Thread: The Withered Aegis

Default The Withered Aegis

I was looking through the Horizons lore and I noticed that there is very little on the Withered Aegis. Apparently, the Aegis was several factions of Undead whom Torrin Maclair united together to attack the Living Races. After Torrin Maclair's death (or assumed death) the Aegis broke up into different factions that are quite hostile to each other. That seems to be about all we know.

Some questions that come to mind are:

How many factions are there and what seperates them?

Which members of the Aegis are sentient? Is every bottom rung skeleton or zombie a sentient creature or are they merely killing machines? If the latter, is any part of the Aegis sentient?

Before the Undead were influenced by Torrin Maclair, were they aggressive and violent?

How did Torrin Maclair gain control of the Undead?

Since Torrin Maclair is no longer alive, what keeps the Aegis in the war?

Thank you.

Default Re: The Withered Aegis

We know of the following factions:

The Ebon Guard: this is the Lich King's force, sealed away by the druids and the dryads until recently. His troop comprised of skeletons of various powers and builds. His claim to infamy is the plundering of dragon graves and creation of undead dragons. I suppose the ebon forces that have been assaulting the cities are under his command as well. Since the merge, Lich King has been AWOL and his forces disappeared from the Deadlands.

The Crimson Scourge: Referred to as one of the first factions to come through the veil to Istaria. They've recently moved closer to the lands of the Living, setting up shop in the Eastern Blight. Their leader is not known.

We have also heard of someone - or something - called the Maggot Lord.

Finally, there is the faction that had enslaved the satyrs. Of that, we know virtually nothing, excpet that it's leader a bunch of lieutenants that tried to put a stop to the satyr liberation effort.

The leaders of the Aegis are definitely sentient. I would assume their aides and officers are also sentient. The cannon fodder - skeletons and whatnot - are probably not. Torrin was powerful enough a necromancer to unite the Aegis and give it direction. After his untimely passing, the factions have been content on carving out domains for themselves and slowly squeezing the life out of Istaria. I would assume their ultimate goal remains to blight the whole world. The fact is that the Living do not accept their presence, interlopers and invaders from the Realm of Blight, so either must go.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Default Re: The Withered Aegis

*Notice this is Player Character Created Fantasy lore non sanctioned by Tulga*

Torrin Mclare has a living decendant on Order. Not to reveal too much right now but the story is an ongoing storyline within the Disciples Guild. I'd encourage others to create their history for the world. Include your own characters as this is the the very purpose of an MMORPG. *Some things are not always as they seem.*

I can say Torrin made a pact with Niatha sacrificing his son in exchange for the power to gain vengence upon his enemies. Torrin now serves as a general in the Lich Kings Army.

As Gifted no one knows the lifespan of a gifted so anything could happen.

Have fun all [6]

With all the changes going on in canon, I wonder if that four factions thing is canon anymore, either. At least the Scourge and the Ebon Guard exist, unless they're going to retrofix what actually happened ingame. I also recall some talk about a Wraith Lord, leader of the wraiths (maybe canon still, maybe not). Who is the mastermind behind the latest offensive, the push towards Harro by kwellens and blight hounds, we have no clue yet.

I was under the impression that Torrin united several independant necromancers to create the WA, not living dead. The living dead themselves would be under the control of a necromancer.

After Torrin's demise, this council of necromancers would be in control of the WA. If they indeed split back into their seperate factions, that might account for the hostility between them.
    Flsssssh Rsssssst
    The appointed "Rhyming Rhapsodizer" of Blight
    Former Guild Leader of Blight's Conclave of Shadows

Weren't most of the Aegis lords - if not all of them - from the realm of Blight? Torrin Macalir was able to become their leader and successful conqueror because he was the most familiar with the ways of the Living. It's a given there were other necromancers too, but we have no knowledge of their existence or fates.

i'm not sure on this world but i do know abit about necromancers *grins* they can bing back undead and make them sentient lesser servants, some with great power(not to much though or they tend to try and take the necomancers place). this can range from guard this spot or attack this city(simple commands) to a commander of parts of his undead army. liches were all mortal at some point(not sure on the children of the blight though) and generally spend a good bit of thier mortal life learning the spells of death and eventually the ritual. the ritual usually involves horrid deeds such as the sacrifice of young children or in some cases the blood of the living tossed together with a complicated spell and sometimes an artifact of some type. none of them are smiled upon. after the transformation they generally gain great power and everlasting death as one of the highest forms of undead. because of the slaughter usually involved they are hated but usually not hunted as that's never a good idea *bows*
    Rother Galant-Order
    If a dragon was hiding under a rock would you be the one to tell him he's not fooling anyone?

Thread Information