Thread: Question about Resistance

Question Question about Resistance

In a discussion today it was mentioned that having a +100 Resistance (per a socketed crystal or a rune tech for example) was equal to a total of only 4 damage less. Can someone confirm for me that is the correct reduction amount? Seems awful low to me but I just wanted to get a confirmation. I can't find any statistics about it thus far.
    Last edited by Tanaros; December 3rd, 2020 at 08:59 PM.
    Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Default Re: Question about Resistance

I can't give a specific answer. Resistance is added directly to your armor when calculating how much damage to mitigate. In addition, the combined value is divided by a constant (a value we won't divulge) and then delay-adjusted by the delay of the attacker.

So, the amount that armor/resistance mitigates will vary somewhat from attack to attack.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

On this point, I think it may be useful for some type of official guide or chart to be made which could roughly show the values for a bunch of things in Istaria. Many of the values and statistics are vague and seemingly inconsequential, most of the time because what seems like a high number has almost no noticeable effect. It's especially prevalent in lower level gameplay where you get potions or scrolls which boost X by Y amount and there is quite literally no perceivable affect, aside from seeing the icon on your bar. Should I drink this potion which adds +50 to my strength statistic? Sounds like a good idea if you want to do some more damage in a coming fight, but in reality it does pretty much nothing. It may boost your damage by one point, if at all (speaking from experience).

I'm not looking to get into a debate on the efficacy of potions and buffs, that's a fight I'll never win here, but rather I think it highlights the fact that I, and others who are either new or returning casual players, find these statistics to be confusing and hinder our understanding on how the game works. I'm going to go fight some Withered Aegis, it makes sense to try and boost my blight resistance and guard yeah? But I have no idea if I should spend hours grinding to make gear with those resistances when I have no idea how much they'll help. It's pretty crazy that we really have no way of knowing what are stats are doing. One of my friends has a strength of nearly 100 more than me, yet we both do roughly the same melee damage. Why? What do any of the stat numbers even mean?

Perhaps having an in-game display which shows roughly what your character's actual benefit is from each statistic. Many, if not all, mainstream MMOs have this feature. Often times you can simply hover over a stat or resistance to see it's benefit to you, or a breakdown of what's adding to it. Is that something we could do here in Istaria? I understand that there are other factors which go into getting EXACT numbers, but surely rough estimates could be achieved in order to give players an idea of what they're working with?

Unfortunately the game in its current state cannot really provide that information because of the way the values are calculated. For example, to-hit in many games is displayed readily on a character sheet because it uses information that is easily known (your stats calculated against a monster that is the same level as you). Whereas in Istaria the to-hit calculation takes the target's stats and skills into account which means the to-hit chance would vary widely from monster to monster making it nearly useless to display any values on a character sheet.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information