From a post Pekka the Mage posted here www.f4g.net/vb/archive/index/t-54332.html

*Note: I have no idea how old this info and whether or not the Stewards still say that entire blurb. The original post is dated January 27, 2004.

Tutorial Areas

Ryson tells you, 'Greetings and salutations, Gifted one. I am Lord Ryson Stormbringer, and I am a Knight of Creation, dedicated to our Most Blessed Lady of Creation, Istara. I am here to serve you as your guide through your acclimation to your newfound powers. I am sure you have many questions to ask of me... the first of which probably being why you are here. Well, by Istara's Hands, we will cover any and all questions you might have. First, though, I am guessing you might want to know what it means to be one of the Gifted, yes? If not, then by all means -- set forth into the Great Hall and shape your destiny.'

Ryson tells you, 'Indeed -- the very reason you are standing before me now is evidence of your possession of the Gift. You see, there are those of us in Istaria who have been given the ability to circumvent the process normally associated with death. Those who have this ability are said to have the Gift... hence why they are referred to as being Gifted. No one ever knows that they have this ability until it is... tested, as it were, within us. Usually, this comes in the form of an untimely passing, often through not-so-gentle means. You have died somehow... though your soul and your physical body have not departed for the Realm of Spirit as it should. Instead, you stand before me, about to enter the Great Hall of Learning. You are close to the discovery of your true destiny... this should be an exciting time for you! Well, there is the fact that you just recently died, but really, that is such a minor point now compared to what lies in front of you!'

Ryson tells you, 'This hall was constructed shortly after the incantation of the Ritual of Life Everlasting, the source of the Gifted's emergence in Istaria. The purpose of this hall is to assist you, Gifted one, in learning about the new world you will find yourself in, and what roles you may wish to fulfill. Beyond me in this hall are trainers for the various basic professions you may engage. There are two roles we all play in this world -- that of Adventuring, and that of Crafting You will choose to join one of the schools of either of these roles, or perhaps a member of a school from both. The ultimate decision is, of course, yours; once you learn what the schools have to offer you, and what in turn you will best offer Istaria as one of the Gifted, you may then embark into the world and forge your own destiny.'

Ryson tells you, 'The Adventuring schools are made up of many different professions, with the basic ones serving as a foundation for our society. Adventurers are those who choose the paths of valor and glory, often in the face of overwhelming odds. The basic Adventuring schools are: Cleric, Scout, Warrior, and Mage. For the Dragons, the basic schools are: Dragon Cleric, Dragon Warrior, and Dragon Mage. If you wish to learn more about these schools, then you should speak directly to the trainers themselves. They are here to assist you in discovering what each school entails, and what you might expect from being a member.'

Ryson tells you, 'I recommend you take your time and explore this hall fully; all the trainers here have dedicated themselves to your edification, Gifted one. Once your finished with this Great Hall, you can proceed down the ramp in the back which will take you to an outdoor area where you can further practice your newfound skills. Make sure you speak with our good friend Jeremiah Trueheart when you reach the bottom of the ramp. He will guide you through the second half of your tutorial. From there, your destiny is in your hands. You have the power to make of it what you will. I am more than happy to explain the purpose of this hall again, need you for me to do so. Otherwise, I wish you safe travels and a prosperous future, Gifted one. May Istara's Hands shelter you in these trying times.'

Jeremiah

Jeremiah tells you, 'Greetings, Gifted one. I hope you have learned a lot from the teachers within. The area you now find yourself in is for you to practice what you have learned. Down the hill, you will find resources for you to harvest. Across the bridge there are more minor creatures for you to test your combat skills against. When you are satisfied with your progress and skills, come back up here and use the travel gate right outside the door to take you away from the training grounds and on to your new life in Istaria. Before you leave, however, I have an opportunity for you to get a head start in your new life, if you are so inclined.'

Jeremiah tells you, 'I am glad you are interested in my offer. It is a simple task I am going to ask of you, but one that would mean a great deal to me if you were to do it. All I would need you to do is to take a letter of acknowledgement from me to one of the stewards of the islands you will soon be departing to. By doing this, you acknowledge to the steward that I aided you along your way. You will receive a small stipend that is drawn against my personal fortune. Well, it was my personal fortune, once. Alas, I digress; if you are willing to aid me, then I can give you the letter.'

Jeremiah tells you, 'Why yes, of course, it is my pleasure to aid you in your new found life. This is why I am here, handing out my fortune for all time, sending word to the stewards that ol' Jeremiah is indeed making good on his... pledge, yes, pledge to the Council. Heh, almost spilled it there, almost did. I am a man of my word though, so there you are and here I am! That's all you need to know about that, indeed! Take a letter to someone and receive a hearty bounty for such simple work. You'll help ol' Jeremiah out, now won't you? You will be helping yourself in the process, believe me!'

Jeremiah tells you, 'I am... most obliged, Gifted one. Here is the letter. Simply greet one of the stewards on any of the islands you will be arriving at after you emerge from the travel gate, and they will take the letter from you. In exchange for delivering the letter, the steward will give you a small bounty that you should find helpful in getting started. Also, while you are there, talk with the stewards. They are the caretakers of the islands, located in safe places far from the reaches of the Withered Aegis. They are also a wealth of information concerning recent events, as well as some of the history of Istaria. At any rate, I do not think we shall be meeting again... at least like this. Safe travels to you in your new life, Gifted one.'

Stewards - New Brommel steward used for example

Gareth tells you, 'Hello there, and welcome to New Brommel. Like many others before you, and many others to follow, you have arrived here having only recently learned about your special destiny in this world. Well, let me be one of the first to welcome you to this island. My name is Gareth Ironhand, and I am the steward for this village. Our village here is nestled far from the mainland, hidden from the scrying powers of the Withered Aegis. We are able to train the newly discovered Gifted such as you here in relative safety; when they are ready to join the war against the Aegis, they will most assuredly be ready. It is my duty as the steward of this island village to ensure this.'

Gareth tells you, 'My duties here keep me busy, yes. I welcome new arrivals to the island, much like I've already done. I also am able to help you get familiar with the services our village has to offer you. I also have some knowledge about current events and some of Istaria's recent history, if this interests you any. Finally, if you feel confident in your training and your studies, I can offer you some final advice before you make your way into the world.'

Gareth tells you, 'Well, things in general have been fairly quiet as of late. We're still at war with the Withered Aegis, though there hasn't been a huge battle against them in at least ten years. There are daily skirmishes though, and anyone who wants to cut their teeth against the Undead Horde doesn't have to look very hard to find a fight. The Empire as of late has been taking a more direct role in the war, having shifted focus from years of internal recovery. With a mandate of authority from the races, the Empire has begun to spearhead the drive to reclaim the Frontier from the Withered Aegis. The first step is to clear out the remnants of the Aegis in western Aradoth and rebuild what has fallen into disrepair. Once we push them back over the Great Barrier, then we can take the fight to them in the Frontier. The time of high adventure is at hand, my friend.'

Gareth tells you, 'Ah, yes, the Great Barrier was a grand experiment of the Elves, Gnomes, and Dwarves. These three races erected an enormous wall that divided the continent in two. The Withered Aegis had begun their campaign of terror against the Living Races by sundering the Frontier of eastern Aradoth and pouring through the small isthmus that divides east and west. At the time, those races knew little about their foe. To contain the growing chaos to their east, they all three erected the Great Barrier, hoping to contain the chaos from overtaking them. History now shows how much we underestimated the Withered Aegis; they circumvented the wall, rapidly dividing up the three races and sundering almost all of their lands. We thought it was truly the beginning of the end.'

Gareth tells you, 'If you've not been living in a cave for the past hundred years or so... and believe me, that hasn't been a bad idea at times, then you know that the Living Races have been at war with the Withered Aegis. The Aegis is a force of powerful necromancers from both our Prime Realm of Existence and the horrific Realm of Blight. They control a vast undead army often referred to as the Undead Horde. Up until ten years ago, things looked very grim for us all. They had broken through the Great Barrier, sacked both Rachival and Feladan, all but destroyed Aughundell and had begun a campaign to siege the very heart of Aradoth itself, Tazoon. Well, we stopped the Aegis cold at the Battle of Tazoon some ten years ago, and the tide of battle has swung toward our favor for the first time. With the formation of the Empire of Istaria after the Battle of Tazoon, we have begun to take back what was once ours.'
Gareth tells you, 'Rachival was the home of the Gnomes before the Withered Aegis sundered it some thirty-odd years ago. The Gnomes now dwell in a shanty town they call New Rachival, just outside the western walls of Tazoon.'

Gareth tells you, 'Feladan was the home of the Elves before the Withered Aegis destroyed it, and nearly the Elves along with it. The Elves have refused to rebuild a seat of power, and instead have set up court within the walls of Tazoon itself.'

Gareth tells you, 'After the Battle of Tazoon, the Living Races signed a unilateral peace accord amongst themselves and created the framework for the foundation of the Empire that has sprung up since. The Empire gets its power from the continued support of each of the member races. It is no secret that each race has an investment in making the Empire work, since the Withered Aegis has proven that without a unified front, they will destroy us all. There's still friction between the races from time to time, but the unified effort against a common foe has done wonders in giving the Empire the basis of strength it enjoys today.'

Gareth tells you, 'Well... all I can tell you is that we have a chance now -- the Living Races, I mean. When things looked the darkest, a series of miraculous events took place that gave us a chance to reclaim what was once ours. What we do now is try to live up to the sacrifice others have given us. This 'Empire of Istaria' thing is a bold experiment in cooperation from a group of beings that are notorious for not cooperating with one another. Heh, it's quite the paradox, if you think about it. Still, with the emergence of the Gifted... we just might make it. We can fight back the Withered Aegis and everything they send at us, so long as people like you are willing to champion that cause. How you do it -- that is what you must find out on your own. Good luck, Gifted one.'

Gareth tells you, 'Our village offers the basics in training services for both crafting and adventure. If you are interested in becoming a member of one of the schools, simply talk to the trainer of your choice. Also, remember that the trainers usually offer tasks to do; this is a great way of earning knowledge and a little coin for your efforts. Located here in the village is a pawn broker who is all too eager to trade your items for some quick copper, and a consigner to sell items at a rate you set. An Imperial task officer is on the island as well, should you be interested in work from the Empire itself. Outside the village are various raw resources waiting to be harvested, as well as some denizens you might face on the mainland. We pretty much have it all here, but honestly our island is only really suited for those folks with little worldly experience. More seasoned folks will find more success on the mainland in one of the racial seats.'

Gareth tells you, 'Aye, the main continent of Aradoth is the home of the known Living Races of Istaria. As the Withered Aegis laid siege to our land, some of the other known races were either lost... or worse. It is known that some of the races were either ensorcelled or outright corrupted to fight for the Withered Aegis. These subjugated races as we call them now have their origins on the continent of Aradoth, and other continents not too far from the mainland as well. These island sanctuaries are far from the mainland, where the real struggle continues. Once you step foot on the continent of Aradoth, you too will know adventure in ways you never imagined.'