Thread: Tagged Fishing Competition

Default Tagged Fishing Competition

Content Item Name Tagged Fishing Competition
    I had also mentioned this idea in IRC chat, as user Larch previously. Suggestion Purpose/Aim A player based competition as distraction from the horror of war where the player can win a mounted fish and or magic fishing related items.
    Target Players Any player/race who wished to be involved. Quick Description Contestants try to catch a specially tagged fish and win a prize. Open to anyone who catches the marked fish. Tags will soak off after a few days if the fish is not caught. Detailed Description Competition is run at regular intervals and announced globally via messaging system, to a dedicated event chat channel. The competition should stay active for a few days, to distribute the availability of it to players who only get a chance to play Horizons at irregular hours and days. Perhaps every 17, 33 or 42 days or so. This competition is hosted by an NPC Saris on the island of Lesser Aradoth, in the town of Kion. Gathering or fishing type skills are not required. A number of tagged fish are released into the waters around Kion, and the contest is announced. These fish will 'jump' out of the water frequently, to generate excitement, and alert players to their presence. When these fish are jumping, there is a public announcement in the ?Quest Chat Room? with the location, so people can charge over there to try to catch it. These are 'special' fish, and will only be attracted to 'special' bait supplied by the contest organizer. This bait will be given to anyone who pays the entrance fee, and is not transferable to other players. The special bait will decay and vanish at the end of the competition. The contest bait will have to be 'used' before each cast to activate a chance to catch the fish. Dragons could be involved if they 'used' the special bait to get a timed effect equivalent to a rod cast, and waded around in the water. There would be a timer between allowable eating of the bait, equivalent to the rod casting time of a biped. There are three fish released, each with a corresponding prize. 1. The tagged minnow will give a reward of an enchanted, fishing skill enhancing fishing rod. 2. The tagged bass will give a reward an enchanted, fishing skill enhancing fishing rod and a special fishing skill enhancing fishing hat. 3. The tagged Sea trout will give a reward of half the entrance fees collected, and the trout can be stuffed and mounted on a board by the organizers. Forgoing the prize money will pay for a recharge cell powered mechanism in the mounted fish, to make it wiggle and sing/spam a little song when activated. They also get a magic rod and hat as well. The mounted fish will be a must have item when house decorations appear. All these items can be traded/sold/consigned to other players.
    Any "nibbles" from a dev and I'd be happy to supply all the quest dialogues and attempt to code it in the quest competition syntax.
    Thank you.

Arcongello

Default Re: Tagged Fishing Competition

Three fish per event? Is that enough to bother with?

And why would those of us who can't fish under normal circumstances be interested?

Could modify it so that there are a number of fish released throughout the world, contest starts on day 1 with the announcement that the fish are released and where to buy the special bate.

Contest ends on day 3. Players who have a fish that fits into 1 of three catergories mentioned get the reward. If you have 5 minnows you still only get 1 reward. Fish can also be turned in for cash after the prizes have been awarded.

As far as when to have it...I'd tie it in with another event or the end of an event as a celebration type of thing so that there are other things for those who aren't interested in participating.
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

Thank you for the comment. It gives me hope : )

I believe there should be a constant stream of recurring events, happening at different times to keep things happening in the world. Also, people will get to have their names broadcast to the world as a winner. The non fishing people can sell the buff items to gatherers, or simply trade them as rares. This will make a lot of sense when we get the ability to decorate our houses with things. Have you seen the e-bay value of rares from Ultima Online?

Hadn't seen any values...

I know of people who supported themselves through college selling EQ items so I could take a guess though. Although I've been told Horizons items don't have quite the same draw. Hehe guess we could tack on a yet and be hopeful. [:)]
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

Fishing never interested me in life, i doubt it would in a game however many people spend lots of time fishing so many it would attract people
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

I find fishing relaxing, and its really fun to catch a big one [;)]

And fried bass on a sandwich is pretty good, so all the reasons to go fish [:P]

Just wish there was a better system for fishing in Horizons.. there are a few fishing games doing it pretty good.. i know a friend who has those.. would be pretty cool if you actually had to work some with fishing, get the right bait.. pull at the right time.. with chance of the fish missing the bait or chances of the line breaking and so on..

Fishing as it is now is no more interessting than gathering ore or cotton or whatever.. that is too bad [N]

But its good that someone tries to bring in some fun stuff [Y]
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Thread Information