Thread: Lets talk about common buffs

Default Lets talk about common buffs

Specifically end game, but this can relate to everyone. I feel like I spend 10% of my time in game buffing.

Am I the only one who is obsessed with the new shell/screens being area? This is amazing.
    Can we please get enhances/raises/promote's/true grit/earthen crust etc to be area too. Definitely not gifts/elemental attack modifiers (energy/ice/flame/primal) because everyone has their own personal preference.

I love how you can stack everything now, but it really increased the amount of buffs you need to cast to achieve top tier performance, even if it is a very minor difference in reality. I find it really redundant that when we get into a group in the end game that about 400 buffs get cast before the fight starts. This is especially annyoing for me personally because I run multiple characters and have to cast 45 of the same buffs. (even with hotkeys this can be annoying)

Also the duration is far too short in my opinion, the enhances only last 30 minutes, we all know that 30 minutes in Istaria is the equivalent of someone being like "I'll be there in 5 minutes" then pretty soon you have to rebuff again when they arrive because 25 minutes has past. Maybe gifts should go to 4 hours, enhances 2 hours, raises/elemental attack modifiers 1 hour. I'm not sure there's a reason for the timers to be so short, even make them last until you log out, or they get dispelled via death or otherwise.

A different option would give be to give us an epic buff to get, something we can make with the epic spell cores, one buff to rule them all (well, most), replace gifts/enhances/raises/dragon buffs and have it not stack with the other common buffs.

Please discuss

Default Re: Lets talk about common buffs

I agree which each word, zachy. So does Flame.

Even buffing up 2 drags takes a lot of time (caster/melee).
    Sometimes I send only one- or I m too late and war is over^^
    Searching for e.g.SoG leaves me with buffs running out
    (or searching without buffs- which does not solve the prob^^)- and when group starts fighting- I start to buff up 2 drags ..
    But no idea how to solve this atm.
    Extended duration would be good to start with
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

One concern we have with Area of Effect buffs is when they conflict with other buffs players might want. In the past, there was a struggle with one dragon casting Arcane Refusal while another wanted Ignore Mysticism, but the former overwrites the latter - forcing the original player to manually remove it to recast.

Technically, this can be something we can mitigate by using weights on the spells and 'refusal' conflicts instead of 'overwrite' conflicts, but it can be a bit of an undertaking to review them. Is this a complete list?

• True Grit
    • Promote Vitality
    • Promote Intellect
    • Gifts (As a whole)
    • Raises
    • Enhances
    • X Attack (e.g. Primal Attack)
    • Earthen Crust

To your other points;
    Maybe gifts should go to 4 hours, enhances 2 hours, raises/elemental attack modifiers 1 hour. I'm not sure there's a reason for the timers to be so short, even make them last until you log out, or they get dispelled via death or otherwise.
    There is not a specific reason for them being 30 minutes vs 1 hour other than consistency and 'gameifying' things. It gives you something to do and reminds you what sort of effects you have on your character.

However, saving on log out is actually something we do sparingly due to the amount of space that can take up in our database, trying to save the buffs of 100s of characters, when each can have 20+ on them. (I know you did not suggest this, but just offering the info.)

A different option would give be to give us an epic buff to get, something we can make with the epic spell cores, one buff to rule them all (well, most), replace gifts/enhances/raises/dragon buffs and have it not stack with the other common buffs.
    Unfortunately with how Istaria works, we cannot make item A conflict with items B and C without the latter two also conflicting. Conflicts work by using keywords - for instance, a strength buff might have 'raise_strength'. In order for an epic item to conflict with all buffs, all buffs would need a specific keyword, which then makes everything conflict. This is why we had such a conundrum when we released the Sigil of Ascent originally - we had to make sure no enemy monster had a debuff that was also used by players that SoA could conflict with, as that would cause player debuffs to suddenly conflict. (On the flipside, you now can no longer have those debuffs stack on you, as they share the SoA keyword.)

It's not technically impossible if we add a hardcoded statement for a particular keyword to only conflict with item A, but then we reveal all the design issues of a buff like that.... if Enhance Strength and Enhance Health conflict, which one should the buff give? If we do two versions, then how many hundreds of combinations are there?

Thanks for your thoughts - and do let us know what buffs you think could be AoE!

Now that everything stacks in the raise/enhance line and there are less conflicts with other buffs, these could be area:
    -True Grit
    -Promote Vitality
    -Promote Intellect
    -Arcane Refusal
    -Countercheck Primal
    -Ignore Mysticism
    -Raises
    -Enhances
    -Earthen Crust

I say NO area on:
    -Gifts
    -X attacks (prime, flame, ice, energy)
    due to personal preference and playstyle.

Regarding my suggestion on duration, you mention buffing is "something to do". I mean this is the most lighthearted and carefree way

Casting buffs is not something fun to do, I don't get excited to pay my subscriptions every month just so I can go buff myself. I have plenty of other things to do. Sure, when I was low level it taught me to pay attention and keep my buffs up, and what not. But after many many years, I've pretty much got a handle on that. Now in the end game I mostly hunt epics, I either wait for one to spawn, or have go find another and get the group there. Either option takes about 15-30+ minutes in some cases, by the time someone drops out/joins, we make a game plan etc.

It would be nice to get 2 kills in before having to rebuff the common stuff.

The amount of buffs on characters with 200+ ratings from mastered buffs and all the questline buffs is staggering, keeping up the good ones is time consuming enough. Again, I mean no disrespect here. I love this game and appreciate all the hard work you guys do making it the best it can be.

all signed, zachy!
    just to emphasize: No area gifts or x attacs.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information