Thread: Last of the Iron Fangs - Chapter 4 - In Tazoon

Default Last of the Iron Fangs - Chapter 4 - In Tazoon

Please read and review, and above all, enjoy

Chapter 4: In Tazoon

Ssilmath walked behind the big monster, pulled along unwillingly but irresistably. They had gone into a big swirling circle that stank of magic, and been jolted across reality and to a large pad in the middle of a city. The city itself was beautiful, made entirely of stone, and even the Sslik was impressed by the architecture. The oppressive heat did nothing but add to his much reduced strength, allowing him to follow behind the hard shelled creature that held his rope.

After many twists and turns through the streets and over canals and past thousands of busy mammals, the man arrived at a long staircase going directly up into the wall. Ssilmath's pathetic attempt at resisting only succeeded in getting him drug up the stairs and into a little alcove at the top. The man knocked on a portion of the wall, then looked at the Sslik and babbled at him.

?Just let me go,? Ssilmath growled in Sslik. ?I have done nothing to you.?

The man shook his head and shrugged, the blabbered a bit more at the reptile before turning back to the wall. With a sound of grinding stone, a portion moved backwards and to the side, revealing a passageway. Without a word, the paladin walked in and pulled Ssilmath with him, then pulled a lever just inside the door. With a grind and a final thud, all hope of escape was shut.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?Well, Sir Traflin, what have you brought us today?? a yound elf clad in plate called out, waving to his master. ?An unwilling recruit??

?A replacement for that half giant that died last week,? Captain Unholm Traflan replied, taking off his mask and helm. ?It'll grow and return to strength, with a little help from us.?

?Are you sure, sir?? the elf replied, looking at the underfed and small reptile. ?It seems hardly a replacement for a half giant.?

?Trust me, young Dravin,? Traflan chuckled. ?With a bit of magic and some help from Sir Hyrin, it'll be pumped up from the pathetic wretch it is now to a large, heavily muscled beast. It'll go from being small for a human and become large for a Sslik.?

?Wow, and those are bigger than all but the half giants,? Dravin said, looking at the little reptile again. ?It'll be real strong then, won't it??

?Yes, stonger than most, and if I can do anything about it, healthier and tougher than anything out there,? Traflan mused. ?Even though it will just be a beast of burden, I would like to see it become what it should be.?

With that, Traflan pulled on the lead and took the Sslik down several flights of stairs, to deep below the city itself. After a several minutes of walking, they came to a landing, which lead into a small, sqaure chamber, with several paladins standing guard. Traflan gave them the same story, and then continued on down another long hallway and to an intersection. To the left was the armory, where he would go later, but for now he headed to the right, and into the main meeting room, where he was greeted by several pairs of curious eyes.

?Hey Cap, where'd ye get that wee beastie?? A dwarf called out from his table.

?You find a new toy?? Asked a female fiend, eyeing the Sslik appraisingly.

?Unholm, what is this?? Asked a big, burly half giant, gold braid on his spotless silver armor denoting him as the commander. ?And where did you get it??

?Major Boulderfist, I recieved this Sslik from a Saris that could not take care of him any longer,? Taflan replied, bowing his head. ?It will make an excellent replacement for Igmith.?

?Who authorized you to by another slave?? Major Boulderfist growled. He stood and walked over to tower over the frightened lizard. ?One slip and you could tarnish the name of the Paladins of Tazoon. Nobody is supposed to know about our operations down here, or that we take slaves.?

?My lord, I told the Saris that we would heal the Sslik and teach it to be civilized,? Traflan replied. ?Nobody has found out anything.?

?Good. I had better not find out anything to the contrary,? the major replied, then pointed to a room at the end of the meeting hall. ?Take him to see Lieutenant Hyrin, and get him fixed up. Then attach him to the wheel. We need several new sets of armor made.?

?Yes my lord,? Traflan bowed. Without another word, he pulled on the rope and took the quivering Sslik through the door and into he infirmary. Several people lay there in various states of healing, while a fiend in pure white armor moved between them, casting spells and administering medicine, thin tail twitching back and forth.

?Ahhh...Sir Traflan,? the fiend whispered, nodding to his superior. ?Have you brought me another patient? The Aegis seem to be getting much more aggressive...?

?I have brought you a patient, Sir Hyrin, but not a victim of the Aegis,? Traflan replied, gathering in the rope. ?This creature has spent the last three years in a cage and eating little.?
    ?So, what are you asking me to do?? Hyrin replied, glancing at Ssilmath. ?Feed it and have it work...?

?I am asking you to grow it,? Traflan replied. ?I have seen you make mice the size of gruoks. I need you to make this Sslik large for it's race, not small for mine.?

?But it is already fully grown,? Hyrin argued, looking around. ?I would need to use more than my druid skills...?

?I know,? Traflan responded, moving closer. ?You will have the privacy to use your blight skills. Today, if you want. I need this Sslik to be big and bad, to survive the work we will give it.?

?As you wish, captain,? Hyrin said, a slow smile creeping onto his face. ?Today.?

Ssilmath glared at the two jabbering monsters, though one had a different head than the other, made of blue flesh. From the glances the blue headed one was giving him, they were up to no good, but now Ssil couldn't do anything about it. His hands were tied and still held, and his teeth wouldn't do anything. All he could do was wait and see what would happen.

The blue one nodded and walked towards a door at the far end, and the masked one followed, pulling Ssilmath with him. They passed through a richly decorated room with a big desk. There was a door in a side wall, and the masked one pulled Ssilmath through it and into a large, stone room full of strange contraptions. There were numerous shiny objects on the wall, and uncompleted metal monsters everywhere, the middle of the room dominated by a large wooden structure, a wheel on a shaft. That shaft was connected to others, and finally to a shinty object near a large metal table. What kind of torture device could this be?

Once past the wooden structure they came to a long hallway full of more rooms made of metal bamboo, and it was into one of these that Ssilmath was thrown. He growled at being put back into this situation and offered a prayer to Kass, hoping that the dead godess would hear him and rescue him. But it was all in vain, as the blue headed monster raised a hand and muttered something, casting Ssilmath into a deep, inescapable sleep.

?Ok Hyrin, the lizard is yours,? Traflan said, patting his friend on the shoulder. ?How long do you need??

?Ten minutes tops...? came the quiet reply. ?But it will sleep for much longer than that...in the meantime, go fetch it some food and water...?

?Gotcha, food and water,? Traflan grinnned. He looked back at the unconsious Sslik and sobered up. ?If it's ever found out that I knew you were a shaman as well as a druid, we'll both burn. You have ten minutes.?

?Right...? Hyrin nodded, then concentrated on Ssilmath. He held his hands out at the lizard, magical energy beginning to gather in his forearms. ?One large Sslik coming up, special mix of nature, life augmentation and blight ready made for him...?

?See you in a bit,? Traflan said as he left the dungeon and headed back up to the office.

Ssilmath opened his eyes after what felt like a moment later, though it had obviously been hours. A bowl filled with raw meat lay nearby, and without hesitation the hungry Sslik grabbed for it. Though it would prolong his life, Ssilmath now felt a burning need to eat, as if he had gone through his entire lifes growth in a few hours. After he had downed several steaks his hunger subsided and he was able to stand again, bits of blood on his claws and teeth.

But...how odd was this...he had been moved to another cell. The lock and handle had been just below his chin before, but now was just above his waist. The bars seemed smaller too, though still strong enough to keep him contained. Even the ceiling was nearly three feet lower, within touching distance if he jumped. Why would they move him into something this much smaller?

Footsteps clanked down the hall, and Ssil turned his eyes to look. Three monsters came into view, one masked and the other two with fleshy heads. The one with a bunch of hair on his head and face was a bit larger than Ssil, but the other two were a good several inches shorter. And one of them had a very familiar blue head.

?Excellent work,? Major Boulderfist said, looking the massive Sslik over. ?It's huge. Almost as large as I am, and heavier muscled. When it came in it was a pipsqueak.?

?Yes sir,? Hyrin beamed. ?Do not underestimate the power of nature and augmentation... However, I can only do so much...It is still almost as weak as before, and will need food and work to make it strong again. But now, it will be stronger than before, a worthy slave...?

?Food can be provided, and there is plenty of work,? the Major replied. ?Colonel Longbeard has ordered triple the armor we have been providing. Get it strong, get it healthy, and get it to work.?

?Yes, milord...? Hyrin bowed as his master walked away. Once out of earshot, he turned to Traflan. ?If it will not eat, I can pursuade it...That is not difficult...?

?Tomorrow then, we'll see if it eats what is given to it,? Traflan said, then gestured towards the food bowl. ?It seems compliant enough.?

?This is true...?Hyrin replied. ?Tomorrow will tell. If what you say is correct, then we will have some work to do...?

Ssilmath watched the mammals babble amongst themselves again, then leave. Once they were gone, he sat down, looking around the cell. No way to escape, and less room to move. Without a word or even another thought, he lay down, closing his eyes. No more eating. No more drinking. He'd die happily just to spite these mammals. Slowly, he fell asleep, and began to dream.
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Default Re: Last of the Iron Fangs - Chapter 4 - In Tazoon

Good one! [Y] [Y] [Y]
    Keep them coming :)
    Ular Naga

Proud "Handy Man" of the -Dark Saga-
    Unity Shard

"First i followed the light then the blight, but suddenly nature showed me the path to walk"

Default Re: Last of the Iron Fangs - Chapter 4 - In Tazoon

any chance the rest of the story is finished soon?
    I like it a lot so far :)
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

Thread Information