Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Auth Server Down

Default Re: Auth Server Down

The login screen doesn't show the chars anymore so something has changed -- which hopefully means someone at the other side has noticed and is working on the problem.

I would like to get the discussions to a slightly different track:

If it is true that:

1) GN cannot afford to pay enough employes so that the server status can be monitored 24/7
    2) this is due to the small income Unity generates (because of the small player base)
    3) players get disgruntled by server breakdowns that are not fixed (and not acknowledged)

than this road leads straight to hell -- in other words the player base gets smaller and smaller and some day everything will just shut down.

It is my opinion that:

1) a healthy server status is necessary to keep people in the community
    2) to ensure that, people must be present on weekends -- and get paid for it. And since everyone should have leisure time, that means hiring more people

And this leads to the conclusion that the owners of horizons have to decide whether to invest in the future of the european horizons or not -- the latter means the death of this game. Slowly, but surely. And they should not forget that such a failure is damaging to their reputation and thus to future commerce.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Maybe they should close the eu server and move unity to the US server. Think that maybe would save them for some money

Abbie
    Abbie: 100 Sorcerer, 100 Wizard, 100 Conjurer, 100 Chaos Warrior

Okey boys and girls, shouldn't we occupy our time with something else than just frustration, frustration and anger ? let's do some lemmings instead [;)] http://193.151.73.87/games/lemmings/ or pray for the pope for his easier trip from this world to the other ...[:^)]
    Proud member of Angelic Protectors
    66 wizard / 36 mage / 21 healer / 20 cleric
    44 mason / 26 spellcrafter / 11 scholar

Quest Team member click here
    Horizons IRC chat

Hi all,

I see I didn't miss much today while sanding (remodling stuff to do at home).

I was all starting to look so much better, getting better informed by GN. All these new patches and content improvements.

Sadly enough these are things that can happen I just don't understand why they moved back to 1 maintenance as the previous setup seem to secure our weekend game play way better.

The login screen doesn't show the chars anymore so something has changed -- which hopefully means someone at the other side has noticed and is working on the problem.

I would like to get the discussions to a slightly different track:

If it is true that:

1) GN cannot afford to pay enough employes so that the server status can be monitored 24/7
    2) this is due to the small income Unity generates (because of the small player base)
    3) players get disgruntled by server breakdowns that are not fixed (and not acknowledged)

than this road leads straight to hell -- in other words the player base gets smaller and smaller and some day everything will just shut down.

It is my opinion that:

1) a healthy server status is necessary to keep people in the community
    2) to ensure that, people must be present on weekends -- and get paid for it. And since everyone should have leisure time, that means hiring more people

And this leads to the conclusion that the owners of horizons have to decide whether to invest in the future of the european horizons or not -- the latter means the death of this game. Slowly, but surely. And they should not forget that such a failure is damaging to their reputation and thus to future commerce.
    Nothing to add[Y]
    By showing this kind of problem,players (I mean old and new ones)are telling themselves that things didn't change.I mean the content changed of corse,and it's keeping improving,but that kind of problem we are meeting today should not be met anymore I think (not the fact that auth server went down.Those things happens[:)],but waiting nearly 6 hours until somebody sees it )

Shades

so how long has the sever been down now? seems we should just let them get on with fixing it than sit here and post backslabing them let them work and soon we can all get back to playing the game.

imported_Elspeth

From the login page

"We are currently experiencing a sever issue with the Auth Server of Horizons. We're actively working on the problem, but at this moment it is not possible to evaluate how long it could take to have the problem solved.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we announce that we will refund any time lost on the active accounts."

So at least it is noe officially known about
    Regards

Elspeth

Quote Originally Posted by Shades
    so how long has the sever been down now?
    went down at just after 6am GMT so 6h30mins and counting so far[:(]
    Kaze Ancient Lunus Dragon 100/100 ~7 million hoard (Lv75)

Godly Archer

I cant believe this
    when i have to play cant log
    [:(]

oh yes they are ...
    ... humans aswell as
    ... getting payed to keep the servers up.
    Nope, they are... or to be more precise, he IS paid for a job for a business whose income probably is barely keeping up with the costs.
    I made up some quick calculations and with the huge taxes Italian companies have to cope, they have more or less oxygen enough to maintain the hardware and a regular employee but nothing more.
    Even the connectivity is "paid" just because Hz cost is lessened because GN have other activities so the cost is shared.

So basically they are paid to keep the servers up... given the constraints. Which are extremely heavy.
    Nor you can expect that Luca does ALL weeks unpaid slavework off business hours.

Wake up: this is a SMALL playerbase of an extremely niche game.
    Just my flagged "Low population" shard out of tens in Wow has more players in the night than ALL the Horizons shards in the world have at peak time.
    Of course Blizzard will have improved housekeeping with the obvious orders of magnitude income and still I get severe lag and disconnections pretty frequently. And I quit a shard because after 2 days it was still completely unplayable despite the WMs knowing about it.

As most of the time, the problem is with information. If I would know, that someone is taking care of the problem, then I would not be angry about this situation. No one expects GN to have an eye on the servers every second around the clock or to react to any problems within the minute ...

... but the auth-server is down for well over 5 hours now wihtout even the slightest sign of life from GN or any ETA for the problem to be solved. You do not even know if anyone took note of the whole situation at all
    The problem is that until an employee out of his pure sense of doing his work (in Italy work contracts don't cover week ends unless you do special arrangements and working on shift and in the week ends is a matter for very few and uber paid people) does not log in at home to check if all is going well, he has no magic orb saying that the shards work.
    They should have iirc a SMS message coming that tells them that something got screwy but if this happens while they are trekking on a mountain they won't be able to insta-fix it.

Don't misunderstand, I am locked out too like you but Hz is like that: a small, small, SMALL game for the most hardcore people that will endure all the crap but to keep it alive.

Many did not accept it and quit and the game will possibly die given enough time by players starvation.
    All you can obtain by going berzerk over this is to discourage more people and make them quit, shortening the time to death of the game.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

This is bull*hit Vahrokh, dont get me wrong I do love the game IMO it is the best MMORPG out there and I do agree with you with most of what you seek and think of the game itself , but GN is getting on the nerves off everyone, there is nothing right in defending Luca or whoever, I dont care for the person, I dont care about him talking on IRC joking with players, I consider it a waste of time for MONEY WE PAY. All this attitude from GN is VERY "unprofessionnal" they have no excuse, we pay for all time gaming not only weekdays or whenever someone at GN wakes up. They are well protected behind the EULA/licence drom law actions that is their luck otherwise they would be sued by some i am sure. If they cant hold on to what they re supposed to sellu s there is no excuse for it. I dont give a .... if employees have to be paid more in weekends or at night. I am really sick now seeing people defending Luca or GN, this company is just here to do business with us we pay so that we can play. At the moment we cant play and that is THEIR fault and only their they dont respect the customers, and Luca is no better than the company that pays him. His responses to CUSTOMERS we are are sometimes not so polite even ( check last "maintenance" thread ).
    Ishar Xhaan => Ishar_Wind Xhaan => Imrryr Xhaan Lunus Destroyer
    and his biped slave KalTorak XhaanSlave Ice Disciple
    == Ancient Order Of Istarian Knights ==

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh

oh yes they are ...
    ... humans aswell as
    ... getting payed to keep the servers up.

Nope, they are... or to be more precise, he IS paid for a job for a business whose income probably is barely keeping up with the costs.
    I made up some quick calculations and with the huge taxes Italian companies have to cope, they have more or less oxygen enough to maintain the hardware and a regular employee but nothing more.
    Even the connectivity is "paid" just because Hz cost is lessened because GN have other activities so the cost is shared.

So basically they are paid to keep the servers up... given the constraints. Which are extremely heavy.
    Nor you can expect that Luca does ALL weeks unpaid slavework off business hours.

Wake up: this is a SMALL playerbase of an extremely niche game.
    Just my flagged "Low population" shard out of tens in Wow has more players in the night than ALL the Horizons shards in the world have at peak time.
    Of course Blizzard will have improved housekeeping with the obvious orders of magnitude income and still I get severe lag and disconnections pretty frequently. And I quit a shard because after 2 days it was still completely unplayable despite the WMs knowing about it.

As most of the time, the problem is with information. If I would know, that someone is taking care of the problem, then I would not be angry about this situation. No one expects GN to have an eye on the servers every second around the clock or to react to any problems within the minute ...

... but the auth-server is down for well over 5 hours now wihtout even the slightest sign of life from GN or any ETA for the problem to be solved. You do not even know if anyone took note of the whole situation at all

The problem is that until an employee out of his pure sense of doing his work (in Italy work contracts don't cover week ends unless you do special arrangements and working on shift and in the week ends is a matter for very few and uber paid people) does not log in at home to check if all is going well, he has no magic orb saying that the shards work.
    They should have iirc a SMS message coming that tells them that something got screwy but if this happens while they are trekking on a mountain they won't be able to insta-fix it.

Don't misunderstand, I am locked out too like you but Hz is like that: a small, small, SMALL game for the most hardcore people that will endure all the crap but to keep it alive.

Many did not accept it and quit and the game will possibly die given enough time by players starvation.
    All you can obtain by going berzerk over this is to discourage more people and make them quit, shortening the time to death of the game.
    i did another calculation. and at its end hz is daed cos such thins like today.
    know what. i'll let that game die. i dont renew my account, tell everyone asking me whow crap (or not existing) the support is and then this little poor italian luca could go to where the pope is actually going to and i wont care anymore.

.Community: Auth Server Down 02/04/2005 We are currently experiencing a sever issue with the Auth Server of Horizons. We're actively working on the problem, but at this moment it is not possible to evaluate how long it could take to have the problem solved.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we announce that we will refund any time lost on the active accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we announce that we will refund any time lost on the active accounts.
    as often as i have seen that sentence from gn i would translate it like that:
    We really don't care about you Customers so shut up and pay your next billing period.

Just realised this still said Ice....oopsie

It is possible that someone was working on the issue but they:

1. May not speak english (as GN is based in Italy and the servers are in Germany IIRC this isnt too hard to believe)
    2. May not have access to these forums OR permission to post here by GN
    3. May not know how to post updates on the login page OR permisstion to post by GN

Now Im not saying 100% this is the case but please calm down! Downtime is frustrating and no updates does add to that but it is an online game and unfortunately it does happen sometimes. At least now things have gotten better even with a single downtime each week.
    And as seen above they have offered to refund the downtime. [:)]
    Give Unity the support it deserves!

Snowy

http://community.istaria.com/Default.aspx?pg=default&nid=221

Maybe there is hope for a general server not like now with NA/EU splitting
    Or why should they test it

Lothlorin

still down at 15:25 [:'(]

Quote Originally Posted by Lothlorin
    still down at 15:25 [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img]
    Aye this is getting a little boring I have nearly finished war & peace (see earlier posting)
    Kaze Ancient Lunus Dragon 100/100 ~7 million hoard (Lv75)

Keeneye Red

Relax, take it easy and chill out. Getting yourselves all worked up over it does you no good at all.

Don`t worry
    About a thing
    Cos every little thing is gonna be alright
    Baby don`t worry
    About a thing....

or

Always look on the bright side of life....

or

And I think to myself
    What a wonderful World
    Yes I think to myself
    What a wonderful World

Well you get my meaning so just chill folks....

Peace [}]

Shades

so basicly panic, scream and let hell losse... oh wait wrong game.. playing way to much Mercenaries: playground of destrudtion and im getting bored of blowing things up. i want to craft a hunt and play online with my guild....

HURRY UP!!!

Thread Information