Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic map markers?

Talking Any new News

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh
    Renewed interest, along with a better understanding of GUI programming in C# means I'll be starting a re-write of this soon. Initial UI concepts to be posted to this thread for comment.
    Heya Fridlekh,

Is there any chance of an update to the original code (if possible) to extend the number of resources to icon mappings please whilst you work on the new version of this ...

How is the new version of this coming along ... This is such an invaluable tool for crafting on my dragon lair.

Thanks,

Fourwinds

I've just found this thread... heh, I intend on getting this set up later today and trying it out. I do recommend xml over hex for simple text storage. It's not nearly as complicated as it looks, after all you make the tags whatever you want them to be. No pressure though, I understand using something that you already know and are comfortable with.

This is a great idea and I hope it doesn't get dropped to the wayside. Is there anyway you would be willing to make this "open source"?

edit:
    Well I was intending to try this out, but none of the dl links are working. Is this still hosted somewhere?
    This page intentionally left blank.

Is anything happening with this? None of the links work anymore (including Kumu's hosting site)
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

thanks Kumu, I've been waiting for this
    This page intentionally left blank.

Hmm, I've tried using both the LogMarkersAlpha3 and LogMarkersAlpha3b files, but the console locks up for me in both cases and doesn't give any update reports, nor do I see anything other than NPCs and PCs on my map (default icons, not the ones from Pekkas/Cobol's map packs).
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

If you're using the client currently on blight this app is broken due to some prefs file changes that happened on blight.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Ok, lockups resolved (it was on blight). Now I'm seeing a map (on Chaos) that doesn't have any markers on it.

I am using LogMarkersAlpha3b, and in the console I am seeing updates for mob locations, adding and removing mobs and resources, etc.

I unzipped map_icons_complete to \resources_override\interface\themes\default\textu res\ to make sure that icon names were the same (I had been using Cobol's version 3.2 of Pekka's mappack previously but uninstalled it).

I am not using a special version (like the one that comes with Cobols mappack) of UIMapWindow.def, but I'm assuming that the program modifies it since I didn't see one in the .rar

Any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong?

You should be running LogMarkersAlpha3.exe, I think, not LogMarkersAlpha3b.exe.

Also, try creating a file named Filters.dat with nothing in it in the log marker dir.

Ok, tried all that... still not getting markers for resources to show up on the map.

Edit: I just clicked on the Add a New Marker button, and they showed up as the default markers instead of the ones from the mappack. Something seems strange here.
    Last edited by Oakleif; May 28th, 2006 at 03:58 PM.

Oh, yes... You need to alter the file \resources\interface\themes\defs\UIMapWindow.def. You need to comment in the CacheSize line and set it to 0. So:

// int CacheSize = 1

becomes:

int CacheSize = 0

edit: If you have the mappack installed you should edit the one in resource_override, otherwise you should edit the one in resources.

edit2: As for the default markers... Read the readme txt about adding new icons.
    Last edited by tramsan; May 28th, 2006 at 05:01 PM.

Did that, and don't have the map pack installed currently.

The buttons down the side of the map window are: group members, players, markers, NPCs, city names, player city names. All of them are on, but no resources show up on my map.

Should there be a button for resources?

As far as the markers for me to add, I unzipped the map_icons_complete.zip file into \resources_override\interface\themes\default\textu res\ the way the readme indicates, but I am not seeing them for my icons. Do I need to change some line in a def file to use those?

Hmm... got it working. Not sure exactly which change I did made it work, but the dynamic markers are now showing up under "Markers" tab.

Yes, they're supposed to show under markers. As for how to get the icons in the new marker window I can't help you.

Fridlekh

Yikes, keep getting busy and forget to work on my side-projects.

Someone poke me in IRC once in a while to remind me I need to do things like re-write my map marker program and get the player city names into the official map, etc.

Odd, I get a "Locked" message in my browser when I click on the link.
    Does that mean you are currently modifying your home page? I can try later I guess.

This is locked as well : http://mysite.verizon.net/~fridlekh/

Never saw a "Locked - The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied. " browser error message before

Fridlekh

That's because I haven't been a Verizon customer for a long time... I'm surprised the account hasn't been totally wiped yet... maybe they think I'll come back or something, heh.

Anyway, this project is mostly on hold for the time being. I might do some interface work but, until the ability to enable logging on startup comes back, I'm pretty much stuck without being able to do log parsing the way I have in the past.

Default So it's dead in the water then? For now?

Title says it all.

It's a shame I never got to see this work.

I like the map to have every possible detail imaginable. I not only like to know where *every* crafting machine (and resource) is, but also what level they are (beginner, journeyman, etc). Makes all the difference in the world when raising crafting.

I'm finding ALL the "latest" map packs to be extremely outdated, which is a shame. I wish someone was working on updating all the markers. I know how tedious it is to do it by hand. These "updated" markers are very outdated as well.

I remember applying for beta testing of this game, but I don't remember what ever happened with that. I was either invited and was too busy playing something else, or never got accepted. Anyway, seems like I found this game 1-2 years too late, as from what I've come to understand, hundreds of users have quit the game already, and with that, *updated* user supported mods.

Reasons I like it:
    1) I'm got nothing else to play - if I see another squad-based tactical shooter or WWII game come out, I'm gonna snap. Jeez, it the market saturated with these games or what?

2) I like having free client software, and the 2 week free trial was GREAT. I won't buy anything without seeing if I'll enjoy it first. Especially a monthly fee game.

more stuff to come, but all that belongs on another board.

Anyway, a big thanks to all the modders for improving the Horizon's gaming experience.

did you try the download link in
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...8&postcount=31

If that didnt work let me know (post here) and ill try to send you the one i got from that link.

This is alpha software. it is okay but still needs some polishing.

Yeah, I did, but tried it again in case there were any changes in there..

Either app just crashes on me. They start, open a window, then stop responding. Updating the map in the game doesn't add anything new.

Didn't the author?, post before mine, say that his hands are ties, as the logging doesn't work the way it used to (for his app to work). ?

One thing you have to know, Funnball, is that this app creates map markers from things that are around you. It is not a map pack, so it does not come with any markers pre-made.

The log issue Frid is talking about is that his app relies on the assumption that debug logs are turned on as the game loads... I don't really know what he's talking about - mine are turned on at startup.

Thread Information