Thread: Death Point vs. Death Penalty

Default Death Point vs. Death Penalty

I have a confectioner 41 on Chaos. Ambrosia sells (which I can get the EoB to make it) but I don't sell a ton of food. I think food would sell a lot more if it reduced death penalty time as opposed to death point time. What do you think?

Merriweather Honeythorn

Default Re: Death Point vs. Death Penalty

Well, this is late in coming but I think reducing Penalty time is too powerful a mechanism and would trivialize death entirely.

If regular food is still reducing only 10 minutes DP per different food eaten in 5 minute intervals then I still say the reduction should be raised. My feelings, since they reduced foods effectiveness after release, have always been that the reductions on an 8 hour long DP is far too little. If DPs only lasted 4 hours still as they did in beta 10 minutes pft would have been fine but for 8 hours AND having the ability to make Ambrosia ourselves now makes 10 minutes pft obselete. 20-30 minutes pft would be much more palatable, bring a market and purpose to regular foods, and is just far more logical.

I've done the numbers before on the old Tazoon boards as to how much food it actually takes to reduce a DP to zero in the then available food types... If things haven't changed since then in regards to DPTR and available foods then those numbers would be the same and it was NOT pretty. >.<

Default Re: Death Point vs. Death Penalty

Tier IV food is my staple form of income, I don't sell ambrosia, though I will craft it if the person brings me the EoB.

I'm happy for food to stay as it is for the current tiers, though when they introduce tier V food, I hope they don't just add a level cap to tier IV food and make tier V the new base. I'd rather see something more interesting done with tier V food, whether it's better effectiveness at reducing deathpoint time, or added effects, ie if there was a tier V formula for beer, maybe it could have a random +/- effect to dexterity, as well as removing a couple of minutes from the death point time.

At present there's enough tier IV food to remove 1 hour and 54 minutes of deathpoint time every 10 minutes. This can add up so that over the course of an hour, an adventurer can easily reduce their deathpoint time by more than 12 hours. In a way it's a good thing that confectioners don't have the range of JM formulas compared to Beginner, because otherwise deathpoint time would become a joke if the level 80+ adventurers could remove much more than the current 2 hours every 10 minutes.

So in conclusion, once you're making the tier IV food you'll sell a lot (typical day for me involves an income of around 60-80 silver, very good days it can be as much as 400 silver). The effect of existing food shouldn't be changed in my opinion, however I hope that tier V food proves to be something slightly different from existing food [:)]

Thread Information