Thread: Suggestion for a new WM run event that ALL can participate in

Default Suggestion for a new WM run event that ALL can participate in

Over this last weekend one of the adventurers on chaos held a very fun "ironman" race for lvl 1 racers ( sans clothes ).

What Killy did on Chaos, gives me an idea for how this could be extended to all players on a shard.

It would depend on having TG provide prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place that are so desirable that all will want to join the fun.

The idea breaks down like this... ( just a proposed example, all suggestions subject to change )

Have the race open to ALL races and ratings. No armor can be worn, only racial clothing. No weapons can be held, racers must hold a tool and sack/satchel. Any buffs the player can selfbuff with or potions they want to use is allowed. All racers would start at racial city ( like kira ) and have to run by road to no less that 4 towers, crisscrossing all of Istaria. All runners ( including dragons ) have to stay on the ground. Spotters will be stationed along the routes to make sure no cheating occurs. The first player to reach the finish line that has checked in at all 4 towers and has not cheated by leaving the road will be the grand prize winner.

Prizes must be something all races can use. I propose crystals. The items should be an attuned item that has a visible to all effect or above head test indication upon equiping the item. Thus we can insure that the prize is unique to this player, and not sellable. What kind of prize though, would capture all races envy? Some suggestions...

1. +50 speed buff. Once equipted the player recieves this as a passive buff that is not removed until the crystal is removed.
    2. A new delay to damage adjusted crystal like the dark garnet weapon crystal, only more obvious in it's effects and that works for all adventure classed and races.
    3. A passive health regen crystal that is adjusted for AR. The higher the AR the lower the healing. This would more desirable to single classed or low AR players.

WM's would award the prizes in a shard wide ceremony, where all see them equip it.

So tell me what you think...

As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Default Re: Suggestion for a new WM run event that ALL can participate in

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    Have the race open to ALL races and ratings. No armor can be worn, only racial clothing. No weapons can be held, racers must hold a tool and sack/satchel. Any buffs the player can selfbuff with or potions they want to use is allowed.
    Interesting.

Would need to have categories, aka tiers. Tier I characters with tier I speed buffages (spells or potion or sugar or etc.) and then the other tiers.

Dragons will have an advantage of thewing scales of speed (dragon jewelry, boots with speed are armor), other classes with Gift of Speed and Swift Feet, but I can see it coming down to a test of player skill and knowledge of the land. And plain luck of avoiding monster spawns (after all, can't or don't want to leave the road and its speed bonus). Wait, no speed bonus in combat I think.

Now for game and rendering lag - the smart players will adjust their settings, but some will be hampered by connections and just plain FPS. I have seen where a 30 FPS character will outrace a 5 FPS character with other things being equal. Don't know how to resolve that.

Now, to truly equal the playing field - require all participants to equip a cargo disc and give each two sets of bulky items (so it can't be taken into inventory).

That would be an interesting race - a final race of everybody dragging the same type of cargo disc.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Default Re: Suggestion for a new WM run event that ALL can participate in

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65

hehehehehehehe good idea Jaraiden. You'd have to make it a short race though[img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]. I'm not sure people would apperciate running across all istaria 4 times at speed 10 hehe.

Aamer, I seem to remember figuring out one day that as a ranger with my buffs, sprint, potions,equipment,and food, I might be able to make ~200 speed on a road. Can any other class come CLOSE to that? The winning of said race(or any race)would be a saris ranger, mark my words[img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img].
    That was why Killy's race the players had to be human (No saris sprint). The prize was 500s. They had to be freshly created toons, no boots, armor, nothing. Naked. and race across the Island of ice. no potions or gifts, only sprint ability was allowed. They had to stay on the road. If killed by ice beetles or emerald golems, they had to recall and start over. Was too funny.

Now, a big race across all istaria, I do not see a way to prevent cheating or unfair advantagesunless a buff is placed on all participants that is several hour long effect, non-cleansable, that prevents flight, saris sprint, and fills all the gift slots. Would not be any other way to make it fair.

Dragging a special disk that had a speed limit of say 45 and it's own bulk of15,000to the 4 various checkpoints seems like a good possible way to accomplish making it fair.Allow road bonus. Either make the disk stay affixed even in death, or allow normal speeds when trying to get back to the disk to re-attach it. Or as a second piece, the WM could cast a debuff that unequips all armor-scales-jewelry-weapons, that will stay on the player even in death. If it can't stay on the player in death, then player must return to the start to be re-buffed in the event of death.Then return to where they died to retrieve-reattach the disk. ONLY with the buff can the special disk be equipped, and only with the buff and the disk equipped can each checkpoint as passed be counted. Since the disk weighs more than any current disk or person could otherwise carry, they must drag it to each checkpoint the slow way.

Cool, unique crystals, or perhaps a choice of various items could be offered as the prizes. 1st second and third could each pick from a bag of prizes, in order.

Knowing the land and whether passing thru this particular area if it's better to go offroad and lose the road bonus, or stay on road, would make the race a challenge. to further make the race equal to all players (if desired) the WM buff could cap/boost all armor to 100, innate or otherwise, cap/boost all HP to 500, spellbind, fill all gift slots, disable saris sprint, un-equip all jewelry,armor,scales,weapons disable flight. Bascially handicap/buff everyone to equal stats.Have the WM casted buff be dispelled by using ANY potions. Which would un-equip the disk. ( same effects/penalty as death)

Handicapping would be only way to make 75% of the population have nothing to complain about. And would make it fair. All players old and new could compete equally. Only the knowledge of the land would benefit. Which makes sense as some kind of strategy would be what makes it interesting and competitive.

I'm hoping Killy does the race againnext weekend :)

Thread Information