Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Patcher to test

Fel Tir

Default Re: New Patcher to test

ATI 9800 Pro here, no graphic problems.

Tonight however, could not login. Got an error about not being able to encrypt password. Logged in using normal method and found there was a patch.

Hordolin Awanagin

Getting a popup error message 0 when hitting the weblaunch page
    error details:
    LIne: 205
    Char 5:
    Error: request for the permission of type system.security.permissions.registrypermission, ,mscorlib, version=1.0.5000.0, culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561924e089 failed.
    Code: 0
    URL: https://68.142.64.215/artifact/runga...amp;biote=blah blah

Staff :: Developer

Wed. the 16th-

New Patcher is broken today (and tonight). I'll post up tomorrow or whenever I get a new one up there.

Thanks again for all the tries and feedback so far!
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Ok, new patcher as of Thurs. the 17th at about 6:30 PMMountainTime.

Some of you will find that the single threaded patch is faster than using the multithreaded option. I think this isdue tothe processor's tech; whetherit supports multithreads or not. My athalon 2200+ likes the single thread... and I have a Pentium III 800 that loves the multithread. If your multithread is slow, try out the single thread, you may stick with it.

Another thingto announce is that the first time you run a full scan with this patcher, it may take longer than any times you run it after that.

And a reminder if you're installing this for the first time: When it says please close all web browser windows... it really means all of them :)

We'll still have the patcher graphic problem for those of us that get it, but we're going to concentrate on functionality over aesthetics for the moment.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Magnetic

Hello Illyist, Et All: Ran into numerous and serious issues while attempting to run the test patcher. 1) I received a warning every time I go to the test site about the certificate issuer name not matching the displayed name and must agree to proceed every time. (The cert issuer is Equifax but the name is Horizions). 2) After logging in, agreeing to the EULA and then logging in a 2nd time to choose my patcher method I would receive the following 'Info bar' message from Internet Explore: "Internet Explorer has blocked this site from using an ActiveX control in an unsafe manner, as a result, this page may not display correctly." I then receive an info box with the following three requests: A) Asks if I'm trusting certificates from Artifact Entertainment. (I am) B) Ensures that I have administrator privileges. (I do) C) Asks me to make sure I have .NET Framework 1.1 on my system. (I do) After enabling all Active X controls in IE Security, I was able to bypass the Info bar, but would then receive an error at the bottom of the browser window. When clicked it displays the following error (with details clicked): I have not been able to get passed this point. OS details: Windows XP Pro SP2 IE Ver. 6.0.2900.2180 with SP2 All OS and browser security patches are current. .NET Framework 1.1 with SP1

Illyist,

I've tried to log through the patcher twice now and both times after everything has loaded it says that my password is not correct. Retyped several times just in case and still no good.

any ideas?

Goibhine
    Somewhere between the Sacred Silence and Sleep there is Order -System of a Down
    Let's have a war, clean out this place - A Perfect Circle

Hordolin Awanagin

Today after clicking I Agree for the EULA:

Unable to serialize the session state. Please note that non-serializable objects or MarshalByRef objects are not permitted when session state mode is 'StateServer' or 'SQLServer'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Unable to serialize the session state. Please note that non-serializable objects or MarshalByRef objects are not permitted when session state mode is 'StateServer' or 'SQLServer'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    Stack Trace:

[SerializationException: The type horizons.WebServices.dataAccessLayerWS in Assembly horizons, Version=1.0.1879.29825, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null is not marked as serializable.] System.Runtime.Serialization.FormatterServices.Int ernalGetSerializableMembers(RuntimeType type, Boolean excludeNonSerializable) +868 System.Runtime.Serialization.FormatterServices.Get SerializableMembers(Type type, StreamingContext context) +300 System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.Wri teObjectInfo.InitMemberInfo() +103 System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.Wri teObjectInfo.InitSerialize(Object obj, ISurrogateSelector surrogateSelector, StreamingContext context, SerObjectInfoInit serObjectInfoInit, IFormatterConverter converter) +493 System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.Wri teObjectInfo.Serialize(Object obj, ISurrogateSelector surrogateSelector, StreamingContext context, SerObjectInfoInit serObjectInfoInit, IFormatterConverter converter) +48 System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.Obj ectWriter.Write(WriteObjectInfo objectInfo, NameInfo memberNameInfo, NameInfo typeNameInfo) +515 System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.Obj ectWriter.Serialize(Object graph, Header[] inHeaders, __BinaryWriter serWriter, Boolean fCheck) +738 System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.Bin aryFormatter.Serialize(Stream serializationStream, Object graph, Header[] headers, Boolean fCheck) +136 System.Web.Util.AltSerialization.WriteValueToStrea m(Object value, BinaryWriter writer) +1621 [HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to serialize the session state. Please note that non-serializable objects or MarshalByRef objects are not permitted when session state mode is 'StateServer' or 'SQLServer'.] System.Web.Util.AltSerialization.WriteValueToStrea m(Object value, BinaryWriter writer) +1711 System.Web.SessionState.SessionDictionary.Serializ e(BinaryWriter writer) +148 System.Web.SessionState.StateClientManager.Seriali ze(SessionStateItem item, Stream stream) +146 System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateClientManager.Syst em.Web.SessionState.IStateClientManager.Set(String id, SessionStateItem item, Boolean inStorage) +126 System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.OnRelea seState(Object source, EventArgs eventArgs) +465 System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpA pplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +60 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +87

Got this exact message as well.
    Somewhere between the Sacred Silence and Sleep there is Order -System of a Down
    Let's have a war, clean out this place - A Perfect Circle

Rilramar

just ran patcher. Was fine for me and pretty quick only the graphical glitch but not worried about that..just thought id give small update

Magnetic

I now get the following odd messages and can not selectthe 'Install the active x control' from the drop down menu you see in the screen shot. (The drop down box simply isn't functional nor is the normal SP2 Info bar (normally located right under the address bar).

Goibhnie: Looks like your first errors were fixed if you got to the error after the EULA, right? Probably just hit that when we were updating the web site.
    Hordo: Yeah, that exception thrown error page comes up when the web site is down when it's being updated, so that was expected behavior. Nothing I'm worried about going live.
    Magnetic: We've figured out the problem you were running into and gotten a fix up today. It should be up and stable as of this afternoon for a while, so if you find more give a hollar :)
    Everyone here: Thanks yet again for all your help and feedback. I really appreciate your time.

Oh yeah. And when this goes live the expired certificate won't be a problem either, that's just on our test web site.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Magnetic

I was away for a few days but wanted to say thank you for taking care of those technical issues, works great now. [:)]

Illyist, how can I launch the patcher from command line?
    With the new one I get a message that InString cannot be null.

In the root Horizons directory there is a folder name Launcher. In the Launcher folder is a file, SilentPatcher.exe, that canbe run to bypass the web page login and log in using the last settings used by the web site. (So you have to have gone through the web site at least once.) If you last ran a full scan, you will run a full scan again, and log into the same character you logged on last. There is another SilentPatcher.exe in the root directory that will not work, you have to use the one in the Horizons\Launcher folder.

You will need to use the web page login at least once for each character you want to run from SilentPatcher, it creates a .opt file which has your settings in it when you do this (also in the Launcher folder), and then it looks at whichever one was used last to decide which one to use for SilentPatcher.

Hope this answers your question.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

It seems like I had an older version of the .opt files that didn't work correctly with the new patcher. after logging in from the web site I can now run it again from command line.
    thanks [:)]

Marrek

I would have to say new patcher good idea, continued use of IE and web based BAD BAD Idea, i was truely hopeing you guys would get away from that all together! i guess i was wrong :( maybe next year

The new patcher has passed its tests and is now available at the standard horizons.istaria.com log in site.

Thanks once more to everyone who helped out with this project! Eventually we plan to make a non-IE based launcher of some sort, and this was the first step. In the meantime I hope everyone enjoys a faster patching experience.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Sigh, well we rolled this version of the new patcher back. As QA I apologize for not finding the problem that so many apparently did. I go to tools, Internet Options and go to the Security tab. When there I hit Default Level on each: Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites. I don't have the new MS spyware blocker beta or some firewall software, so I'm not sure exactly how to recreate the problem.

The problem appears to be many people gota message that the activeX controller was not safe, and therefore could not be installed. So rather than have you download a new activeX controller, RunLine.ocx, we've made some changes and have a new version that should only update the launcher.ocx that the old patcher already uses.

If there are some people out there that had the aboveproblem with the new patcher and can try again from the test web site at https://68.142.64.215/default.aspxI'd love to hear how it worked for you. For that matter I'd love for as many people as possible to give it a try tonight. If we have no problems found, we'll roll it live for everyone tomorrow, March 16th.

So far I've heard encouraging reports of download speed and anticipation for the non-browser window Launcher that this lays the groundwork for, so hopefully you all will consider this worth the trouble it's been once it's finished and Live.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Fel brought up a really good point. Since this current version re-uses the old patcher's activeX control, and since this one is more recent than the old one, you'll have a hard time replacing the new one with the old one if you try to go back to the old web site.

If you run into this issue and can't just continue using the new patcher from the test web page, you'll need to delete your activeX control so you can update to the older file with the standard log in page. In your WINDOWS or WINNT folder there is a folder named Downloaded Program Files where you will find the Launcher.ocx file. There you right click and choose remove, then log in with the standard horizons.istaria.com site to get the old activeX control again.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Why was this method chosen to roll out the new patcher? Could it have been rolled out a different way?

I've not tried it since it became part of the live site because there is no need to patch so I haven't logged into the community
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Thread Information