Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Named Mob Items

Default Named Mob Items

It would be nice if we could have forms to create items from the corpses of named mobs. I presently have a fine mithril maul and mithril mace made from the mined ore of mhedon.

Ideally it would be as simple as using said ore,logs,silk,slabs to make an item with special attributes. But this would be difficult

Alternately you could add loot item drop that can be used to forge an item with random positive stats (similar to blighted equipment) using any existing formulas. One one of these drops would be needed in the hands of skilled crafter. The item droped would have to related to the mob type of course and would have a 100% drop rate.

You could have a range of named imbued scales, weapons and armours.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

gopher65

Default Re: Named Mob Items

You came to HZ from EverCamp right;)?

Seriously though, while this might be cool, it would only lead to the perma-camping of all named mobs. Rather like the Contact-the-Dryad boss mobs that dropped cool items (boars hide mask anyone?).

Or, if you are refering to less extreme items, remember the gold golems pre-merger. Not very many of them (only 2 small spawns), and it was required for many priest school techs. Very bad, and not at all fun.

Although the idea is cool, but many of the working dragon quests ask for the killing of a named mob...
    With stuff like this implemented those named would be constantly killed in the hopes a form was dropped or because they are mass harvested...

Cool idea, but also bad idea...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    You came to HZ from EverCamp right[img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]?
    Nope and from what i have seen of EQ players i find that offenseive.

Seriously though, while this might be cool, it would only lead to the perma-camping of all named mobs. Rather like the Contact-the-Dryad boss mobs that dropped cool items (boars hide mask anyone?).
    Named mobs will be killed any way. This is only for the resource ones which people get asked to kill frequently especially as they are on 30min spawns.

With the stats being random (like blighted stuff) you will get varying degree of quality in the items which will cause more cash to move around.
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy
    Although the idea is cool, but many of the working dragon quests ask for the killing of a named mob...
    With stuff like this implemented those named would be constantly killed in the hopes a form was dropped or because they are mass harvested...

Cool idea, but also bad idea...
    Quite true some tasks do require named mobs however The resource mobs will be killed if they are causing trouble to crafters.

I'll even go out on a limb here and guess future adventure tasks might require the heads of named mobs.

It obviously has flaws which is why i suggested it here for discussion
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Well cutting or chopping of the head of the mobs seems fun... [8o|]
    The resource mobs itself get killed constantly, not only by crafters btw... [A]
    The idea initself should be fun and interesting...

Maybe as a replacementfor the quests something can be created in the line of the Crystalized golem in RoP or the Aegis Lieutenant as 3rd or 4th adventure trainer quest...
    A new and special named quest mob which spawns only when the player with the quest walks near the spawnareaor has a buff...
    And leave the normal named for the form collectors... lol [;)]
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

gopher65

I justdon't like the idea of specific mobs carrying specific items. Like when people thought the granny cap only dropped off the champane elemental. It was camped, and people were stealing the spawn and kill stealing and everything.

Unless you mean all named mobs carrying something like "imbued named mob splinters" or something. So that all named mobs carried the same item (cept different tiers). That would be acceptable.

But the way you discribed it it sounded like you wanted to make a "mhedon Sword of striking" (with random techs and weapons/scales/armor/jewlery/tools/wraps/claws obvious).

Nope the mob would carry a non descript item that could be used to create a weapon with random effects.

It wouldn't carry an item on itself the named mob shard or fragment or whatever would need to be taken to a crafter and turned into an item using existing forms.
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Its a good idea, if i see a named mob ill most likley challange it and pherphaps kill it, just to test it see if there is a challange or see if its any fun loot..

Having named mobs that is a bit of a challange compared to other mobs in the area is always fun, its even better if they have some loot of value.

Like Avatar of Pain wich was very good, and you get excited after beiing able to beat him the first time.. but then you usually avoid him if your alone (even when you know you can kill him).. cause it takes a ******** long time to kill and for what.. the same xp as any other mob with the same lvl (that is atleast 10 times easier) and nothing much special from loot either..

All for advocating better loot from named mobs!! [Y]
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

gopher65

Ah I see. That makes more sense then......

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius
    Having named mobs that is a bit of a challange compared to other mobs in the area is always fun, its even better if they have some loot of value.

Like Avatar of Pain wich was very good, and you get excited after beiing able to beat him the first time.. but then you usually avoid him if your alone (even when you know you can kill him).. cause it takes a ******** long time to kill and for what.. the same xp as any other mob with the same lvl (that is atleast 10 times easier) and nothing much special from loot either..

All for advocating better loot from named mobs!! [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]
    Maybe xp should then be given not for the Rating of the mob, but for the amount of Health Points it has...
    In the case of named mobs it would be 2-3 times more then the normal mobs...

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    You came to HZ from EverCamp right[img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]?

Or, if you are refering to less extreme items, remember the gold golems pre-merger. Not very many of them (only 2 small spawns), and it was required for many priest school techs. Very bad, and not at all fun.
    Camps already exist, they are known as the Satyr isles. Having no purpose to kill or nothing to kill is not a solution to 'camps'. So long as there are static spawns, there will be camps, period.

And what difference does it make whether people are 'camping' the named mobs or they are just walking around untouched because there is ZERO reason to kill them? What advantage is there to that? How does thatmake your play experience better?At least in the first situation named mobs would be givingadventurers something to do and have something to look forward to as a reward from their exploits...
    Vesuvius Veix
    100/100 Dragon of Order with 26+ Million Hoard
    Officer of the Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    "Why am I cynical you ask? Because I have been given little to make me feel otherwise."

great idea.

however trying to add that kind of content is very difficult to the many who don't want that because they're affraid they can't have that.

they want all things the same, for the sake of economy, community, etc.

the Dryad loot is solid proof that uber loot can co-exist and people will cherish. Dryad loot are uber, unique, rare, and they do not have a detrimental effect on the economy, community, crafting or gameplay.those arefacts.

i seriously doubt if any of the lootphobics could find proof, existing in HZ, that such loot/items have ruined the game. they have nothing. they usually resort to EQ/WoW etc and imaginary scenarios over and again.

ZZzz...

gopher65

I have nothing against putting better %chance of good loot on named mobs. Dark Stalkers were a good example of this before merger (B.M.). And as soon as a dev gets around to re-entering the loottables it will be that way again[:|].

What I don't like is having a SPECIFIC item on a SPECIFIC mob. So that if you want that item you HAVE to camp that one mob like in EQ. That is stupid, especially when the mob has a long respawn time (greater than 30 minutes).

I like how the alcohol elementals are. You can get a granny from a beer golem, or you can attack gin&tonic and have a better chance of getting a cap (or more than 1). And because you have a better chance of getting a cap you have a better chance of getting a good cap.

It wouldnt have to be specific to a specific mob, though I wouldnt have any problems with that even if it was. One of the concepts behind playing with hundreds of other players is having to compete with hundreds of other players. People love to complain about the 'horrid camping' of EQ, yet they always fail to emphasize the great amount of satisfaction when you did kill that mob and get a new nifty peice of equipment. They love to fail to mention how that concept gave adventurers prestige and instant recognization when they saw them rather that 'my rating is higher than your rating!'. Also, in a completely random system you have a much smaller chance of getting something that you want. In my opinion, a mix of both would be best.

Horizons has replaced the hunt for loot with the hunt for experience. Camping has remained unchanged, it simply has a new motive...

Vesuvius Veix
    100/100 Dragon of Order with 26+ Million Hoard
    Officer of the Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    "Why am I cynical you ask? Because I have been given little to make me feel otherwise."

In determining Loot, EQ was very much interms of the mob, Quality over Quantity. Horizons is pretty much the exact opposite, Quantity over Quality. Both of these ways have their upsides and downsides. Personally I detest farming, its one of the best ways to get forms and techs, but its not adventuring to me. Its more like crafting. Its actually safer than crafting. But then the idea of camping a mob for 24 hours is equally distasteful.

At the very least a little of both would be better than alot of one. But I'd lovea theoretical system that eliminated the bland mechanical feel to "adventuring" (Camping/Farming) while rewarding the effort it takes to kill the hardest things.
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Well this could work for Named mobs... there are many named monsters that still have no quest attached to them... and these could be used in quests for form drops.

But theway should be, to kill x amount to get the form you seek. Like for the nature tokens, or the Aroah's crystal... those are good quests and can be completed by all when you have reached a high enough level.

So they should add quest to get crystals,forms and techsfor your tier of fighter.
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

Or go one step further... You have to kill 3 named mobs with in a tier to get the uber item for use by the high ranking crafter...and the named don't always drop the item. BUT when they do drop the item they drop it to everyone in the group who did any sort of damage.

That means the names get hunted, leech PLers have to do some damage in order to get the spiffy (unlike dryad event line items) and the item isn't a constrant drop. Should also be limited to one spiffy setup per tier, similiar to Aroah's crystal BUT sticking it with a friend or selling it off should have no affect on whether or not you get it again.

The flood of Aroah's on the market was kinda sick right after they changed how the quest worked... [:(]
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Gliding Frost
    Or go one step further... You have to kill 3 named mobs with in a tier to get the uber item for use by the high ranking crafter...and the named don't always drop the item. BUT when they do drop the item they drop it to everyone in the group who did any sort of damage.
    C'mon if you are 7 people in a group killing a named mob.. you want to get 7 of a fairly rare loot item then ??

If this would be the system the good or even rare loot would soon be the standard that you your grandmother and your grandmothers pet would be using..

If you only get 1 or on a rare occasion 2 of said item.. then you would have to kill a bunch more of this named mobs before everyone in the group would get one each.

With your system you have the group and you kill the mob 9 times... andthe group would have looted totally 21of the item..tell me how this would be good ?
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Merriweather Honeythorn

Actually, a simple solution to make it work and not be exploitable is to code in a 1 drop per character looted clause sorta deal. They did that with the Dryad drops meaning MANY dupes got lost to the unwise, unaware, or greedy looters who tried to take everything off the corpse.

If the devs would just put more quests into the game - class, race, class/race, and open to all specific - with rewards that are instantly usable it would stop the problems of having named mobs with no purpose and prevent an Evercamp atmosphere.

An example, lets say for a class/race quest:
    Your an Elven Spearman and you go to your home of Feladan to converse with your trainer. This trainer specifically gives quests only to Elves who have the Spearman school active. The trainer tells you to do this, kill this, find this, etc, etc and once you are done go back to them to complete the quest. In return you recieve an item specifically tailored for an Elf Spearman. You could even make the quests progressive returning your previous reward to embark on another quest to get an improved version of said reward. Once you have done each quest once that's it. You can't do it anymore.

Now, that's not a very new idea really, there are a few quests out there already that act in this way (or at least use to be before merger [:P]) but what I am suggesting gives people something to look forward to with the Class and/or Race they've chosen for their character. Like the Dragon scales quests from Floating Island; it worked the same way I believe. And of course the quests won't be exactly easy to complete and the items won't be the be all end of of those particular types of items. But maybe with alittle help or strategy you can complete it and for a short time that item will service you well.

For the Dragons you would have quests that would be faction specific. Maybe Helians could finally get the spells they are so lacking in via these types of quests.

It basically boils down to there being a huge lack in named mob uses and any excitement or anticipation that comes with being "special." Fill that gap and it would make the grinding that much more bearable. It was the only reason EQ was so popular... The rewards necessitated the need for the grind so the grind didn't seem as bad and it drew you to doing the grinding. IOW, so long as the higher in levels you got, the bigger and badder the rewards were that became available to you, the more you wanted to level.

Thread Information