Like the stories of most, mine is not a pleasant tale. I ask not for pity and sorrow after you find out what I have gone through, but I ask that you recognize the strength of all Istarians who have endured pain like I have. In a war of immortals, we fight on, pain everlasting, memories eternal. Take comfort in the strength of your allies, for they are all we have left in this hellish nightmare we live. With that said, my tale begins...

I am from Selen, a small town in the southern region of Aradoth. My true parents are unknown to me, I was abandoned at birth. I was taken in by a humble family who had also adopted an older fiend that I came to know as my sister, Valkyrie. Together, we managed to enjoy a somewhat peaceful childhood amidst the war with the Withered Aegis. Our father began to teach us the ways of the Warrior, as we would always need to be able to protect ourselves as best we could should the time arrive. I had hopes that I could one day become as strong and revered as he was; loved by family and townsfolk, a true role model for Val and me. Mother was as gentle as a summer's rain, always reminding us that no matter how boyish we looked holding our zweihanders; we should always carry ourselves as young women. It was a little difficult for a 9 yr-old to act like a lady when you're covered in mud and grime from a nice workout in the forest, but I tried nonetheless. As kind-hearted as Mother was, there was a layer beyond the smile that showed a fierce dedication to her family, she would let nothing come between us. For the short while that I knew it, life was good...

However, our time of peace was horribly shattered during a nighttime invasion of our hometown. The Aegis swept through like an angry fire, determined to destroy all in its path. The sounds of explosions immediately stirred me from my sleep, and I jumped up from my bed to look outside and see what was happening. My senses were overloaded from everything going on around me; I couldn't focus on any one event. Homes burning, people screaming, arrows and magic flying in all directions. Everywhere I looked, I saw death and destruction. I looked on in shock and disbelief as I saw the parts of bodies that resembled my playmates only hours before. I wanted to close my eyes and scream, and then I felt a hand grab my shoulder. Instinctively, I turned to attack, but realized it was Valkryie telling me to get away from the window. We headed downstairs to grab our things and help Father defend our home. He stood outside, just a few feet from the doorway. Standing firmly against their attacks, he cut down warrior after warrior, never giving an inch. I was mesmerized as I watched him. His shield deflected arrows that I couldn't even see. His body moved with such swiftness and grace that it looked as if he was dancing in place as he held off the soldiers. Slowly, but surely, the Aegis began to get the advantage as they wore down his energy. He was fighting a losing battle, but his determination and resolve never wavered. He looked back for only a moment as he shouted for us to flee, which unfortunately gave the opening that his opponents needed to drive a sword straight through his heart.

Frantically, our mother took us by the hand and ran as hard and fast as she could to guide us to the outskirts of the town. The shock of her sudden pull caused Val and I to both drop our swords, but we wasted no time trying to pick them up. Run as we might, the soldiers were quickly gaining ground. The grip on my hand tightened as Mother ran her fastest while trying to drag the two of us to safety. I looked back and saw the soldiers moving closer and closer with every step. Fear and desperation overcame her, and in a defiant act of heroism, she released our hands and turned to face the attackers. Grabbing a broken sword and shield from a fallen soldier, she ran directly into their ranks, using herself as a distraction to buy us enough time to escape. She was no match for their warriors, and they instantly overpowered her. She knew she couldn?t beat the Aegis and nothing she could do could deter their forces. Still, she struggled against them. We ran, but were soon separated in the confusion and chaos. I tried not to look back as I heard her screams while the Aegis continued their playful torture. Tears streamed down my face as my mind envisioned the terrible things being done in the distance. I couldn't take it anymore, and finally looked back when I ran a few houses down. I saw a giant beast that stood as tall as a house, brandishing a huge wooden club. He loomed over mother, and in one swift motion, he brought his club down on her. The sound made when the club connected was horrible, my entire body went numb. The remaining life that she had left called out to me and told me to run away, and the club was brought down again. I cursed my small body for not having the power to save her as I ran away. The only thing I could do for her was pray that it would end soon. I fled into the forest, running as far as my legs would carry me, until I finally came to a small stream.

Out of energy, I fell to my knees in the water, struggling to regain my breath and continue to run. It was only a moment before I felt the ground trembling as the Aegis continued their pursuit, determined to slaughter everyone in the town. I tried to stand, but I was too weak, and fell to the ground once more. There was a sudden calm around me...the entire forest was silent. The trembling had stopped. On my hands and knees, I opened my eyes, only to see the reflection of an Aegis soldier standing behind me. Time stood still; the water seemed to stop moving and his image was crystal clear in the reflection. I thought of my home and my family, and stared at the image looking back at me. There was nowhere I could go, nothing I could do. A numbing feeling rushed through me, and the water began to ripple and quickly turn red. I slumped down, a long sword driven through my back and into the riverbed, pinning me underwater. Death wasted no time in taking me away.

Somehow, I opened my eyes again, but things were different from what I remembered. I was standing in a large and empty room, and when I looked down, I noticed that I had changed. No longer was I a child, but a young woman. I was lost and confused, how did I "grow up"? What happened to all of the time from when I was a child until now? Where am I, and how did I get here...what happened to my home? Where is my family...what the hell is going on? I stood there, frozen for a moment, trying to fill in the gaps with this lost time. In an instant, memories flooded my mind. I could see everything that happened on that night as if I were reliving the very moments. I saw faces of the townspeople, frightened at the sight of this massively powerful army who was destroying the town. I saw mother and father fall at the hand of these demons all over again. My heart sped up as I relived the moment of my own death, and all went blank. Then the memories repeated themselves...again, and again. It was too much to bear, and I couldn't hold on. Hatred and helplessness swelled inside of me, and I finally let out a tremendous scream. I fell to my knees in tears; I didn't know what to do. After a few moments, I came to my senses and walked outside. A man in vibrant white armor was waiting, warmly smiling at me. Before I could say who I was, or ask what happened, he introduced himself as Ryson Stormbringer, and explained to me that I was part of a group of people who shared what's known as the "gift", a side effect of a ritual performed long ago. He then began to tell me the history of the Aegis, and more about the war that I didn't know as a child. He then explained that The Gifted are essentially immortal, but all have the appearance of adults, regardless of their state at the time of death. Something to do with my current body showing a reflection of my soul. I was still somewhat confused, but realized that I had very little choice in what was happening around me. I asked him about my family, and if they shared this same fate as I had. Unfortunately, my parents did not have this "gift", but I learned that Valkyrie in fact did, and had gone through this same ordeal quite some time ago. Ryson then pointed to a long hallway, and stated that the way to the other gifted souls lies within. The hall was full of trainers of various sorts, from cooks to warriors, mages to tailors. It was such an overwhelming feeling. A large, circular structure that was filled with some type of liquid slowly hovered up and down at the end of this hall. Ryson said that I should step into this device after I have prepared myself, and my journey would begin.

I wanted to find Valkryie, but I knew we were still at war. Since Father had taught us to use a sword, I decided to continue that path of study here. I then began to expand my knowledge, and went from pure weapons-based combat to understanding the mystic arts of Istaria. It became apparent to me that this enemy possessed immeasurable combat skill, and knowing just one art wouldn't be enough. A personal quest for revenge led me to become obsessed with knowledge, wanting to have every possible method of destroying the Aegis at my disposal. To this day, I continue to train, finding new ways to excel in combat. I care not for fame and glory, but only to return the favor to the bastards that did this to me and my family. During my training, I heard a rumor of an orphaned warrior fiend named Valkyrie that lived in the Far East, so I traveled there to find her. Upon my arrival, I was quickly able to locate her, and was immediately overjoyed when I realized that this was in fact my sister.

Though I was happy to finally reunite with my only remaining family, my soul remained heavy. I am still haunted by the images of my father's battle against the hordes of the undead; the shrieking screams of my mother as she fought against fate to give us hope for survival, and the smell of my burning home forever in my mind. I can still feel the intense heat of the flames that scorched our village. I see the reflection of my assailant every time I close my eyes...his face unmoving, with a stare that could pierce the soul. My body has changed since that fateful night, but a scar on my back remains, a constant reminder of what was done to me and countless others at the hands of this vicious army.

I did not ask for this life; I was a mere child. Now I am forced to live a life where I cannot forget, cannot move on, and until this undead horde is permanently destroyed, I cannot know peace or rest. For my family, my friends, and my home, I will make certain that every single minion of the Withered Aegis army is torn apart.