Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic map markers?

Fridlekh

Default Dynamic map markers?

Proof of concept, by no means complete. Use at your own risk.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    http://mysite.verizon.net/~fridlekh/...LogMarkers.zip

impressions welcome.

Fridlekh

Default Re: Dynamic map markers?

This only concerns map markers. it has nothing to do with what map graphics are used.

I'm going to be rather busy today, but tomorrow I might have time to implement auto-checking of the clientprefs_main.def for logging settings, and the saving of pre-existing map markers to leave the file the way it was found on shutdown.

To do:

[General]
    Add a perminent marker list (markers that won't be removed when out of range. NPCs, machines, landmarks, etc)
    Scan the world cache for desired objects that won't load again after initially entering an area.
    Remove case sensativity from several string functions.
    Add more chat triggered functions and relax formatting constraints.

[GUI]
    Make a GUI.

lots of other stuff.

Fridlekh

I'd say yeah, you'll have a gazillion markers ... you'll be able to trun off various layers though,so it shouldn't be too bad. I don't use the map pack myself, but I programmed it in such a way that it should recognize any custom maps and place markers on them where apropriate.

Interesting to see how this turns out. I don't use pekkas because theres way more markers than necessary. ( a marker on every plot? why? ) How will this one compare to that? Just curious before I install it.

Fridlekh

currently it'll place a marker for every resource, entity (non PC), or object that's sent to the client. This means that if you have a sector in cache and it doesn't need an update, you won't see every tree, plot, and player structure on the map, but if you go somewhere new, you'll see more than you want to. If anything, you'll see more markers with this program, since I don't think the marker removal code can tell when to unload resource node markers (objects and ents unload correctly)... but when I'm finished, it'll only be markers in your area, not on the whole map.

I built in a filter array but it's been long enough since I looked at the code that I can't remember if I made a user interface for adding things to it. :-p I'm at a friend's house right now, and my home machine I develop on is offline due to a phone service outage in my area, and won't be back onlie with that system until Sunday. You're the first person to show interest in this for a while, and it IS still buggy alpha software. if you choose to use it, feel free to comment on what you think could be improved.

Friedlekh ... Just downloaded and installed this tonight ... It is superb ... Beyond the inital trouble of configuring it (did not have Enable Debug Logs turned on in the options on the client) ... I loved it ... The ability to see which nodes were there and what type they were made for hunting Shining Essence in the Yew trees more fun ... esp. when you don't know that as you drop down into somewhere wether there will be monsters there or not ...

Please keep up the work on this and if you need any more testing ... I am happy to help out ...

Ps: I have this loaded on top of Pekkas map pack and the what would be nice would be to specify just the resources you wanted to show at the moment / type so that you can filter the 'additions' you get to the map ... Or to have these icons in their own separate layer ...

Fridlekh

Well, I'm not exactly sure how the seperate layers thing works, but I think you have to make individual def files in each of the map directories and modify the UIMapWindow.def as well... Idon't use any map packs, so I'm afraid to go futzing with main window defs, and the individual map defs editing is a pain [:P]

... I'm also rather busy with college and have another project with higher priority. Next time I'm burnt out with other things though, I'll try and implement the following command, I think it'll probably do for your purposes.

lmset showfilter [string], [string], [string], ...

This will set a temporary display filter which will only show icons who's name fieldsinclude the string(s) specified. (with substring matching)

Currently the only filtering command avaliable is:

lmset addfilter <string>

Which permenantly removes icons with a name field that exactly matches the string. (deleting filters.dat will reset the filters list)

There are several things I'm not happy about with the current code, but haven't seen much interest in the program on top of being busy. If you bug me about it again when you get impatient, or get more people to provide some feedback, I'll probably get moving on it sooner.

Fridlekh

After working with Kumu on this for a while, then finally desciding I'd have to actually log in and test this myself... I learned that my program wasn't broken, the log files are. [:P]

a quick fix for this is avaliable at: [link]http://mysite.verizon.net/~fridlekh/HZProgs/LogMarkersAlpha3b.exe[/url]

on a side note, it is determined that %t% can be used to assist in the assigning of icons to things.

lmset seticon %t%,icon_name.png

This greatly reduces chance of typos since case doesn't matter in the file name. Lots of features still planned, stay tuned (once a week would probably be more than enough for the time being [:P]

Hi Fredlekh,

Is there a way you can implement an "lmset deleteicon" and "lmset iconlist" to show which we have enabled and a way to delete them please.

Thanks

Fourwinds

Fridlekh

Thanks for your suggestion, these are already planned along with several other features. Unfortunately I haven't figured out a way of sending a message to the client that will make it display in a chat window yet, still working on that.

When I get done with the other project I'm working on I'll have more time to devote to this one, and a new version will appear when I have a GUI built for it. With a GUI, there will be a much more convenient way of viewing, setting, adding, removing, etc to the lists that control behavior...

Reminder: This is alpha software! It shows a proof of concept, and has just enough implemented to allow other people to see that I've made soemthing that will maybe be useful someday. [:P]

Completely understand about alpha software and Proof of Concept stuff ... Work there myself ... Could you make it write them out to a text file at the current time so we know what is there?

This is great by the way and I really like it ;)

Fridlekh

open up the file IconTable.dat or Filters.dat in Notepad, or your favorite hex editor... They are just text arraya dumped out to files.

The format of these files is:

IconTable:
    [DWORD count ... Lbound = 0]
    [STRING * 64 ... case sensative match text]
    [STRING * 40 ... icon file name]
    [...]

FilterTable:
    [DWORD count ... Lbound = 0]
    [STRING * 64 ... match text (exact name match, not substring)]
    [...]

If you want to manually add filters or icons outside of the game, I'd suggest using a hex editor to let you more easily pad the space in the files with 0x00

Thanks, will do .. just needed to know the format ... Happy dragon now.

I am running 3b console and today when I did a /loadui in the middle of having the console running, the map updated with the latest dynamic marker set I had ... Also closing and reopening the map updates the set of markers ...

I have had to go back to using the LogMarkersAlpha3 exe file again as the LogMarkersAlpha3b file is just setting the Y value to 0 for me .... Also I went through and created a whole heap of new icons for metal and stone (individual icons for normal / rich / motherlode and each type) ... But I have come across a limitation in the number of icons that are loaded before the file just defaults back to the question mark ...

The number is around 106 markers or around 10924bytes

Is this a problem with my installation or with the program?

Thanks

Fourwinds

Quote Originally Posted by Fourwinds
    I have had to go back to using the LogMarkersAlpha3 exe file again as the LogMarkersAlpha3b file is just setting the Y value to 0 for me .... Also I went through and created a whole heap of new icons for metal and stone (individual icons for normal / rich / motherlode and each type) ... But I have come across a limitation in the number of icons that are loaded before the file just defaults back to the question mark ...

The number is around 106 markers or around 10924bytes

Is this a problem with my installation or with the program?

Thanks

Fourwinds
    Any news on this, or any chance of getting availablity to the source code?

Thanks,

Fridlekh

Renewed interest, along with a better understanding of GUI programming in C# means I'll be starting a re-write of this soon. Initial UI concepts to be posted to this thread for comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh
    Renewed interest, along with a better understanding of GUI programming in C# means I'll be starting a re-write of this soon. Initial UI concepts to be posted to this thread for comment.
    Excellent ... I look forwards to it ... Can I suggest using XML as the format for the linking between the name(s) / icon ... So either 1 or many names can be linked to the same icon

Fridlekh

Quote Originally Posted by Fourwinds

Excellent ... I look forwards to it ... Can I suggest using XML as the format for the linking between the name(s) / icon ... So either 1 or many names can be linked to the same icon
    All I know about XML is that whenever I look at it it makes my head hurt and I see no reason to ever use it, ever. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Fourwinds wrote:

All I know about XML is that whenever I look at it it makes my head hurt and I see no reason to ever use it, ever. [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    Sounds like my thoughts on hex codes [:D]

Thread Information