Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Video card question.. hope everyone can give me an answer

Default Re: Quick Video card question.. hope everyone can give me an answer

Sounds like you are having the problem that I'm now having with a 6800gt. Different drivers do not help, but going back to my 5900 Ultra did.I'm thinking either my power supply is overwhelmed by the 6800gt, or there's some new bug in Horizons. I have not tried re-formatting, since every other game plays fine.

I have a second pc that has had no problems at all with Horizons, it currently has a 5900 Ultra init also. I'll try sticking the 6800gt in there today.

Guaran

Thalak

Just a suggestion to exclude some variables:

-someone suggested an ad-ware/spyware scan: very good advice.
    -get a startup list of services and programs, remove or disable extras as needed (msconfig is a good start, but there are better ones)
    -drive fragmentation: get rid of temp files defrag (especially after patch days)
    -get a good temp monitor utility (most boards come with one)
    -check for packet loss on your broadband connection, open ports on your router for hz, power cycle the modem
    -xp sp2 firewall exception rules for hz, or disable it for testing purposes only.
    -optimize your video settings in hz & driver

If you do these things you will definitely be a lot better off getting to the root of your problem. Sounds like its a combination of things and not strictly power related.

Never use msconfig to work with services because it allows you to disable services that your computer may need to boot. Use (start-run) services.msc instead.

I found this site to give very good info about the services installed with XP and how necessary some of them may or may not be..
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

If you are suggesting msconfig to check startup entries for bogus stuff, better util that covers startup registry entries as well as other things is Hijackthis.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

this utility allows you to see several area of the registry that are commonly "hijacked" by spyware.

Lists:
    Browser helper objects. ( meant for useful things but malicious ones exist)
    HKLM...Run registry entries for current user, all users
    Startup folders for current user, all users, non-standard services, and some other entries.

Disclaimer:
    Remember, do not just start deleting entries if you do not know what you are doing.

Guaran

nah,., problems didn't start UNTIL i got my geforce 5900.

CSR is doing a really good job responding to my ticket.. but we still cant find the cause [:'(]

Thread Information