Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TG: Game Patcher - Troubleshooting Tips

Zideon Locke

Default TG: Game Patcher - Troubleshooting Tips

Over the last few days we've noticed some of our customers have been unable to use the new patcher. After looking through the issues people were having, and helping specific indivuals over the last few days get their computer able to run the new patcher, I have compiled a list of known issues. Problem: The user does not have Certificate Authority our new digital signature came from in their computer. Frequency:Very Common Details: Tulga Games purchased a digitol certificate from a different company then Artifact Entertainment did to sign their patcher control. Because of this, some people have the company AE used, but don't have a more recent version that includes the company Tulga Games purchased from. Symptoms: 1) Get message stating Internet explorer blocked an activeX control from running in an unsafe manner. 2) An Error occurs on the page. Line 213, stating, among other things, that there was a registry permissions error. Fix: Download and run this file from Microsoft. This program provides no feedback, but updates your computer's root certificates to the current version, which includes both Digital Signatories. Problem: Security Levels set too high Details: If internet Explorer settings are set too high, the patcher can not load or run. Frequency: Slightly common Symptoms: 1) Get message stating Internet explorer blocked an activeX control from running in an unsafe manner. 2) An Error occurs on the page. Line 213, stating, among other things, that there was a registry permissions error. Fix: Add https://horizons.istaria.com toyour trusted sites (open a web browser, go to tools -> Internet Options -> Security, and click on the Trusted Sites Icon).Then put everything inyour trusted sites under activeX controls as prompt or enabled (by selecting custom properties). Problem: Firewall Blocking FTP Details: Because the new patcher uses FTP, some users might not have the ports open that they need to use this proticle with the Horizons FTP server. Frequency: Slightly Common Symptoms: 1) Whenyou go to new patcher page, page "hangs, crashes, or stops responding". 2) All files in your Horizons\Launcher directory are size 0. Fix: Make sure no firewall is running, or that you have opened the following ports: TCP:65003-65050. Also if you have a firewall please make sure your router allows passive FTP. Problem: .NET Framework 2.0 Beta Installed Details: Because the .NET framework 2.0 is still in Beta, the patcher does not applythe requiredupdates to the framework. Frequency: Rare Symptoms: 1) An Error occurs on the page. Line 213, stating, among other things, that there was a registry permissions error. Fix: Remove .NET framework 2.0 from you computer, or browse (using CMD.exe, a dos window)to the folder containing the 2.0 Beta Framework and enter the following three lines, hitting enter after each one. caspol.exe -q -machine -addgroup All_Code -site horizons.istaria.com FullTrust -name ArtifactCG -d "Artifact Entertainment Code Group to execute User Controls in Internet Explorer"
    caspol.exe -q -machine -addgroup All_Code -site 68.142.64.215 FullTrust -name ArtifactCG -d "Artifact Entertainment Code Group to execute User Controls in Internet Explorer"
    caspol.exe -q -machine -addgroup All_Code -site 68.142.64.212 FullTrust -name ArtifactCG -d "Artifact Entertainment Code Group to execute User Controls in Internet Explorer"
    Problem: Using old Caspol, plus Windows is not installed on the c drive Details: A previous version of the patcher had a hidden requirement that the Window's System directory was on the c drive. That was fixed in the latest version, but somepeoplecould have the old patcher files. This error also occurs if you are using the IP address, not the DNS address (horizons.istaria.com) to access Horizons and you have the old patcher files, as well. Frequency: Rare Symptoms: 1) An Error occurs on the page. Line 213, stating, among other things, that there was a registry permissions error. Fix (2): 1) Download the following file, and run it on your local machine. 2) Delete your Horizons\Launcher folder, close all web browsers, and try patching again.

Default Re: Updated Patcher issue list w/troubleshooting

Problem: The Patcher installs and runs properly on launch, however does not launch the game.
    Frequency: ? Details: On Windows 98 machines (possibly others), the patcher will install properly, and will run when the user types in their login information and presses the "Play Horizons" button. However, once the patcher performs and completes the update process, it exits, and the Horizons.exe does not launch.
    Symptoms:User clicks "Play Horizons", patcher launches, executes normally, exits, and nothing further happens. Repeated attempts result in the same behavior.
    Fix: Use the Old Patcher.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Performed the top and last Problem, one or both of them worked for me. Logged in currently, thanks.
    Somewhere between the Sacred Silence and Sleep there is Order -System of a Down
    Let's have a war, clean out this place - A Perfect Circle

Here's something new exciting.....I can get in on one account but not my other two.....I get teh char 5, line 213 registry error. I downloaded the MS file and the HZ file, but still can't get in on my other two accounts.
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

I just get an "Error on page" in the lower left of my browser window and the launcher never starts, when I click "Play Horizons" from the new patcher login screen.

It was working with a previous version of the new patcher, so I know I have everything I need installed. I updated my certificates and same error.

EDIT: trying deleting the launcher folder and rerunning. It worked.
    Leviathan (formerly known as "Skald")
    100 ADV / 100 DCRA / 95 LSH Ancient Lunus Dragon (Order Shard)
    67 million Hoard...and rising!

"I kill where I wish and none dare resist...my armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" - Smaug the Mighty

Fel Tir

Same as Leviathan. Funny thing, have to remove the launcher folder each time for it to work. Also, do not get the "Error on page" message until I hit thePlay Horizons button....before that it just says "Done." Also tried unchecking multithread and deleting launcher.ocx no difference.

Edit: Additional note, that happens on my WinXP Pro box, does not happen on my Win2K server box. Win2K Server boxlaunches finewith both current and "new" patcher.

Edit 2: Added https://horizons.istaria.com to Privacy - Web Sites - Edit. And now I get the Line 213 error, but downloading the file rootsupd_...exe and installing it does not work. So now instead of a "Error on page" message when clicking Play Horizons, now I get an "icon Error on page" message. Icon looks like a white sheet of paper with a yellow triangle over it and a ! in the triangle.

I get message about activex blocked.

I did #1 and #2....and I also deleted launcher folder.

No go. I still get activex blocked.

So, any other ideas because the new patcher sure as hell won't work.

Ok, I deleted the lauchner folder, and now it works fine. My question, is how and if , is this done for multliple accounts?

Ahkaskar

It just simply isn't working for me. IE freezes in mid-download. https://horizons.istaria.com is in my trusted sites list, and I've tried deleting the launcher folder, as well as the ActiveX object. It doesn't seem to want to download it, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Zideon Locke
    Problem: Firewall Blocking FTP Details: Because the new patcher uses FTP, some users might not have the ports open that they need to use this proticle with the Horizons FTP server. Frequency: Slightly Common Symptoms: 1) Whenyou go to new patcher page, page "hangs, crashes, or stops responding". 2) All files in your Horizons\Launcher directory are size 0. Fix: Make sure no firewall is running, or that you have opened the following ports: TCP:65003-65050. Also if you have a firewall please make sure your router allows passive FTP.
    Some of the things you are asking us to do are very unsafe, as outlined on page two of another thread. Check the SANS info.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

My husband and I still have the exact same problem as Maltavorn. The patcher works just fine, it even patches all the map files when doing a full scan (I use the mappack). Then when the patcher finishes what it does..... nothing happens. The game does not launch. Yes, both machines run Win98SE. :P

I really hope this is fixed before the old patcher disappears forever.
    Tympest Stormchaser
    100/100 Ancient Lunus Dragon - Retired
    Erus Ex Istaria - Order

Ok, here is what is happening. I click the right side to log in now, on the log in screen for the patcher, and nothing happens. I cannot enter the game at all. This is something new that is happening with me. Going back to the old patcher now. Nothing happening means it just sits there and doesnt react or enter game. Hope that makes sense.

peaches can you resticky this?
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

I had the same problem as Pharcellus outlined, used the old patcher, things went fine.

Now, though, I don't seem to be getting an option to use the new patcher. The multithreaded box isn't there anymore, and the transparent loading icon does not appear; my launch looks just like it always did, other than having the right hand column option for the old patcher.

It could be as simple as TG having rolled it back again without me noticing, of course. Could someone say if the new patcher is still in place? Or if maybe, having installed it once, I am automatically using it? Note that I am clueless about the inner workings of software and computers, they are pretty much sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic as far as I am concerned. So this might be a real stupid question, I just don't know any better .. be gentle with me :).

-Levity Merrel

The new patcher is still there, they just changed the old patcher to the default. To try the new patcher, you need to click the link on the left where the connection to the old patcher used to be.

Also, I've tried these things, still getting ActiveX blocked.

Lumineux Talar

Azuria

I did everything as instructed. When I went to the firewall port settings, my version prohibits typing any character except numerals; commas and dashes are verboten.

Ahkaskar

Meh. I didn't see the one issue in the list when I posted.

My router doesn't block outgoing FTP. And since IE's supposed to be using passive FTP, there should be no chance of it borking. But it is. It'd probably help if I could tell if the connection to the server was even going through at all. The blinking light on my network connection icon doesn't tell me much, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Theolaerynn
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Zideon Locke wrote: Problem: Firewall Blocking FTP Details: Because the new patcher uses FTP, some users might not have the ports open that they need to use this proticle with the Horizons FTP server. Frequency: Slightly Common Symptoms: 1) Whenyou go to new patcher page, page "hangs, crashes, or stops responding". 2) All files in your Horizons\Launcher directory are size 0. Fix: Make sure no firewall is running, or that you have opened the following ports: TCP:65003-65050. Also if you have a firewall please make sure your router allows passive FTP.
    Some of the things you are asking us to do are very unsafe, as outlined on page two of another thread. Check the SANS info.
    So what is dangerous about opening those ports? those are common enough ports, actaully IIRC just about every program that uses FTP protocol asks you to open ports in the 65000 range, I wonder why?

OH YEAH! they are the ports that FTP uses to transfer data and if you have an active firewall you have to open them up or FTP doesn't work!!

Simply because you hate Microsoft is no reason to spout scare tactics.

As to the Active X issue, if you ONLY make security changes for trusted sites and the only trusted site you have is https://horizons.istaria.com then Guess what?

No other site has access to the lower level of security!!!

Please try to keep up with the class.

Oh an by the way I went to SANS but my security settings indicated that it was an unsafe page so I left :)

Pillaging the land and spreading Pandemonium Amongst Chaos
    Stranyr Al-Qroni
    Knight of Creation/Sorcerer
    GuildMaster of Pirates of Pandemonium

liliputt

Hi folks

I just purchased Horizons to take a look at the game as I love to craft in other MMO's and this one seemed like a good idea.

OK the problem occurs here. I am on Dialup (No ADSL here) and unfortunately dialup in Australia has a cut off time or around 6-8hrs. Game installs no problem and I can start to use either new or old updater without any issues. My problem occurs when it has downloaded around 100mb of the 240mb update that is required to get it to the current version I restart the updater and get the following error.

This application has failed to start because stlport_vc71g46.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

All well and good except the patcher has to do 240mb again.

Any clues?

Hmmmm...That's a problem that I have seen in spots for a while, never found out the solution though...it only seems to affect a few people though, as far as I can see...send a PM to Amon or Zideon or any of the devs, and they can probably help you out...

Hope to see you in Istaria soon, if you come to Order send me a tell, I'll see if I can help you out...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Thread Information