3" float chance = ##.## bool loop = true
    }
    }
    }
    Added together, the 'chance' numbers should add up to the overall chance (in this case 100%)

3) Copy the custom load music into resources_override

4) Make sure version_info\master_file_list is gone before the game launches. This can be done by starting the game via batch files, or by placing a dummy file in the horizons directory to pause the patcher - giving you time to delte the master_file_list before letting the game start.

If you put the def file in the override directory but in an identical path structure as the one in the Resources directory (including the Resources one in the tree), it should be patch proof and not require the removal of the master_file_list. I will have to try it and see for certain.
    Imayo, Preceptor of Obsidian Order on Order
    Shadowalker
    http://kalex.org

Fridlekh

The def file does not have to be in the same path structure, and will override just fine from anywhere in resources_override. The issue with removing the master_file_list arrises when you want to add MP3s that don't use the names of existing ones. [eg, you want to make a larger playlist than currently exists.]

Thread Information