Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Patcher problems being solved... don't NOBODY quit just yet.

Default Re: Patcher problems may force me to quit

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Gwareth
    Dennett is continuing to work on the patcher and we appreciate your patience in this matter. I encourage everyone who is having difficulties to open a ticket at support . istaria . com and the customer support team will assist you. They have been working hard to get many players online and playing.
    Support site hasn't worked for me in over a year, so I will continue email and/or direct communiations.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    There is NO way that TG can forsee every possible way a person could setup there connection to the internet, nor all the various ways it can get hosed. Asking for DETAILED rundowns of anyone specific problem is the only way to provide solutions. Let's all take a deep breath, clearly explain how we are set up, and work through the problems.
    The point is that there was NO NEED to do it the way they did. It was a "gee whiz, let's use this here newdamnfangled dotnet cheezywhitchits so we look kewl with der latest techie trends" move.

There's MILLIONS of lines of working, optimized, and time-tested codebases out there that do what they are trying to do, and the vast majority of them don't need .NET OR ActiveX to work. But, instead of using something that works, they opted to take a big gamble. Well, the bets are in, the horses are running, and Gluemaker.NET is falling behind. No surprise. Right now, if I was the project manager for the new patcher, someone's arse would be scorching, right there with my own.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

The main thing is as the patcher gets a few bugs worked out of it that everyone try it until everyone can use it. Only then can we move along. For those just using the old patcher it will not help anybody unless when the patcher is updated you try again. [8-|]
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

If SOE, Valve, and half a zillion other companies can get a patcher that doesn't require further reduction of already questionable security then so can AE/TG. What they are asking us to do to run the new patcher is unreasonable and unsafe.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Theolaerynn
    If SOE, Valve, and half a zillion other companies can get a patcher that doesn't require further reduction of already questionable security then so can AE/TG. What they are asking us to do to run the new patcher is unreasonable and unsafe.
    Yeah nobody wants you to open your firewall but Tulga!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic DAoC Knowledge Base
    Please note: Mythic Entertainment will not be able to assist with the setup for users running behind a PROXY server or any home network setup. Please contact your ISP, computer manufacturer or networking hardware manufacturer for further assistance on configuring Dark Age of Camelot to run through your PROXY server or Home network.

All UDP ports 1024->65535
    TCP ports 1280, 10500 and 10622

Make sure to open 2-way traffic to the following class C:

208.254.16.0 / 255.255.255.0 (netmask)
    a.k.a.
    208.254.16.0 / 24 (universal)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOE Knowledge base article
    Disabling Firewall while playing Everquest will fix this or setting firewall to trust our site. Also, Use these settings in your FireWall properties....

...Please note that EverQuest opens a random UDP data port from the player's PC every time EverQuest is run. Thus, the need to have all ports >= 1024 available
    Quote Originally Posted by Sony Knowledge Base
    EverQuest II LaunchPad and Patch Servers
    A TCP connection is initiated from the LaunchPad client port > 1023 to patch.station.sony.com port 7000.
    A UDP connection is initiated from the LaunchPad client port > 1023 to sdlaunchpad1.station.sony.com and sdlaunchpad2.station.sony.com port range 3016-3021 and 9700-9703.

EverQuest II Patch:
    A TCP connection is initiated from the EverQuest II client port > 1023 to patch.everquest2.com, ablpatch.everquest2.com, abepatch.everquest2.com, or rrpatch.everquest2.com at port 7010.

EverQuest II Game Client:
    UDP connections are initiated from the EverQuest II client port >1023 to servers on UDP ports 9100, and UDP ports in the range 32800-33000.
    Additionally, ICMP messages type 0 (echo reply), 3 (unreachable), 8 (echo request) and 11 (expired) should be permitted bi-directionally between the client PC and the EverQuest II servers.
    Or how about this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sony Knowledge Base Article
    How do I set my LinkSys BEFSX41 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint to work with EverQuest II?

Open a browser window and type 192.168.1.1 in the address field (or if you've changed the default IP of your router, type that IP into the window).
    2. Log into the router with a blank username and the password admin if you have changed the router's default administrator login, substitute it instead.
    3. Click on the tab labeled Password.
    4. Select the Yes radio button for the option to Restore Factory Defaults.
    5. Click Apply at the bottom. This should bring up a confirmation window.
    6. Click Yes on the window. This should bring up a success screen.
    7. Click Continue on the success screen.
    8. If you have set the router to a static IP, then you would redo those settings at this point, or if your ISP requires a login, or you are using PPPoE**, then this is also the time to input those details.
    Lets just hope that you don't need any special settings on your router hey?

Pillaging the land and spreading Pandemonium Amongst Chaos
    Stranyr Al-Qroni
    Knight of Creation/Sorcerer
    GuildMaster of Pirates of Pandemonium

Quote Originally Posted by Stranyr
    Yeah nobody wants you to open your firewall but Tulga!
    You listed good points. I guess that because I have never had these kinds of issues with any other game, I haven't dug for those kinds of posts. My reply would be the same to them as it is to AE/TG, but your point is still just as valid.

Kinda like that whole invasion of privacy upraor with Blizzard and Starcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranyr
    Or how about this one!
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Sony Knowledge Base Article wrote:
    How do I set my LinkSys BEFSX41 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint to work with EverQuest II?

Open a browser window and type 192.168.1.1 in the address field (or if you've changed the default IP of your router, type that IP into the window).
    2. Log into the router with a blank username and the password admin if you have changed the router's default administrator login, substitute it instead.
    3. Click on the tab labeled Password.
    4. Select the Yes radio button for the option to Restore Factory Defaults.
    5. Click Apply at the bottom. This should bring up a confirmation window.
    6. Click Yes on the window. This should bring up a success screen.
    7. Click Continue on the success screen.
    8. If you have set the router to a static IP, then you would redo those settings at this point, or if your ISP requires a login, or you are using PPPoE**, then this is also the time to input those details. Lets just hope that you don't need any special settings on your router hey?
    Other than the irresponsability that could lead the user to cut themselves off from the internet, which is pretty lame all by itself, I do not see a security issue here. Did I miss the point, or was it about the special settings and not about security?

- Albert Einstein

That one just came up in my search and I thought it was much too funny that they could possible have a problem with a router that required reseting it to defaults... why not just have the person change the item in question

(I have worked with these routers and they react the same as any other linksys router up to firmware version 1.50.18 which has an MTU issue, and you have to go back to 1.50.9 to fix it)

That is an example of an Unreasonable request IMO (reset your router to defaults it will work fine then?)

Pillaging the land and spreading Pandemonium Amongst Chaos
    Stranyr Al-Qroni
    Knight of Creation/Sorcerer
    GuildMaster of Pirates of Pandemonium

Yea, it is pretty amusing really :) I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something, but that note you found did make me laugh :)

Troubleshooting router issues can really suck too, even while you are right there. I have had to do it remotely in a few select instances, so I really can't imagine how much it must suck for AE/TG to have to figure this stuff out. Throw in the fact that they are using some third party software, and now you get the joy of deciding if it is user configuration, developer configuration, or a bug in the tool itself (and have no source probably to debug it).

- Albert Einstein

Thread Information